FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

Just got our flu shots and asked the pharmacy about the Covid booster. They confirmed that currently, immune compromised folks can receive the booster and the person I spoke with (shot giver) indicated it was self reported immune compromised. So true or not true, a person could (probably legally) get the booster. YMMV

When DH (who is immunocompromised) got his booster shot at CVS a few weeks ago he had to sign a written statement and check off his type of immune compromised condition. The pharmacist also asked if he was immune compromised and DH confirmed was. So while it may not be "illegal" for a non immune compromised person to get the booster now it certainly is against the rules and you will have to lie to do it. Personally I am not doing it.

Just got our flu shots and asked the pharmacy about the Covid booster. They confirmed that currently, immune compromised folks can receive the booster and the person I spoke with (shot giver) indicated it was self reported immune compromised. So true or not true, a person could (probably legally) get the booster. YMMV

Yes, totally agree, but neither of us are, so we will wait....

Our pharmacist did say on Monday that they are not mixing and matching, if you got Moderna, you will get a Moderna booster.....

Some people are predicting that eventually boosters will be offered to younger age groups, likely sooner than later.

When DH (who is immunocompromised) got his booster shot at CVS a few weeks ago he had to sign a written statement and check off his type of immune compromised condition. The pharmacist also asked if he was immune compromised and DH confirmed was. So while it may not be "illegal" for a non immune compromised person to get the booster now it certainly is against the rules and you will have to lie to do it. Personally I am not doing it.

Plus, right now I think this "third dose" (not technically a booster) is Pfizer only.

Other thing to consider is that they've been working on delta-variant specific vaccines.

Presumably testing it but they don't seem to be in a hurry to try to get it approved.

Of course, I didn't suggest anyone SHOULD lie to obtain a booster. I wouldn't do it either. But it's not only possible to do so under the current system of boosters, it's probably not technically illegal to lie.

I'm going to follow the "rules" as they are the closest thing we have to accepted science as indicated in previous posts. YMMV

They don't have a specific list of conditions do they?

It could cover things like obesity, diabetes, hypertension, etc.

Plus, right now I think this "third dose" (not technically a booster) is Pfizer only.

For people with autoimmune diseases like DH you can get either Pfizer or Moderna. DH had two Moderna shots so his third one was Moderna also.

They don't have a specific list of conditions do they?

It could cover things like obesity, diabetes, hypertension, etc.

There is a specific list of conditions for the third shot right now--for example, certain autoimmune diseases, organ transplants, HIV, people on certain drugs. Things like obesity, diabetes, hypertension are not on the list to qualify a person for the third dose right now. Being very elderly also does not qualify you. My 90 year old mother with high blood pressure and a heart condition was told by the health department that she did not qualify for the third dose of Pfizer just today.

Just recalled: When speaking with the lady who injected us, she indicated that THEY only had the Pfizer vaccine. She pointed out that boosters needed to be the same as the original. If what ziggy29 mentioned is correct, those of us with Moderna "foundations" would not yet be eligible for a booster. I would hope that will change soon.

Boosters for the non immune suppressed have started in the UK for everyone over 50 but since it is 6 months after the 2nd dose and since the first round of vaccines were declining by age then it will again start with the oldest and roll down through the age groups. End of October for my wife and I.

This whole "who can get a booster now" is very confusing. As I stated earlier on the CVS sign-up website you just check "weakened immune system" to make your appointment for a booster. Doesn't anyone over 65 (or younger) have a weakened immune system? While I was getting mine yesterday I heard an "elderly" man who was getting his flu shot ask the nurse if anyone over 65 could get the booster and she said "yes just make an appointment online". However I know others who have been turned away because they did not have one of the "conditions" that supposedly make you eligible for the booster.

That's why this whole covid thing is one big cluster****. Mixed messages all around.

Also people around here are having a hard time getting tested. You would think after 1 1/2+ years our country would have that nailed down....but apparently not.

Also I just read that one state is only giving the monoclonal antibody treatment to unvaccinated people because they have more serious cases. So that means if you were responsible and got vaccinated but developed a serious breakthrough case you are out luck.

I'm feeling like this is never going to end.

The FDA panel approved the Pfizer booster for those 65 and over, at high risk for severe disease, and for those with high risk of occupational exposure (health care workers, teachers, other front line workers). Seems to me he wouldn’t be lying to say he has high risk of occupational exposure.

Also he should wear a KN95 or N95 mask. I find KN95 masks to be very comfortable.

When a child comes from overseas, such as an international adoption, or a refugee situation, and we don’t have adequate vaccine records, we start over with all the vaccines. We don’t worry about the safety of extra doses at all. We give extra doses of TdaP to pregnant women to protect their newborns from pertussis. And extra doses of MMR vaccine postpartum if a mother tests negative for rubella antibodies.

The fDA itself, as opposed to the advisory board, will rule this week.

Then the CDC is expected to weigh in.

Right, the FDA still has to announce something and then the CDC I think. The FDA is not bound to do exactly what the FDA advisory panel recommends.

I just checked the CVS website, and it was allowing me to schedule a 3rd shot of Moderna as a booster. I believe (if I read it correctly) that Moderna booster shots would be half the dosage of the initial shots.

What the CVS site would not allow is a mixing of Moderna and Pfizer.

There is a specific list of conditions for the third shot right now--for example, certain autoimmune diseases, organ transplants, HIV, people on certain drugs.

Right, except for the "certain drugs" condition, very few people would qualify as being immunocompromised. Lots of people take drugs like prednisone to help with things like eczema, psoriasis, asthma, lupus, and other autoimmune disorders.

Things like obesity, diabetes, hypertension are not on the list to qualify a person for the third dose right now.

Which, IMHO, is crazy. Haven't we been told all along that very obese people and those with uncontrolled HBP and diabetes are much more likely to develop severe COVID and to die from it? It's hard to believe these folks couldn't benefit from a booster dose, especially when doses are so plentiful and the side effects are so rare.

This is long (1 hr), but Zubin Damania, MD. and Monica Gandhi M.D. discuss a variety of COVID-related topics people here may be interested in. It covers the booster, natural immunity by infection vs immunity by vaccination, studies on infections by asymptomatic individuals, antibodies vs (and) T-cells and memory B-cells, vaccine passports, etc, etc. It's a pretty casual discussion that's easy to understand and it goes fast.

How they update vaccines for new variants

If you have access to the WSJ online, you might want to check out this article:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-...ariant-heres-how-11632399254?mod=hp_lead_pos6

The article discusses how scientists will update the existing Covid vaccines to handle the newer variants. I found it interesting.

A few quotes for those who can't get around the paywall, but the best stuff is in the graphics.

scientists are working to develop shots that would target the Delta variant specifically. The mRNA platform behind some vaccines might make this process relatively straightforward, according to Matthew Johnson, senior director of product development at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute.
To update the vaccine, scientists swap out the older spike protein gene for one from Delta
When given to people, the vaccine produces Delta variant spike proteins, prompting the immune system to generate antibodies specifically targeted to the variant

I'm surprised no one has posted anything about the CDC's official endorsement of Pfizer booster shots for people aged 65 and older and for ages 50-64 with certain underlying medical conditions (high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, obesity, etc.). The CDC also signed off on booster eligibility for adults in certain "high risk/exposure" jobs such as frontline healthcare workers, teachers, etc.

This was the right move, IMHO, as vaccines are so readily available and the incidence of severe side effects is extremely low. Now, those most vulnerable to infection and severe illness can decide for themselves if a 3rd Pfizer shot is the right choice for them, given their lifestyle and risk tolerance. For example, a diabetic 63 year old could get a booster if they so choose, and so could a 33 year old ICU nurse. Makes perfect sense to me.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-cdc-advisers-recommend-covid-19-vaccine-boosters-65-older-high-risk-2021-09-23/

I'm surprised no one has posted anything about the CDC's official endorsement of Pfizer booster shots for people aged 65 and older and for ages 50-64 with certain underlying medical conditions (high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, obesity, etc.). The CDC also signed off on booster eligibility for adults in certain "high risk/exposure" jobs such as frontline healthcare workers, teachers, etc.

This was the right move, IMHO, as vaccines are so readily available and the incidence of severe side effects is extremely low. Now, those most vulnerable to infection and severe illness can decide for themselves if a 3rd Pfizer shot is the right choice for them, given their lifestyle and risk tolerance. For example, a diabetic 63 year old could get a booster if they so choose, and so could a 33 year old ICU nurse. Makes perfect sense to me.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-cdc-advisers-recommend-covid-19-vaccine-boosters-65-older-high-risk-2021-09-23/
Well that’s a relief!

i'm not sure they listed high blood pressure.

But I thought they listed smokers, including former smokers.

i'm not sure they listed high blood pressure.

But I thought they listed smokers, including former smokers.

High blood pressure (hypertension) is on the list, along with many others such as obesity, smoking (is that really a medical condition?), dementia, pregnancy, and substance abuse (such as alcoholism or opioid addiction).

Here's the list that is linked to from the CDC web page that announces today's decision.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

Last edited:
So my 30 something year old children (and their spouses) cannot get the booster. However if they were obese and smoked they could. Isn't this discriminating against healthy people?

This whole vaccination process has been a disaster since the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom