Status
Not open for further replies.
Alas, Babylon - Pat Frank
On the Beach - Nevil Shute
Warday - Whitley Streiber and James Kunnetka
Malevil - Robert Merle
The Stand - Stephen King

Without any narrative

Looks like it's behind a pay wall. Can you list the 10 books please?
Here ya go -

“A Canticle for Leibowitz” by Walter M. Miller Jr.
“Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury
“Fiskadoro” by Denis Johnson
“The Last Man” by Mary Shelley
“An Unkindness of Ghosts” by Rivers Solomon
“The Four-Gated City” by Doris Lessing
“The Apocalypse Triptych” series
“The Road” by Cormac McCarthy
“Station Eleven” by Emily St. John Mandel
“Blindness” by José Saramago

The Last Canadian
The Last Canadian — Grady Hendrix

It's an end-of-the-world novel that is essentially a maple-flavored version of Stephen King's The Stand and it's supposedly the basis for the Steven Seagal movie, The Patriot, even though they have almost nothing in common besides a super-plague. It is also a cause of great consternation among the few people who've read it because the main character is neither the last of anything, nor Canadian.

Eugene Arnipoor is an engineer living in Montreal when a plague appears in the United States and, like power ballads and anti-piracy bills, eventually spreads into Canada. It's one of those diseases invented by impatient authors that kills everyone who comes into contact with it in about 20 minutes. On top of that, it's airborne and moves faster than Fedex. You can be standing 50 feet away from someone who's infected and suddenly — whammo! — you're on the ground, dead, so the plot can keep moving. No awkward and prolonged symptomatic period here.

Here ya go -

“A Canticle for Leibowitz” by Walter M. Miller Jr.
“Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury
“Fiskadoro” by Denis Johnson
“The Last Man” by Mary Shelley
“An Unkindness of Ghosts” by Rivers Solomon
“The Four-Gated City” by Doris Lessing
“The Apocalypse Triptych” series
“The Road” by Cormac McCarthy
“Station Eleven” by Emily St. John Mandel
“Blindness” by José Saramago

If folks have read some of these, can you comment on how good they were?

I read in High School Fahrenheit 451, its so long ago that I cannot remember if it was good, but it is certainly memorable.

Conversely, I tried to read on the Beach, and it's one of the very few books I had to stop reading in my life as it was too boring.

I read in High School Fahrenheit 451, its so long ago that I cannot remember if it was good, but it is certainly memorable.

Conversely, I tried to read on the Beach, and it's one of the very few books I had to stop reading in my life as it was too boring.

I read The Road” by Cormac McCarthy many years ago. The storyline was a bit dreary and repetitive. I would not recommend.

"When Worlds Collide" by Philip Wylie and Edwin Balmer
"Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke

I enjoyed them both when I last read them, but it's been a while. May be time for a reread.

I recently started the 'China Pandemic' by A. R. Shaw. (2013). I'm only part way through, but it is good so far. Basically a SARS type virus wipes out many people, but here are enough survivors to cause trouble for the other survivors.

"A Canticle for Leibowitz" is one of my favorite books of all time. Period. It is thought provoking, as well as amusing.

I look them up on Amazon and read the short description and comments. I ordered the first book of the trilogy.

I recently read The Second Sleep by Robert Harris which was very good and am currently reading The Last Day by Andrew Hunter Murray which is excellent.

I'm currently in the middle of Station Eleven and I find it excellent.

Me too! It’s a glimpse of contemporary North America during and after a really nasty pandemic with a 99% mortality rate. It’s strange reading fiction like that while similar nonfiction is in the daily news.

We also saw the movie Contagion, which was similarly worst-case scenario but useful.

Last edited:
Its not end of the world material, but given the topic du jour, I would recommend The Hot Zone as well as Crichton's classic, the Andromeda Strain.

The Hot Zone will make your skin crawl.

More Apocalypictic/Survival Musings

I have read (and watched) Farenheit451, read The Road and Earth Abides.

I have for many years been 'informed' by Earth Abides in my basic understanding of humanity's possible futures. I remember thinking there were only three ways it could go for humanity :1) enlightenment (salvation?) could decend on us (philosophical, spiritual, environmental/ecological, whatever ) 2) the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Death, War Pestilence & Famine) would revisit humanity cyclically (maybe that is happenning now ?) or 3) we get some part of humanity out into space for another chance for species survival (in this I am a supporter of Elon Musk). I worked a career with NASA and I think this was one of my underlying motivations.
Back to the Apocalypse, I just loved how Earth Abides shows the crumbling infrastructure and the reversion to sustainable technology, IIRC people searched cities and former habitations for pennies as they could be turned into good arrowheads. I will (re)read Canticle For Leibowitz, I'm sure I read it but somehow don't recall it.

Thinking about non zero possibility of apocalypictic events like the Black Death, nuclear war, massive envirenmental failure, if one was a scientist (epidemiologist ?) and really saw this possibly happening, what would one do?

Added: This is really very well written and enjoyable all the way to the end.

Imagine a virus pandemic that immediately wipes out 99% of the planet's population. The book's narrative alternates between before, during, and 20 years later. A great read during this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom