Getting Sick Less Often

Status
Not open for further replies.

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In the past 7 months DH and I have not had any type of illness--no colds, no sinus infections, no flu, no stomach virus, nothing. We have not felt ill a single day. Since we are in our late 60s and DH has an autoimmune disease I would normally have had at least one cold, maybe a sinus infection and maybe a stomach virus during a 7 month period. DH would have had at least 2-3 colds that would probably have developed into sinus infections and he would have had to be on antibiotics. We have been pretty much staying at home and when we go out or see friends (outside) we wear a mask and social distance. We were taking about it tonight and DH said the is probably going to be a permanent life style change for him. He feels so much better he might become a hermit.

I found that I did not even get a seasonal cold any more since RE. I'm sure it is due to far less exposure to other people in general, and even less these days.

We haven’t been sick in a long time either. And we both had our flu shots last week, so hopefully that’ll help. We’ll continue to wear masks, wash more often and remain conscious of distances, but we don’t plan to be as vigilant years from now. We’re permanently changed somewhat, but I hope this level of diligence isn’t required forever. Though we’re less likely to become ill, the quality of life sacrifices like concerts, theatre, farmers markets, etc. have gotten very old already. Like so many things in life, there are always tradeoffs. YMMV

We haven’t been sick in a long time either. And we both had our flu shots last week, so hopefully that’ll help. We’ll continue to wear masks, wash more often and remain conscious of distances, but we don’t plan to be as vigilant years from now. We’re permanently changed somewhat, but I hope this level of diligence isn’t required forever. Though we’re less likely to become ill, the quality of life sacrifices like concerts, theatre, farmers markets, etc. have gotten very old already. Like so many things in life, there are always tradeoffs. YMMV

We had our flu shots last week too but 2 years ago we both had the flu even though we had the flu shot and DH was so sick he ended up in the hospital. Until the last 7 months when we have isolated ourselves we had not realized how much DH had been affected viruses, etc. His quality of life is so much better now--we just may have to permanently sacrifice some of our social interactions. I will gladly do that to give DH a better quality of life.

I got sick from side effects to medication. Chills, fatigue, abdominal issues, and stratospheric liver test numbers. Thought it was covid, but tested negative for antibodies. Haven't been sick since I quit the medication.

I used to get a cold a couple times a year, but I can't remember when I last had a cold. Never flu. Probably won't get a flu shot.

I always wear a mask out in public, wash hands frequently and use hand sanitizer. And we try to stay away from crowds, so hopefully chance of sickness will be slight.

Same with DW and I. We won't isolate ourselves once things have stabilized. We would like to resume restaurant meals, theater and concerts, travel. We are likely to continue hand washing and wearing a mask on public transportation and in crowded venues going forward. It is simply obvious that such practices tamp down disease transmission.

I haven't had a cold either since last winter (pre-Covid). I too am on a biologic, I take Stelara. Normally, I have about 4-5 colds a year and at least 1 of them being really bad. Last winter it was in mid February. I had a cold and it immediately went to my chest (which is what usually happens when I have a bad one). I was so sick, I actually took off work, I work from home, so that is a big deal for me. My hubby came home from work and found me laying in bed asleep, and asked my what I was doing, he was shocked because I never lay down during the day. I ran a low grade fever and was so sick for like 2 days. Then the cough lasted almost 4 weeks after. It was the kind of cough that would wake me up at night and I would have to leave the room so I didn't wake hubby up. But since March when we first went on lock down, nothing.

My 12 year old daughter did catch a small cold back in mid July. It was about 3 weeks after we moved here and started letting her go out to make some friends with the other military kids on base. I was freaked because if she could catch a cold she could get Covid from them. My hubby calmed me down. Luckily, the rest of us didn't get her cold, even her twin didn't get it and they share a bathroom. I usually get every cold my kids bring home, because of the Stelara. It sucks, but I am younger, only 44, so I can probably handle it better. Now when my kids are out of the house and I am older, I probably will not take some many risks during cold and flu season because I won't need to run my kids to all their activities or volunteer at their school.

Kids have to wear masks all day at school and daughter that runs Cross Country also must wear a mask during all of practice and meets. Hoping for far fewer colds this winter because of all the mask wearing. Wearing a mask doesn't really bother me at all and I will probably continue to do it during cold and flu season even when we don't need to anymore if I have to go out in public to a busy grocery store or Target. And continue with the constant hand washing and hand sanitizing.

Glad to see/hear some of you are (we don't seem to be) benefiting from all the minimizing human interactions and/or mitigation practices... Seems to make some sense it would work out that way but what a cost!

We (the DW and I) are just getting over (somewhat) the worse head colds we have ever had.

Last edited:
I, too, will continue mask wearing for the long term. It will be less of a "social stigma" now, I think, even when CoVid decreases. Great for decreasing cold and flu transmission.
It was almost a constant in my daily "work" life, anyway, years ago.
Have always been diligent with hand washing and have had sanitizer in my purse and car for years.

Our household has not been ill since February, we'll see how the upcoming Fall and Winter go. Less exposure=Less risk.

I found that I did not even get a seasonal cold any more since RE. I'm sure it is due to far less exposure to other people in general, and even less these days.

+1
Going on 13 years since RE with no sickness at all -- not even a seasonal cold. I assume it's likely due to less exposure along with a healthier diet and more time for regular exercise.

I usually get a winter cold but didn’t last winter because we weren’t seeing anyone.

Glad to see/hear some of you are (we don't seem to be) benefiting from all the minimizing human interactions and/or mitigation practices... Seems to make some sense it would work out that way but what a cost!

We (the DW and I) are just getting over (somewhat) the worse head colds we have ever had.

Car-Guy do you have any idea how you got the colds? Could they be from allergies? Were you wearing masks and social distancing and still got them? Did you get tested to make sure they weren't Covid?

It's not unusual for me to go more than a year without a cold. Anytime I do, there's usually been a very recent trip where I likely picked something up on a plane or in the airport. Between DH and I, that's really been the only times we've gotten sick at all since RE.

I'd be really stunned if I got a regular cold now.

Car-Guy do you have any idea how you got the colds? Could they be from allergies? Were you wearing masks and social distancing and still got them? Did you get tested to make sure they weren't Covid?
No, not for sure.... I could guess.... We do wear masks anytime we go anywhere and practice social distancing, hand sanitizing, etc.... Our outings have been cut in half or more since March... We even got our flu shots about a month ago. It could be allergies or changes in the weather.... DW went to the doctor and was tested for Covid and all sorts of other related things, (flu, strep throat, etc) which all came back negative.... (Except the bill, it was positive. The Covid testing for paid at 100% but the "other test" came in at $1200 which the insurance will only pay about half... :facepalm: Surprise medical billing,,,, again!)...

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see some actual data on this, anecdotes are interesting, but not meaningful.

It makes sense we should be seeing reductions in all sorts of areas, and especially other infectious diseases. Does the data support that, and to what degree?

-ERD50

We have not had any colds since the mask enforcement started in March and the forced bubble lifestyle enforced by my wife. If people learned to wear their masks properly (i.e. not wearing them as chin diapers), this flu season would probably be pretty mild this season.

It would be interesting to see some actual data on this, anecdotes are interesting, but not meaningful.

It makes sense we should be seeing reductions in all sorts of areas, and especially other infectious diseases. Does the data support that, and to what degree?

-ERD50

I have not seen any data on how masks, social distancing etc are affecting the common cold and things like stomach viruses but I have seen articles that state that influenza was substantially reduced this summer in the southern hemisphere (such as Australia). With influenza season coming up soon in the northern hemisphere it will be interesting to see the statistics on that.

It is rare if I get a cold even before Covid. Knock on wood.
Usually get one about once in 3 years on average. Some vitals could be better, but otherwise retirement and less overall social contact working out in this area.

DW and I typically get a cold a year or so. So far, no colds at all this year. Never had the flu but always take the shot. YMMV

-ERD50
Reports from the southern hemisphere are that flu cases are low this year.

WHO's latest report confirms few cases in tropical Africa and SE Asia. Still too soon to tell in the temperate zones.

Last edited:
DW and I typically get a cold a year or so. So far, no colds at all this year. Never had the flu but always take the shot. YMMV

+1

Over the past few years, we've started keeping some of that ZiCam on the shelf. At the VERY FIRST sign of a cold, I take those as indicated on the bottle. My average cold used to last 7-10 days...but when taking ZiCam they typically last 3-4 days and are less severe. Something about the Zinc really helps.

We always get flu shot, but one year I got the flu anyway...doc said it was probably a different strain lol.

+1

Over the past few years, we've started keeping some of that ZiCam on the shelf. At the VERY FIRST sign of a cold, I take those as indicated on the bottle. My average cold used to last 7-10 days...but when taking ZiCam they typically last 3-4 days and are less severe. Something about the Zinc really helps.

We always get flu shot, but one year I got the flu anyway...doc said it was probably a different strain lol.

DH and I take Zinc also for colds. It helps me but DH does not get much benefit from it. He has an autoimmune disease and takes Humira which lowers his immunity so maybe his immune system is too low to get much help from Zinc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom