Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the Kirkland brand. It’s comfortable without being too thick or cushy, and the rolls last a long time. DH’s biggest complaint is that squares often don’t tear off cleanly, and I have to admit that he has a point.

+1
I look at the square footage 1593.7 Total sq. ft. and the Kirkland brand is really a deal when viewed that way.
Even better price than Sam's per sq ft.

I just cancelled my Walmart delivery trial, I had high hopes for it but 2 weeks in a row I got less than half of my order and I was charged for a number of items not delivered (got a credit back after a long phone call to WM). So I am back to my tried and true WM curbside. Sigh, I had hopes for the delivery service so I would not have to haul groceries up the steps.... By the way I talked to the delivery person, she was not an employee of WM, she was employed by "Postmates" so maybe that was the problem.

By the way I talked to the delivery person, she was not an employee of WM, she was employed by "Postmates" so maybe that was the problem.

I always thought that naming a food delivery service Postmates was rather odd.
Before I knew what it was I thought it was delivery service but for hard goods not food.

Their website mentions alcohol so maybe you can do that.

I bunch up my booze order for Walmart, buy 8 bottles of wine at the same time, just so the hassle is once in a while, rather than every order for 1 bottle.
It's curbside.

Today we went to Costco, at 3pm it was CROWDED... I really detested it being so crowded, grabbed my stuff and self checkout. Of course because I am using self checkout to stay isolated, 2 staff come over to help... :eek:

I much prefer Sam's self checkout that has a little gun, you can just shot the bar code right in the basket. At Costco, you have to take everything out of the basket and put on the big metal shelf, then put back in your cart.

Costco had Charmin, but no Costco toilet paper. .

Our Costco still has special early hour for members over 60 starting at 9:00am. I try to arrive at about 9:10 and there is no line to enter. Inside there are more employees than customers, with most isles empty. I love it and hope they continue to offer this service.

I just cancelled my Walmart delivery trial, I had high hopes for it but 2 weeks in a row I got less than half of my order and I was charged for a number of items not delivered (got a credit back after a long phone call to WM). So I am back to my tried and true WM curbside. Sigh, I had hopes for the delivery service so I would not have to haul groceries up the steps.... By the way I talked to the delivery person, she was not an employee of WM, she was employed by "Postmates" so maybe that was the problem.

As a follow up on my Walmart grocery delivery debacle (ordered $170 worth of groceries, only got $50 worth) I reordered everything I did not get for curbside pick up and I received everything! How is it that these groceries were not available for delivery but were available for pick up? I have requested a call from Walmart on this issue. If I ever hear from them I will report back.

As a follow up on my Walmart grocery delivery debacle (ordered $170 worth of groceries, only got $50 worth) I reordered everything I did not get for curbside pick up and I received everything! How is it that these groceries were not available for delivery but were available for pick up? I have requested a call from Walmart on this issue. If I ever hear from them I will report back.

I'll bet the problem is postmates, as there seems to be a lot of various complaints about them.

https://postmates.pissedconsumer.com/review.html

went to costco just before closing time last night, good time for no people, bad time for products. Most paper products were either gone or placed in different areas, so I had to search the whole store instead of run in and grab :-(.
did find toilet paper, paper napkins, and business sized paper towel rolls, along with some generic sanitizing wipes (not clorox or kirkland brand)
No kleenex tissue or regular paper towels.
Also got the dogs glucosamine and treats.
In and out took longer than I had planned due to needing to find things. Hate it when they move products around!
I probably could order cloth napkins and more kitchen towels so I don't need to get so much paper products.

I am now using Walmart delivery and I just put in an order and found out you cannot order beer or wine to be delivered to your home through Walmart. I don't know if this is specific to my state or not. I don't drink much but I guess when I want wine or beer I will have to do Walmart curbside (Walmart does sell alcohol curbside).

The booze situation with Walmart must be regional. Here in the Chicago suburbs, Walmart does NOT sell alcohol curbside.

Our Jewel grocery store does and has a complete liquor department. The person who brings it to your car has to check your ID and record your DL number.

Because Walmart does NOT sell alcohol curbside and Jewel does, it seems to be a preference of Walmart and not a local government rule which would apply to both stores.

Picked up a Walmart curbside order today and went into a local grocery store. Walmart was only out of the bread I ordered. The local grocery store was pretty well stocked but absolutely no head lettuce (iceburg, green, romaine), fuller shelves but fewer product choices, and few Thanksgiving items except turkeys and cans of cranberry sauce. That store makes great gravy and fresh orange/cranberry sauce which is usually available by the first week in November. It was no where to be found today but they were reconfiguring shelves in a few sections so maybe they were getting ready to put out the pre-made items. A few weeks ago there were no potatoes available. This week plenty of potatoes in all varieties and sizes. Supplies still seem somewhat hit or miss in our area.

As a side note we ordered a new freezer in July because our old one is about to die. The freezer is finally being delivered this weekend.

went to costco just before closing time last night, good time for no people, bad time for products.

We find that about an 45 minutes to an hour before closing is a great time for getting what we need. I agree, it's not the best time if you want things like TP when it's in short supply. Same with things like roasted chicken or meat in general. However, the things we buy seem to be there at that time and it's been a good time to get in and get out.

Also agree that M-Th mid day is good too. Gotta get in and out before 3:00 when people get out of school and work. Even virtual school and work keep people away from the stores for the most part during the day.

The booze situation with Walmart must be regional. Here in the Chicago suburbs, Walmart does NOT sell alcohol curbside.

Our Jewel grocery store does and has a complete liquor department. The person who brings it to your car has to check your ID and record your DL number.

Because Walmart does NOT sell alcohol curbside and Jewel does, it seems to be a preference of Walmart and not a local government rule which would apply to both stores.

I live in the Chicago burbs, and in my burb they DO bring wine to the car and check id curbside.
You must live in the wrong burb :hide:

In Iowa, Walmart will bring beer and liquor to your car for pick up. So does our local Hy-Vee grocery store. But they don't delver it. I wish they did.

Anticipated shut-down?

We made our monthly BJs run and gas fill-up Friday morning. I had tried to order BJs paper towels the night before, but they were listed as "sold out." Uh-oh, I thought. I tried to order granite cleaner and disinfectant, which had a coupon - sold out.

Then, entering the store, I noticed that every. single. cart had a giant pack of expensive Bounty towels. It was the only brand on the shelves, and flying away quickly.

They had some off-brand plastic gloves, but only size Small (I wear Large).

After our NM Gov announced yesterday the 'freeze' for the next two weeks that starts on Monday, the news showed lines outside of Costco last night. Today, our NextDoor folks are reporting the nearest Albertsons and Costco being out of the paper products. The 'Freeze' order did limit certain paper products to three each. Most of it was stuff for babies.

After our NM Gov announced yesterday the 'freeze' for the next two weeks that starts on Monday, the news showed lines outside of Costco last night. Today, our NextDoor folks are reporting the nearest Albertsons and Costco being out of the paper products. The 'Freeze' order did limit certain paper products to three each. Most of it was stuff for babies.

The New Mexico "freeze" for Big Box retail spaces is 25% occupancy or 75 customers, whichever is lesser. The previous mandate was just 25% occupancy. When you have typical 100% occupancy limits of 4000 for a Costco or 3000 for a large grocery store, 75 customers is not very many. People expect they will be standing in line outside in the cold starting Monday when the revised public health order takes effect, so are stocking up this weekend. But there is also a fear factor.

I just came off a 2 week travel quarantine last week and made it to the grocery store on Wednesday to restock on perishables, dry goods, etc. Had planned to go on my regular every 3 month run to Costco early next week to buy meat, frozen seafood, vitamins/supplements, misc. Will still try go but arrive a couple of hours before closing time and hope I do not have to stand in line. Fortunately I have enough paper products to last a while.

Last edited:
Here in SW WA, my pick up order at Meyer has been delayed. A frantic phone call said they are slammed with 20 pickups an hour. This is a sudden uptick - until recently we could put in an order and pick it up within a few hours.

I was in our local Costcos on Thursday and both had scads of paper products including Kirkland brand which is nice. It seemed not that many carts had paper products so people must be saturated or confident of the supply.

I go to my local market once a week. Our county has the lowest incidence of anywhere in Southern Calif., so I feel pretty safe. I wear both a mask and gloves.

I gave up on the senior hours after the first time, because they do not stock shelves until 8 or 9 AM.
The only thing they were short of was Viva towels, but they had a special on them that day.

So I tried to put in a curbside delivery order. Last week, Walmart had some Lysol products available, one to a purchase.

This week, every Lysol product is sold out. Even toilet bowl cleaner.

So is the temporary hair color I have used for years. The last time it sold out was during the first shutdown. Glad I stocked up when it was available.

I guess we are fighting each other again.

I just started using Walgreen’s curbside pickup. I will use it when I just need milk, bread or eggs since they have no minimum for their orders. Because fresh produce only lasts so long, you can only order so much at a time. This will help me fill in when I only need one of the above staples.

I expect Costco to be packed today (Sunday). The Guv is scheduled to speak in about two hours and give us his latest restrictions. Lucky us. I will probably make a Costco run later in the week during senior hours. I also need to hit the supermarket for produce. No need to rush.

Just found a $10 off $50 offer for food and beverage for Target Circle in the Target app.
Since we have to go to buy some Target gift cards anyway, we will stock up on some groceries groceries.
We still have enough rubbing alcohol.

I live in the Chicago burbs, and in my burb they DO bring wine to the car and check id curbside.
You must live in the wrong burb :hide:

Interesting. I'm talking about the Walmart near the intersection of Route 53 and Route 20. I just went to the web site to double check and if I search for wine, it only shows cooking wine. If I search for beer, it only shows non-alcoholic beer and root beer. Hmmmmmm........ I've been in there a number of times and they do indeed have wine and beer on the shelves.

Don't have time now but later I'll switch my search to some other Walmart locations and see what happens. And I'll ask the associate about it when he brings my groceries to the car next week.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm talking about the Walmart near the intersection of Route 53 and Route 20. I just went to the web site to double check and if I search for wine, it only shows cooking wine. If I search for beer, it only shows non-alcoholic beer and root beer. Hmmmmmm........ I've been in there a number of times and they do indeed have wine and beer on the shelves.

Don't have time now but later I'll switch my search to some other Walmart locations and see what happens. And I'll ask the associate about it when he brings my groceries to the car next week.

Thanks.

I see if I search at Walmart.com , I see nearly zero choices.
But when I select the grocery side of walmart.com I see lots:
https://www.walmart.com/grocery/search/?query=wine

From Walmart.com , on the very top left I select "Pickup and delivery" to show the grocery side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom