Good News--No Bad Side effects to Covid Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since you asked,

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV :) "but" it seems like "most" of the more intense side effects I have read about come after the second shot... Maybe for some, maybe not for others.... YMMV

That "plus" lots of articles like this one (link below) "suggest" that you get over 90% of the protection after the first shot... I've read articles that claim that number is as low as ~60% and as high as ~90%. There's so much information (and misinformation) out there who really knows... Dr Fauchi still says get two shots.... To be honest, that's almost a good enough reason for me to only get one.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/18/single-pfizer-moderna-vaccine-dose-nearly-as-effective-as-two/
Leaving aside the snark, the recommendation of 2 shots with a 4 week interval is from the vaccine developer and based on their real world trials.

Leaving aside the snark, the recommendation of 2 shots with a 4 week interval is from the vaccine developer and based on their real world trials.
As I understand it, that is true. That is "their" recommendation.

Last edited:
Interesting you mentioned the mask... In Texas the statewide mask mandate has been removed (as of Wednesday) but I still see about the same number of people wearing masks. (maybe ~60+%). Even though I've had "the first shot" I'll continue to wear my mask at least until the summer... I'll probably reassess about then.

Yep. Better safe than sorry.

Guess my wife and I are the first on this thread with the J&J one shot vaccine. Both had slight soreness in the arms. I had minimal chills and a slight headache the night after. All good now. Still wearing N95 masks in public. Would hate to catch Covid before full immunity kicks in.

Welcome to the "got vaccinated" club! :greetings10:

We are doing the masks too. Our county just got out of the "purple" designation which allows some more commercial openings. As long as the case counts and positivity rates stay highish we will continue.

Just having the side effects from the shot reminded us how bad flues can be. No fun even if not life threatening.

When the USA map (takes a short time to come up) shows hardly any color we will feel much safer:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

Last edited:
Well since you asked,

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV :) "but" it seems like "most" of the more intense side effects I have read about come after the second shot... Maybe for some, maybe not for others.... YMMV

That "plus" lots of articles like this one (link below) "suggest" that you get over 90% of the protection after the first shot... I've read articles that claim that number is as low as ~60% and as high as ~90%. There's so much information (and misinformation) out there who really knows... Dr Fauchi still says get two shots.... To be honest, that's almost a good enough reason for me to only get one.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/18/single-pfizer-moderna-vaccine-dose-nearly-as-effective-as-two/

I did some searching on why some show low percentages and some show higher.
Turns out they took the first reading at 2 weeks after the first shot to get 52% and took another reading just prior to the 2nd dose at 92%.
The immunity was still growing at 2 weeks.
Google "COVID-19 Vaccine Efficacy After First Dose: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca"

But in Israel a study was done that showed the single shot didn't work as well for cancer patients but did for healthy folks.

Yes. While it looks like the efficacy after one dose is quite impressive, I personally would be concerned about the longevity of that without good data.

I've read that generally older people on average have less side-effects. Thankfully my mom and stepdad reported almost none. Glad that many read here have not or reported minimal/mild

Myself, 44M, and got 2nd Pfizer shot Tues 3/9/21, have not been lucky. Have had the gauntlet of side-effects. Had to take a sick day off work 3rd day. This is day 5 and waking up with now unpleasantly usual rear headache (behind ears) and neck pain. 325 mg Aspirin has become common.

I doubt anything can be done but hope effects peters out in the next 2-3 days. The longer it goes, the more worrisome - seems to be a bit of diminishment or I could be telling myself that. The headache is low-to-moderate, and at least not in the temples or brows - its less bothersome at rear.

1st Pfizer shot had no additional side-effects besides sore-arm. :-\

This sounds very similar to my experience. No major side effects with the first shot but I got the second dose yesterday morning and feel pretty rough still. The fever and chills are gone, thankfully, but there’s a sharp headache right behind my ears. I really hope it doesn’t linger for days!!

Well since you asked,

I read an article about a study that said if you've had covid you only need one shot. They tested people for antibodies and people who've had covid and got the first shot increased their antibodies a thousand fold, but the second shot showed no more increase. I'll try to find it and post it.
Edit: Not the article I first saw but interesting anyway https://www.khou.com/article/news/v...check/65-5a972610-c2c8-455b-83a1-a3d6decfb41f

Makes sense to me that people who have covid would only need one shot. Having covid is akin to getting the first shot and getting the first shot is like a non covid person getting the second.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.29.21250653v1

Last edited:
40 hours out from first shot Moderna. So far, I think, just a bit of arm pain for both DW and I. Just a nuisance. It is almost gone today.

However yesterday I had a hard time concentrating and made a bad mistake driving that thankfully didn't result in an accident. I don't think it is "brain fog" from the vaccine, I think it is the time change! I'll probably never know why I was so out of it yesterday.

I read an article about a study that said if you've had covid you only need one shot. They tested people for antibodies and people who've had covid and got the first shot increased their antibodies a thousand fold, but the second shot showed no more increase. I'll try to find it and post it.
Edit: Not the article I first saw but interesting anyway https://www.khou.com/article/news/v...check/65-5a972610-c2c8-455b-83a1-a3d6decfb41f

Makes sense to me that people who have covid would only need one shot. Having covid is akin to getting the first shot and getting the first shot is like a non covid person getting the second.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.29.21250653v1

France and Spain are both giving only one shot to people who have had COVID.

France and Spain are both giving only one shot to people who have had COVID.

This has been hotly debated in the US. I would personally would have felt cheated if the first 2 dose vaccines were cut by 1. But the EU is behind the curve and desperate to get many people vaccinated. Probably the best approach for them.

A plot I saw today:

image1.jpg

We got the first Moderna shot two weeks ago. Just a little fatigued the next day but nothing bad.

Last Wednesday I developed what's come to be known as Covid arm which is swelling, redness and itchiness around the injection site. It's pretty much back to normal now. But then today at two weeks out my wife noticed some redness and swelling on her arm too. It's a known reaction and doesn't really bother us. Just weird for it to occur a week or two after the injection.

DGF and I got our first shot on Sunday. Just a slightly sore arm for both of us.
I was able to get my shot, as there was a cancellation and they were willing to give it to me even though under 65 in FLA.
60 TO 65 requirement starts this week.

Just got first Moderna shot on Saturday. I had covid in February so, as was noted in studies, my side effects were worse. Felt lousy for 2 days. Actually felt like a milder covid. All set now....until my next shot.

I talked with my sister last night. She received her first Pfizer jab exactly 3 weeks ago on the same day my wife and I got our AZ shots.

She had Covid over Christmas and was pretty sick with it, as was her husband. It appeared that, like us, she only had mild side effects lasting a day or 2 after receiving her jab. However, she has lupus and this past 10 days has been suffering badly from a lupus flare up and is convinced that it is due to the vaccine. The Covid symptoms of tiredness and numbness in fingers or toes for both her and her husband lasted a couple of months.

DW and I got 2nd Moderna shot yesterday around 2pm. Similar to 1st shot had no soreness in arms on the 1st day, have soreness at injection site today but nothing terrible. No other symptoms so far after 20 hours.

Guess my wife and I are the first on this thread with the J&J one shot vaccine. Both had slight soreness in the arms. I had minimal chills and a slight headache the night after. All good now. Still wearing N95 masks in public. Would hate to catch Covid before full immunity kicks in.

My wife 71 and myself 67. Johnson& Johnson on 3/10/2021. No side effects at all.

Someone mentioned younger people having more severe side effects, presumably because of their immune systems being able to kick in harder. It sounds like that's the case with the blood clot issue linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine. France is recommending that vaccine be given only to those over 55.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/scient...ing-linked-to-astrazeneca-vaccine-11616169108

Two teams of medical researchers in Norway and Germany have independently found that the vaccine could trigger an autoimmune reaction causing blood to clot in the brain...Most of the people affected were women under the age of 55...The French healthcare authority, which recorded three cases of CVST connected to the vaccine, advised the government on Friday to only administer the shot to people older than 55.

Just got first Moderna shot on Saturday. I had covid in February so, as was noted in studies, my side effects were worse. Felt lousy for 2 days. Actually felt like a milder covid. All set now....until my next shot.
+1
We likely had Covid-19 last April and DW felt the same after her first dose of Moderna. I had similar but lesser effects.

Starting about 5 days after Moderna shot 1, I've noticed occasional mild dizzy symptoms. It is similar to BPPV, and even responds a bit like BPPV in that it can be positional.

I get this same feeling when recovering from the flu. This is likely due to swollen tissues and/or nerves.

So far, only a nuisance. My body is clearly doing something in response.

I had a very strong reaction to the first Moderna shot. It wasn't that bad for the first 24 hours, just my arm aching. Then in the evening, I felt drowsy, my appetite disappeared, then headache, chills, and fever all night. It was a little scary, but I felt better by late morning, and by mid-afternoon, I was myself again. The ache in my arm lasted two more days.
For for the second shot, I made an extra effort to move my arm, especially making sure I could raise my hand overhead. I also drank more water. The following afternoon, I really needed a nap. A few hours after that, I was feeling cold, and my temperature was rising. So I took aspirin and went to bed. And that was pretty much it.

My husband felt tired and achy for a couple days both times.

You really never know. Just don't make any big plans for the days after a covid vaccination.

I had my second Pfizer vaccine two days ago and had some mild side effects: a slight headache for about 24 hours and a little fatigue the next day that required a nap. After the nap, some minor chills and a slight temperature increase that lasted for a few hours. Now I have swollen lymph glands near my left armpit, the side where I was injected. My last mammogram was a month ago so am sure this is due to the vaccine but will monitor to ensure it is temporary. My arm was also quite sore. I had no side effects with my first shot.

I am pleased that I had some reaction as this is a sign that my immune system is responding to the vaccine. I drank a lot of water but did not take any medication since my side effects were mild and I did not want to take anything that might inhibit the immune response. According to this AARP article only 4% of those ages 65-74 reported side effects with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines and I am age 65.

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2020/coronavirus-vaccine-side-effects.html

Last edited:
I got the Moderna vaccine 8 days ago. I actually had side effects for a week. First two days were ok. I felt tired, had a mild headache for about 3 days. Six days after the shot, my back and legs ached, and I could not get comfortable, as if the bones hurt. It was really bad when I was trying to sleep. Then fine on day 7I had a doctor's appointment and my doctor said both she and her partner felt the same way, as well as half of the office staff. I'll plan on finding some long books to read when I get the second dose.

Isn't it remarkable how different all of our side effects are? DH and I at ages 70 and 69 had Moderna and only side effects were sore arms for both of our shots. The sore arms were not nearly as bad as for the Tetanus shot.

I got the Moderna vaccine 8 days ago. I actually had side effects for a week. First two days were ok. I felt tired, had a mild headache for about 3 days. Six days after the shot, my back and legs ached, and I could not get comfortable, as if the bones hurt. It was really bad when I was trying to sleep. Then fine on day 7I had a doctor's appointment and my doctor said both she and her partner felt the same way, as well as half of the office staff. I'll plan on finding some long books to read when I get the second dose.
Sorry you (and your doctor and her partner) had such bad side effects from the Moderna vaccine! I hope you are feeling better by now. From what I have been reading some people have had really, really bad side effects, others have had milder side effects, and some people have had none at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom