Face masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I know a number of people here use Wyze cameras for security monitoring, and the company also provides several types of face masks. They just put them on sale again, so if you'd like to get some this is a good opportunity. The sale is until next Monday, shipping included.

$10 for 50 surgical masks
$10 for 10 KN95 masks

https://wyze.com/face-masks.html

I know a number of people here use Wyze cameras for security monitoring, and the company also provides several types of face masks. They just put them on sale again, so if you'd like to get some this is a good opportunity. The sale is until next Monday, shipping included.

$10 for 50 surgical masks
$10 for 10 KN95 masks

https://wyze.com/face-masks.html

[-]Anyone else having trouble with this website? Won't let me add anything to the cart. Tried two different browsers with no luck.[/-]

Never mind. Now getting a "Down for Maintenance" notice.

Last edited:
I got a down for maintenance message. Looks like their servers got overloaded when they announced the sale.

I like the ones from Atoms. washable, so reusable, not N95 but better than most single-use types.

I would be weary of a KN95 mask that has straps that go over your ears instead of your entire head, such as this one. Not the same exact thing, but I bought something that looks just like that on Costco.ca and the straps were too short and my ears flipped back and the mask wouldn't stay on. Costco returns are easy, so there was no problem there, but I'm not sure with wyze. N or KN95 masks need to be fitted tightly and ear straps just won't work IMHO.

Here is what I bought and returned, just for illustration.
https://www.costco.ca/kn95-disposable-5-layer-face-mask,-20-pack.product.100672009.html

Thanks for posting!

My buddy works in the warehouse at the local nuke plant. They found that they couldn't use the kn95 masks (radiation issues?). So he brought me a few. I need a bunch more, but he retires Friday.

So the Wyze source will come in handy.

I would be weary of a KN95 mask that has straps that go over your ears instead of your entire head, such as this one. Not the same exact thing, but I bought something that looks just like that on Costco.ca and the straps were too short and my ears flipped back and the mask wouldn't stay on. Costco returns are easy, so there was no problem there, but I'm not sure with wyze. N or KN95 masks need to be fitted tightly and ear straps just won't work IMHO.

Here is what I bought and returned, just for the illustration.
https://www.costco.ca/kn95-disposable-5-layer-face-mask,-20-pack.product.100672009.html

My kn95's bend my ears a little, but they fit snug.

Good site.
Will order the disposable ones for $10.

I’ve been ordering these masks from Wyze for the last few months. No complaints.

Be aware that KN95 masks are flooding the market after tests conducted in Canada found that they were not adequate for medical use. You can buy 50 packs of KN95 masks for under $16 from many sellers on Ebay with free shipping. They are okay for everyday use but I wouldn't pay $1 each for them. I bought some KN95 masks for general use for home improvement projects when I need protection from dust and other particles.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...75.m570.l1313&_nkw=kn95+mask+50+pack&_sacat=0

Any idea how they fit, particularly for women. I have had a problem with some cloth masks I have bought they they are too loose with non-adjustable ear loops. I am able to fix it but it is a pain to have to do. The disposable ones seem to have some advantages (not having to launder them) but not if the one size fits all is too loose.

Which kind?

I've used both surgical masks and KN95. I use the KN95 if I go to the doctors or feel I need extra protection. The surgical masks I use when I go to the store, etc. I'm a little bit behind the curve, since I haven't ordered any cloth/reusable face masks. I have enough disposables to maybe last the pandemic, especially since I reuse them.

As for KN95 not being up to par, I don't worry about it. Enough research has been done in this area that I figure they are good enough for any conditions that I'd encounter.

Ordered the surgical masks last night. The website was wonky and slow, but worked in the end.

I was given a bag of disposable masks by a friend who ordered more than he needed. Most broke literally the first time I put them on. The elastic strap simply disconnected from the front of the mask. The rest broke when I took them off. Other disposables have lasted 3-5 times before they they gave way. (I give each mask a 4 day rest period before reuse so as t let any virus on it die.)

OTOH, an old N95 mask from years ago is still going strong. Now that I have several cotton masks, the N95 is stashed away in my garage awaiting messy sanding and sawing work.

Now, if only I could get some HEPA furnace filters to tape onto my fans and clean the dirty smokey air in my home. GASP! CHOKE! GAG! My advice to others is buy some filters before the forests burn.

Katsmeow, I am a woman and I have some KN95 masks from a site listed on here some time ago. As they are they do not fit snuggly, but I put a twist in the ear loops (kind of making a figure 8) and that snugs them up. I do, however, have chubby cheeks so YMMV.

I ordered a package of 10 N95 masks from this outfit https://n95maskco.com/. They are not cheap but do have NIOSH certification. I have compared them directly to the 3M N95 masks that I got prior to the pandemic and I still prefer the fit and robustness of the 3M variety. But they do a much better job than the cheap over the ear type masks that I also have tried.

Any idea how they fit, particularly for women. I have had a problem with some cloth masks I have bought they they are too loose with non-adjustable ear loops. I am able to fix it but it is a pain to have to do. The disposable ones seem to have some advantages (not having to launder them) but not if the one size fits all is too loose.

My wife does not like any of the ear loop masks. She has modified them to wrap around her head like the 3M NIOSH N95 masks that she wears in public. She used two buttons with an elastic strap that she attaches to the ear loops to secure the mask on her face and seal the openings on the sides.

Face Mask strap extenders

You can either make or purchase face mask adjusters that greatly improve the fit of "over the ear" type masks. Not only is the fit improved, but comfort is greatly enhanced, so it really is a win on both accounts.

If you search for "face mask adjuster" on thingiverse, you can find loads of designs freely available if you have access to a 3d printer. If not, a search for "face mask strap extender" on Amazon and you will see a bunch of low cost options.

My daughter wears both a KN95 and a fabric mask while at work, and these adjusters have made all the difference in being able to keep things in place with a reasonable level of comfort.

You can either make or purchase face mask adjusters that greatly improve the fit of "over the ear" type masks. Not only is the fit improved, but comfort is greatly enhanced, so it really is a win on both accounts.

If you search for "face mask adjuster" on thingiverse, you can find loads of designs freely available if you have access to a 3d printer. If not, a search for "face mask strap extender" on Amazon and you will see a bunch of low cost options.

My daughter wears both a KN95 and a fabric mask while at work, and these adjusters have made all the difference in being able to keep things in place with a reasonable level of comfort.
Thank you. I'm sure that's going to help me not rip my ears off my head.[emoji4]

I decided to stop using my N95's because they are not really protecting others, just me. Also if the valve is defective you might not even be protecting yourself.

I now use masks with filter insert capability. The filters I've purchased seem to be high quality, are 4" x 6", and you can even cut them around the edges to fit. Made in the USA too:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089WJWQC7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also use these filters in my exercise oriented bandana masks between the fold and held in place with small safety pins. Works great for situations where you raise and lower the mask a lot.

I have ordered disposable regular and KN95 masks from Office Depot.
I have some medical grade U.S. N95 masks left from work, which I have been fitted and tested for.

I have several cloth masks from Amazon, Etsy, and a neighbor. All have a slot for filters, which I also bought.
The etsy ones are my favorite, most comfortable and least hot.
I also bought some from a vacuum company (Starks--available on line, too) that are water resistant and have a carbon filter. They are comfortable also, but a bit more warm to wear.

Needless to say, as a retired RN, I have tons of masks and sanitizer:blush:

Masks

Any suggestions for masks for a man with a large head? My DH has a large head (he is the kind that has a hard time finding a hat big enough). He needs some cloth masks that are washable. I have bought several kinds XL but none are big enough. I have extended the ties but the mask is still too small to completely cover his face. I may have to take up sewing but I have no talent and no sewing machine. Any suggestions for really big cloth masks? Any on Etsy that anyone has tried?

Any suggestions for masks for a man with a large head? My DH has a large head (he is the kind that has a hard time finding a hat big enough). He needs some cloth masks that are washable. I have bought several kinds XL but none are big enough. I have extended the ties but the mask is still too small to completely cover his face. I may have to take up sewing but I have no talent and no sewing machine. Any suggestions for really big cloth masks? Any on Etsy that anyone has tried?
I have purchased Adult size masks on Etsy from HarrisonCustomGifts but they offer a XL. The masks are three layers with a filter pocket. I use a Euraka Style RR vacuum bag for the filter and can get eight filters cut from a single vacuum bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom