Spring 2024 booster

Got a covid booster today, my 5th or 6th shot since April 2021. Only had detectable side effects with the second vaccine and definitely felt worse than when I actually had covid but I understand the mildness of my covid case was probably because I kept up to date on the vaccines.

Got my first shingrix in the other arm though so I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. But it had to be done. I know a couple of people who have had shingles (before there was a vaccine) and I know it is pretty horrible.

I'm actually very curious to find out which arm hurts more tomorrow. (I've felt like I was punched in the arm after every covid shot but I don't consider that a major side effect.)

Had covid in left arm and shingrix in right arm about 6 pm on Wednesday. Woke up Thursday morning with pain in covid arm but only tenderness in shingrix arm when I pressed on it fairly hard. I though I dodged the bullet.

By noon Thursday the shingrix arm hurt pretty bad, covid arm was about the same but systemic symptoms were building, i. e. I felt like crap and was nauseous. Not sure what to attribute this to.

This morning (Friday) both arms hurt about equally. Systemic symptoms had mostly gone away by mid morning. By late afternoon, covid arm still hurt but shingrix arm was only slightly tender if I pushed on it. Not sure what to make of any of this except that I think I am passed the worst part.

Had covid in left arm and shingrix in right arm about 6 pm on Wednesday. Woke up Thursday morning with pain in covid arm but only tenderness in shingrix arm when I pressed on it fairly hard. I though I dodged the bullet.

By noon Thursday the shingrix arm hurt pretty bad, covid arm was about the same but systemic symptoms were building, i. e. I felt like crap and was nauseous. Not sure what to attribute this to.

This morning (Friday) both arms hurt about equally. Systemic symptoms had mostly gone away by mid morning. By late afternoon, covid arm still hurt but shingrix arm was only slightly tender if I pushed on it. Not sure what to make of any of this except that I think I am passed the worst part.

eta: My insurance paid in full for both shots. My understanding from pharmacist in discussing the hepA+B coming next is that it is fully covered even for travel because they are not allowed to ask the reason for the request (because some of the factors for recommendation are related to sexual practices).

For me, my covid jab effects have always been minor (slightly sore arm, bit tired for a day or two). But shingrix knocks me out. I crawled back to bed in the middle of the day both times, had a much worse arm for a week, swollen lymph nodes, days of symptoms.

so I would not recommend anyone get both at once.

But, still, both far better than the alternative!

Well, shingrix is a two-time vax and then you're done.
I'm hoping the COVID booster evolves to an annual thing so I can do it each fall with my flu shot, one in each arm.
I'll likely get this spring COVID booster (#8) next month...

I'm hoping the COVID booster evolves to an annual thing so I can do it each fall with my flu shot, one in each arm.

Pharmacist mentioned covid is going to become an annual thing like the flu shot and they are doing away with the CDC cards.

I just got my spring booster … I got Covid! :LOL:

Seriously tho … I will take all the boosters they will provide. I got one in the fall and I’m guessing that’s why my Covid was relatively mild. (Still not fun and took me over two weeks to really get over it.)

I’m under 65 but the minute they say they it’s available for everyone, I will go get it.

I'm recovering from COVID now. (My last booster was in November.). I guess my COVID is my spring booster.

I'm recovering from COVID now. (My last booster was in November.). I guess my COVID is my spring booster.
Scary. It's one of the most terrifying things to get when factoring in long COVID, severe tinnitus possibilities, and such. You previous vaccination should help minimize issues but no guarantee. Best wishes on your recovery.

Scary. It's one of the most terrifying things to get when factoring in long COVID, severe tinnitus possibilities, and such. You previous vaccination should help minimize issues but no guarantee. Best wishes on your recovery.

Thanks! I took Paxlovid right away (when I tested positive) and because of it, I sailed through it. I still have some phlegm that comes up occasionally, but that's about the extend of it. I know some people haven't been so fortunate.

This was discussed on last Saturday's TWIV podcast (microbe.tv/twiv). Unfortunately, it's not clear that a booster will be covered by insurance. I had the booster in November and got Covid in January. I guess that was my booster. Took Covid and kind of enjoyed the last 3 days of isolation. Organized all my drawers and the closet and DH had to feed me for a change. But now they're ending the 5 day isolation, which seems to be with no data to support it. Yikes!

"The FDA calls this an updated vaccine (not a “booster” like previous shots) because it builds a new immune response to variants that are currently circulating. This change reflects the current approach of treating COVID-19 similarly to the flu, with preventive measures such as an annual vaccination."

So, the fall 2023 was a new vaccine, not a booster. But the Spring 2024 is a booster for the 2023 vaccine. I got mine in Sept. 2023 and will get the next one soon.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...ne-shot vaccine for,is no booster this season.

This was discussed on last Saturday's TWIV podcast (microbe.tv/twiv). Unfortunately, it's not clear that a booster will be covered by insurance. I had the booster in November and got Covid in January. I guess that was my booster. Took Covid and kind of enjoyed the last 3 days of isolation. Organized all my drawers and the closet and DH had to feed me for a change. But now they're ending the 5 day isolation, which seems to be with no data to support it. Yikes!

It'll be interesting to see how much it costs out of pocket if insurance refuses to cover it.

IDK but this is for ACA plans:
Health plans must also provide coverage without cost-sharing for immunizations that are recommended and determined to be for routine use by the ACIP, a federal committee comprised of immunization experts that is convened by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). A new ACIP recommendation is considered to be issued on the date that it is adopted by the Director of the CDC. The preventive services guidelines require coverage for adults and children and include immunizations such as influenza, meningitis, tetanus, HPV, hepatitis A and B, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, and COVID-19. With regard to the COVID-19 vaccine, Congress waived the typical one year delay in implementation and required private insurance plans to begin full coverage 15 days after ACIP recommendation. Going forward, any COVID-19 vaccine recommended by ACIP, including updated boosters, will continue to be fully covered for people enrolled in non-grandfathered plans starting 15 days after the vaccine is recommended by ACIP, irrespective of whether the vaccine is under an emergency use authorization or fully approved by the FDA.

https://www.kff.org/womens-health-p...ive-services-covered-by-private-health-plans/

Got a covid booster today, my 5th or 6th shot since April 2021. Only had detectable side effects with the second vaccine and definitely felt worse than when I actually had covid but I understand the mildness of my covid case was probably because I kept up to date on the vaccines.

Got my first shingrix in the other arm though so I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. But it had to be done. I know a couple of people who have had shingles (before there was a vaccine) and I know it is pretty horrible.

I'm actually very curious to find out which arm hurts more tomorrow. (I've felt like I was punched in the arm after every covid shot but I don't consider that a major side effect.)

Ah...wait until you have your 2nd Shingles vax. It's the 'bad' one. I never care at all if there is pain. But that 2nd Shingrix made me feel like I had a nauseating hang over, for days.

Last edited:
Just scheduled it for later this month.

Didn't ask about insurance or which covid vaccine but this is all done online.

From our local media:
The most recent estimate on people with long COVID in the US is 11%. However, the new variants are much more infectious even though milder. Studies are confirming that "It's "clear in our data that reinfection contributes additional risk." " (from the STAT newsletter, which reports on life sciences journalism)

Excerpted from SF Chron article 04Mar2024 on addt’l COVID shot:
... An advisory panel to the federal health agency on Wednesday recommended that individuals aged 65 and above get the additional dose four months after their last vaccination

... The CDC is still recording approximately 20,000 hospitalizations and 2,000 deaths each week due to the coronavirus, predominantly among people aged 65 and older.

... Despite the emergence of more immune-evasive variants, such as JN.1, a recent CDC study demonstrated that the latest version of the COVID-19 vaccine still reduces the risk of illness and hospitalization by at least 50 percent.

Furthermore, a recent study of data on nearly 1.2 million people showed that getting vaccinated not only protected against the virus but also lowered the risk of experiencing long COVID symptoms. That research, published in Nature on Wednesday, suggests that the more vaccine doses people have received, the less likely they are to have lingering effects related to the virus.

Ah...wait until you have your 2nd Shingles vax. It's the 'bad' one. I never care at all if there is pain. But that 2nd Shingrix made me feel like I had a nauseating hang over, for days.

I've heard the same. I had my first shingles shot today, so I'll find out in a few months.

I've heard the same. I had my first shingles shot today, so I'll find out in a few months.

Sorry to tell you, but the 2nd shingles shot really does suck. I spent the entire day afterwards shivering on my couch with all the covers I could find and two cats. HOWEVER, I have seen the effect of shingles on older people and I would willingly suffer several times as long to avoid that fate.

Sorry to tell you, but the 2nd shingles shot really does suck. I spent the entire day afterwards shivering on my couch with all the covers I could find and two cats. HOWEVER, I have seen the effect of shingles on older people and I would willingly suffer several times as long to avoid that fate.

I'm planning that'll it be bad. If it turns out to not be so bad, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Either way it's worth it. Better than getting shingles.

My reaction from the first Shingrix shot was the worst. I had a huge area on my arm that was red and raised and quite sensitive for several days. Looked like a sunburn.

I had had the Zostavax shot 5 years earlier or so. So maybe that was it.

Back
Top Bottom