Face masks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions for masks for a man with a large head? My DH has a large head (he is the kind that has a hard time finding a hat big enough). He needs some cloth masks that are washable. I have bought several kinds XL but none are big enough. I have extended the ties but the mask is still too small to completely cover his face. I may have to take up sewing but I have no talent and no sewing machine. Any suggestions for really big cloth masks? Any on Etsy that anyone has tried?

I have not tried this but the CDC has directions on how to make a cloth face mask with simple materials usually found around the house. See the video for a good quick demo:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-to-make-cloth-face-covering.html

I'm sticking with the 2 ply cotton/poly T-shirt ones. Effective and comfy. Not to mention cheap.

Katsmeow, I am a woman and I have some KN95 masks from a site listed on here some time ago. As they are they do not fit snuggly, but I put a twist in the ear loops (kind of making a figure 8) and that snugs them up. I do, however, have chubby cheeks so YMMV.

That is exactly what I am doing now! I just wish I didn't have to do it.

You can either make or purchase face mask adjusters that greatly improve the fit of "over the ear" type masks. Not only is the fit improved, but comfort is greatly enhanced, so it really is a win on both accounts.

If you search for "face mask adjuster" on thingiverse, you can find loads of designs freely available if you have access to a 3d printer. If not, a search for "face mask strap extender" on Amazon and you will see a bunch of low cost options.

My daughter wears both a KN95 and a fabric mask while at work, and these adjusters have made all the difference in being able to keep things in place with a reasonable level of comfort.

Thanks I will look this up.

I use the cheap disposable blue on one side/white on other & throw away after about 2 weeks. Probably use 8-10 hours in that period.

Last edited:
A commentary in the New England Journal of Medicine suggests that, by providing occasional exposure to a reduced dose of the virus, wearing a mask might be giving people some degree of immunity to the disease.

For the moment this is only an interesting hypothesis; the authors have conducted no trials and presented no data.

I heard about this, too, but then I listened to a recent "Osterholm Update" podcast, wherein Dr. Osterholm blasts this particular bit of research. He claims it's far too speculative and doesn't provide enough evidence-based research to be reliable. He was quite emphatic about it. Personally, I thought the theory made sense on some level, but I suppose it needs better, higher quality research to back it up.

A commentary in the New England Journal of Medicine suggests that, by providing occasional exposure to a reduced dose of the virus, wearing a mask might be giving people some degree of immunity to the disease.

For the moment this is only an interesting hypothesis; the authors have conducted no trials and presented no data.

Someone posted a video a while back here with three different experts talking about COVID-19 which was presented by UCSF, and your article is written by the same woman who presented in that video. Basically the viral load matters, and if you mask, you may still catch COVID but you may be asymptomatic or your symptoms may be very mild. I tend to believe that. Not sure about having immunity from it, but that also makes sense up to a point (Don't know for how long you'll have immunity, for example.)

Our recent thread made me think about her presentation as well since some people (old people) who were wearing masks and caught it reported very mild symptoms in this thread below.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f55/covid-19-experience-105685.html

Last edited:

Well for me, that’s been a big part of the mask wearing - reducing the dose if I do get exposed. Smaller dose can mean less bad outcomes or even perhaps an asymptomatic response.

Right, viral load absolutely matters.

Last edited:
I decided to stop using my N95's because they are not really protecting others, just me. Also if the valve is defective you might not even be protecting yourself........
Not all N95 masks have a valve. For those that don't, they provide superior protection for the wearer and those exposed to the wearer. I think if ventless N95s were widely available and everyone wore them we could wrap this thing up in a matter of weeks.

Not all N95 masks have a valve. For those that don't, they provide superior protection for the wearer and those exposed to the wearer. I think if ventless N95s were widely available and everyone wore them we could wrap this thing up in a matter of weeks.

I didn't know about the N95 ventless masks.

I am guessing but would bet that most masks that block the light when held up to the sun would work very well. Yes, the most important point is to actually wear a mask. That is the responsible thing to do.

Thanks for the link.

I have been wondering about that for a while. If it takes 1000 viruses a day to infect me and I can limit the number to 750 a day, will that, over time, become a de-facto vaccination? I have no idea.

Thanks for the link.

I have been wondering about that for a while. If it takes 1000 viruses a day to infect me and I can limit the number to 750 a day, will that, over time, become a de-facto vaccination? I have no idea.

It’s about giving your body time to build defenses. A large viral dose - so many viruses already - they are able to replicate quickly, overwhelming the body’s defenses. The body can’t keep up. A small dose, and the body has time to build defenses before the viruses have replicated significantly. It’s not a stair-step function however. There is some continuum and individual differences in immune system health and response.

Vogmask seems to finally be staying in stock, they've switched to making valveless masks. Fashionable, comfortable, I originally bought them years ago for the summer smoke from the fires in California, and have been buying them this year for the pandemic and then the smoke. :) They've got their testing results posted at
https://www.vogmask.com/pages/technical
and you can buy the in stock masks at
https://www.vogmask.com/collections/all

I've tried the Medium+ and the Large, and the Large is indeed too big for my face and the Medium+ is just right. :)

Masks and vaccine

None of the vaccines protect against infection, only against getting sick. The virologists I trust are saying that even those who receive a vaccine need to wear a mask as they still may be able to spread the virus.

Humm..

AeroNabs, developed by UCSF, which prevents Covid19 from infecting humans is more and more interesting.

Any suggestions for masks for a man with a large head? My DH has a large head (he is the kind that has a hard time finding a hat big enough). He needs some cloth masks that are washable. I have bought several kinds XL but none are big enough. I have extended the ties but the mask is still too small to completely cover his face. I may have to take up sewing but I have no talent and no sewing machine. Any suggestions for really big cloth masks? Any on Etsy that anyone has tried?

Harlee, I recently ordered these for my husband: Men's King-Size Masks, and they arrived today. They're lightweight and the inside layer has a pocket where you can insert a filter or another layer of choice. Plus the ear loops have a toggle, so they adjust. They fit hubby really well though he hasn't worn them yet.

Last edited:
Harlee, I recently ordered these for my husband: Men's King-Size Masks, and they arrived today. They're lightweight and the inside layer has a pocket where you can insert a filter or another layer of choice. Plus the ear loops have a toggle, so they adjust. They fit hubby really well though he hasn't worn them yet.

Sarpy, thanks these masks look good and large and at a good price, I will order some.

I wonder if mask technology is improving? There are certainly a whole lot more choices available than 6 months ago, not sure if they are any better at protecting.

DW made several cotton masks with a pipe cleaner to allow a better fit around the nose. Of course, you can't microwave these masks but we only need to use a mask about once a week or so.

Also found surgical masks at Costco. I bought a box for "casual" use (going to the mail box on the elevator, etc.)

I'm not sharing my opinion. But this is important information.

"Despite being close to China, Taiwan has stopped the COVID-19 with general screening strategy and encouraging people in Taiwan to wear a mask. Taiwan reported the first COVID-19 case on January 21, 2020. About 850,000 and 400,000 of Taiwan's 23 million citizens live and work in mainland China, respectively. There were 2.71 million visitors from Mainland China in Taiwan in 2019 [1]. The narrowest point between Taiwan and mainland China is just 130 km. Taiwan is one of the areas with the highest risk of the COVID-19 pandemic, but it did not happen. Taiwan has recorded just 443 cases and 7 deaths on June 04, 2020, including 55 local cases and 352 imported cases and 36 navy crew members aboard the Panshi fast combat support ship, respectively."

"Starting from 6 February, each person was allowed to purchase two surgical masks (priced at NT$ 5 each, equivalent to USD 0.17 each) every seven days. Starting from 5 March, the purchase limit was increased to three masks for adults and five masks for children every seven days. To ensure an adequate supply of face masks, Thailand, South Korea, and France announced the implementation of export controls on face masks starting from 4 February, 26 February and 3 March, respectively."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7270822/

In Taiwan and South Korea people were literally demanding masks in the early days.

In Taiwan, their national health insurance ID card was the means by which the citizens were allocated masks. The people without the ID cards were migrant workers. I am not sure how the migrant workers were able to access masks.

Taiwan used their version of Defense Procurement Act to ramp up mask production early in the pandemic.

Taiwan is participating in vaccine trials. They are not sitting still.
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/taiwan-says-3rd-covid-19-vaccine-in-final-stage/1992717

This interview explained how Taiwan's nightclubs were able to remain open. https://www.wired.com/story/wired25-day3-audrey-tang-taiwan/

MODERATOR NOTE - so far this thread has focused on where and how to get masks. Let's stick to that topic and avoid thread drift. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom