FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

I’m getting my booster next week due to stage 4 kidney disease caused by an autoimmune disease. Plus for some reason no one can figure out, I have low oxygen. I’m thankful, because our city only has a 50 percent vaccination rate. So far, my husband will have to wait, since he’s healthier.

Anyone had their Covid 19 Booster jab yet?

I walked into Publix here in Florida on Saturday 28th., no appointment, and was out all done within 15 mins. I was surprised how little paperwork was needed compared to 1 & 2. They did not ask me anything just gave me the vaccine. This was the Moderna MRNA version. Pfizer versions are limited to fewer pharmacies, probably because of the storage requirements, unless they have changed.

Feeling invincible again, I did have a sore arm for a day and a small niggling headache on Sunday, my BP did elevate in the morning, but all good today. Nothing that Tylenol could not fix. Interesting as I had Zero side effects from 1 & 2.

One additional note; the pharmacist did advise me to wait at least 4 weeks before getting the Flue jab. No problem as DW & I usually wait till Publix give away a $10 gift card with the flue jab.

Last edited:
I walked into Publix here in Florida on Saturday 28th., no appointment, and was out all done within 15 mins. I was surprised how little paperwork was needed compared to 1 & 2. They did not ask me anything just gave me the vaccine. This was the Moderna MRNA version. Pfizer versions are limited to fewer pharmacies, probably because of the storage requirements, unless they have changed.

Feeling invincible again, I did have a sore arm for a day and a small niggling headache on Sunday, my BP did elevate in the morning, but all good today. Nothing that Tylenol could not fix. Interesting as I had Zero side effects from 1 & 2.

One additional note; the pharmacist did advise me to wait at least 4 weeks before getting the Flue jab. No problem as DW & I usually wait till Publix give away a $10 gift card with the flue jab.

What was your spacing between shots? I'm at less than 6 months so I want to try and get the max possible out of my first two jabs. Even though I am very pro vaxx I feel the less shots I get the better it is for me...

Did you have to certify you are immune compromised?

Latest news has the booster shot for Covid moved up to six months! I can get mine now if that's true.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nichol...t-6-months-not-8-report-says/?sh=577e1988411e

Excellent news. The "eight months" threshold always seemed strange to me, given the studies coming out of Israel and the severity and urgency of the current Delta surge.

NOTE: Technically, only immunocompromised people can get a booster right now. Boosters won't be available for the general population until Sep 20 at the earliest, I believe.

The question I ask is after I get my booster shot at 6 or 8 months, how long does my immunity stay strong after that?

+1 I could have written this exact same post 2 weeks ago but then I live in your same area. I may get my flu shot in October. The gift card will go for a couple of cartons of ice cream like last year. :D

Cheers!

The question I ask is after I get my booster shot at 6 or 8 months, how long does my immunity stay strong after that?

I don't think anybody knows yet. Isreal is giving the booster to everyone regardless of age before any other country, so hopefully, they will be able to tell us in several months' time...

DW & I got our booster shots today. She had lung cancer and lost a lung 3 days before COVID shut down, I had stage 4 throat cancer a few years ago but still under observation. Not taking any chances, things below COVID level can kill us but COVID is the main one to worry about as it is so catchable.

As you can tell from the questions, folks are keen..

My Question: Did you bring your vaccination card with you so they knew it was the 3rd shot ?

Did you have to certify you are immune compromised?

No, they hardly asked anything, then asked if my husband wanted it. I said he wasn’t with me, but they made the appt for tomorrow, only asking if he was over 65.

People in my area are going for booster shots despite not really qualifying. They’re saying the vaccine supply is plentiful and vaccine sites aren’t asking whether they qualify.

We are waiting. We had J&J vaccines in March. No clear plan for J&J yet. Meanwhile two FDA officials resigned, allegedly at least partly motivated by the White House jumping ahead of the FDA’s booster recommendations.

I am definitely going to get the booster Moderna shot as soon as I qualify. In my area they are being strict about requiring you to be immunocompromised now (you have to sign a paper certifying you are and answer questions) and I will not lie about it. I guess different areas of the country are treating it different. One reason NC may be stricter is that we have had a big run on the first dose of the vaccine lately and some places are running out of vaccines. YAH!

As I mentioned before. At Publix, they did not ask and were giving it to anyone that came in. That was Moderna, I cannot speak for the other vaccine variants.

Interesting NPR article on booster shots, cautioning healthcare providers and individuals about jumping the gun (my bold):

Some Americans are already lining up for COVID-19 booster shots, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is warning that administering doses of the vaccine in ways that aren't OK'd by the federal government could put health care providers at risk of lawsuits and leave patients with unexpected bills.

These so-called "off-label" uses include giving the vaccine out as a booster shot to people who are not immunocompromised...

The Biden Administration announced a tentative plan on Aug. 18 to start rolling out boosters for the general population beginning on Sept. 20. Patients would be eligible for their third shot eight months after receiving their second dose of Pfizer or Moderna, the administration said.

But that decision isn't actually final yet. The FDA and the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) first need to OK the move, and that hasn't happened.

CDC Warns Against Off-Label Use Of COVID Vaccine

Last edited:
^^^^^

This makes getting a booster "off label" a tough call! Our local CVS is giving Moderna boosters without questions or forms, or at least that's what they told me when I picked up a prescription yesterday. It's been almost six months since DW and I got our second Moderna shot. She is a cancer survivor but about three years past chemo. I have a heart condition that could be aggravated by COVID but am not Immunol-compromised. Hard to decide what to do.......

For now we're waiting and trying to keep on top of it.

Our local CVS is giving Moderna boosters without questions or forms, or at least that's what they told me when I picked up a prescription yesterday.

I wonder if that will change with this latest CDC warning. Can't see a major corp. like CVS taking on the liability risk.

^^^^^

This makes getting a booster "off label" a tough call! Our local CVS is giving Moderna boosters without questions or forms, or at least that's what they told me when I picked up a prescription yesterday. It's been almost six months since DW and I got our second Moderna shot. She is a cancer survivor but about three years past chemo. I have a heart condition that could be aggravated by COVID but am not Immunol-compromised. Hard to decide what to do.......

For now we're waiting and trying to keep on top of it.

Yeah, but in practice, they are probably using the CPT code that will allow for reimbursement.

I don't know the technical terms for immunity, but while the first line of defense - antibodies already in the blood - may be fading, we still have the 2nd line of defense - the body's ability to quickly make anti-bodies - and my understanding is that it still is working well.

This is not like early 2021 when most of us only had "Keep the %#^&%@! away from me!" and a 2nd rate mask to protect us.

So, I am not in a rush to get the booster shot. I will wait until it is officially approved and maybe even a month or so after that.

I wonder if that will change with this latest CDC warning. Can't see a major corp. like CVS taking on the liability risk.

I live in central NC, and happened to be in CVS last week to pick up a couple of items. I spoke with the pharmacist briefly. At that location they are currently administering boosters to immunocompromised folks only.

I don't qualify now, so I will wait for my turn if/when official approval arrives for "everyone" to get boosters.

I asked the pharmacist if the CVS website for that store will indicate when boosters are available for all, and he said it would. So I'll just check their site starting around September 20th.

He did offer (twice!) to give me a flu shot. :D They are starting early this year. I declined because I just wasn't in the mood to get jabbed that day, but I will go back in a couple of weeks for that one.

It would be really convenient if I can actually get the booster at CVS; it is only 2 miles from my house. For the original shots back in Jan/Feb I had to drive about 30 miles each way (which I was more than willing to do, and would do again if necessary!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom