Good News--No Bad Side effects to Covid Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
same experience
I had my first Pfizer shot last week. I had a very sore arm for about 18 hours (it didn't start until 8 hours after the shot).

I slept 11 hours the first night - very unusual. Other than those two things I had no effects.

Based on everything I've read so far, it is common to have more side effects with the second shot. If it happens that's fine - it just means it's working!

Moderna:

1st dose - no side effects, very mild arm soreness for a day or so.

2nd dose - not sure. Definitely no side effects other than mild arm soreness the first 14 hours or so. But I went back into work really late for a while, so I got wound up from that, and I ended up getting very little sleep that night, which happens to me somewhat regularly, so I can't blame the vaccine for lack of sleep. I was tired and feeling a little crappy the next day, which could have been due to the lack of sleep, but it's possible the vaccine was a factor making it worse. I confirmed no elevated body temperature. No way to know if the vaccine made me feel any more tired - could have just been the lack of sleep. After a good night of sleep, I felt normal. Mild arm soreness lessened and was gone completely in another day.

I'm 9 days out from my second dose and have continued to feel fine.

I work with a woman in her 40's who felt really dizzy minutes after having her second dose (also Moderna). She went home early and didn't even come into work the next day.

Last edited:
^ did you get 2nd dose in the same arm as the first? I heard that side effects of 2nd dose are worse if you get both doses in the same arm.

^ did you get 2nd dose in the same arm as the first? I heard that side effects of 2nd dose are worse if you get both doses in the same arm.

Yes, both in my right arm. The mild soreness seemed the same both times.

Got my second dose of Moderna yesterday. This time the side effects started rather quickly , had a sore arm which I expected, in the first hour. As the day progressed, had a headache, body ache, chills and fever. Have had fever today as well, took a few Tylenols to ease the pain. Have been in bed most of the day today. Hopefully, things will be better tomorrow! Did not have any impact other than a sore arm when I got my first dose. The second dose hit me hard.

I got my Moderna second dose yesterday, along with my sister and bro-in-law.

The nurse who administered the shot said to take Tylenol if I had any pain. She also said she thought I'd have fewer side effects than with shot #1 (when I had zero arm tenderness, but an hour of mild chills at 30 hrs after the first shot.)

All 3 of us had mild tenderness at the injection site last night and today. I woke up at 6am today with a dull headache and fell back asleep for a few hours. It was gone when I eventually got up.

So far, so good. :)

omni

Had our first Moderna shot 10 hours ago. Other than a slightly sore arm when lifting the arm, nothing. DH the same. The NP who was watching over us during the 30 minute wait time said the 2nd dose will most likely have some.

48 hours after our shot we have a slightly sore arm. Yesterday we had very, very sore arms, mine worse than DH's. Unless I reach very high, my arm feels totally normal. No other effects.

3 days post dose 1. Slightly sore arm day 1. No effects day 2 or 3. Lifting weights/ all exercises with no problem.

Gal and I got our first shots (Moderna) on 1/19 and were due for our second on 2/16. Neither of us could even find the shot sites by touch/pain within a few minutes. Zero reactions to the first, but a large sense of relief. We were all over getting our second shots scheduled, but there were no openings on our date. Had a bad feeling that with the vaccine shortage it would be several months before we could get in, even though we were getting word that Riverside County would contact us to tell us when we could schedule shots.

They actually did email us and send us to a special secret site for second shot people! We jumped on it and 1/2 hour after getting the emails we are all signed up to get shots #2 on 2/22. Outstanding! Looking forward to hanging out with some others who have similar social habits and are getting shots in the same time frame.

Got my 2nd shot of Moderna yesterday morning. Started feeling a little achy and odd after about 12 hours. Took one NyQuil pill to help me sleep. That worked reasonably well. I woke up some feeling achy and cold. But overall I slept.

This morning I mostly was dealing with a mild headache and foggy head. Took some Aleve and by afternoon was feeling normal. Except my arm soreness is definitely there. About the same as the first shot.

So my experience with vaccines in order of impacts.

Flu - easy peazy
Covid - several mild effects but not so bad
Shingles - grab your cowboy hat and get ready for a ride

Had 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday. Only side effect is a very, very sore arm....more so than the first dose. Uncomfortable sleeping last night because of the arm situation but no other side effects. Thankful I was able to get the vaccine!

I had first Pfizer Feb 2 .... just was able to feel the injection site if I touched it, otherwise no sore arm. No other symptoms.

Rich

Had 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday. Only side effect is a very, very sore arm....more so than the first dose. Uncomfortable sleeping last night because of the arm situation but no other side effects. Thankful I was able to get the vaccine!
Second Pfizer shot in same arm as first?

I got my first Pfizer at a drive-up stadium parking lot site last week Thursday. So on driver's side, in left arm, which is also my preferred arm for vaccines. To use the right arm, I'd have to crawl over to passenger side.

In the past, whenever I got a shot in the right arm, it seemed to be a little bit reactive, where my left arm hasn't been so far, thusly, left is my preferred vax arm. But if I start hearing that Pfizer second dose in same arm tends to be significantly worse, I may scoot over to the other side anyway. But I really don't hear much description from people if they are using the same arm for Doses 1 and 2.

DH and I get our second Moderna vaccine tomorrow. I got my first shot in the right arm because I was on the passenger side of the car but I am going to try to get my second shot in my left arm if I can figure out how to do it (maybe sit in the back seat?). Several friends have gotten their second doses this week. Three of the women ran a fever for a couple of days, none of the men have run a fever. From my informal polling it seems that people who run a fever from the vaccine are small people. The large men did not run a fever but the smaller women did. Everyone gets the same size dose--I wonder if people who weigh less are more likely to get side effects? I will report back after tomorrow (but my theory about size may not apply to me and my DH since both of us are about the same size--I am almost 6 feet tall).

Suggestion for side sleepers: if you tend to sleep more on one side have the shot in the opposite arm.

I tend to sleep on my right side because of allergies and a deviated septum (old football injury, no I was not in the NFL). Unfortunately the shot yesterday was in the right arm. It's pretty sore but not a big issue.

DW got the chills at night but is fine otherwise.

Suggestion for side sleepers: if you tend to sleep more on one side have the shot in the opposite arm.

I tend to sleep on my right side because of allergies and a deviated septum (old football injury, no I was not in the NFL). Unfortunately the shot yesterday was in the right arm. It's pretty sore but not a big issue.

DW got the chills at night but is fine otherwise.

+1

Excellent suggestion

Same for me regarding the arm after the 2nd shot. Also, a mild headache. Thank you, VA.

I read something that said don't take anything to reduce symptoms because you don't want to reduce the immune response.

My mom, 91, has had both shots and reports no side effects, not even a sore arm.

Got Pfizer yesterday and my arm is sore and I woke up with a headache. I read not to take any pain medication before the vaccine but you can the next day if needed. I took aspirin this morning for my headache. I wanted it in my left arm due to being right handed.

I had my first Moderna vax two weeks ago at 10am on a Fri. The site of the shot on my arm was sore, more than flu shot sore - that peaked about 2am, or 16 hours after the shot. Felt better and better all day Sat, wasn't sore any more when I went to bed Sat night or thereafter. I had NO other side effects. Looking forward to my second vax in two weeks.

Last edited:
Had my second Pfizer dose on 2/8. opposite arm from the first.
Arm a bit more sore, mild headache again, felt warm off and on but no fever(that was more comfortable than the ice cold bone chills I had with the first!)
I waited until day #2 to take Tylenol for the persistent headache, which went away about an hour after the meds.
I will take this vaccine as a yearly booster if needed with no problems or concerns.
Agree with MuirWannabe--my Shingrix reaction was way worse!

I had my second Moderna shot this morning (so grateful!). I got the shot in the other arm this time and at the suggestion of the nurse who gave me the shot I have been really moving the arm so it will not get so sore this time (even lifted weights when i got home). So far so good.

Had my 1st dose of Pfizer at noon on Wednesday. Within a couple of hours, I had a mild headache. I didn’t notice any arm soreness until during the night, when I woke up because my arm was aching. I got up around 4:30 Thursday am, because I couldn’t get back to sleep. My arm continued to ache, I had a low key headache off and on, and generally felt blah all day. Today, arm is fine, and I feel back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom