Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see if I search at Walmart.com , I see nearly zero choices.
But when I select the grocery side of walmart.com I see lots:
https://www.walmart.com/grocery/search/?query=wine

From Walmart.com , on the very top left I select "Pickup and delivery" to show the grocery side.

Hmmmmm...... Not working for me Sunset. If I go to Walmart.com, I do get alcoholic selections but all are labeled "In Store Purchase Only." If I go to the grocery side, I just get wine glasses, cooking wine, non-alcoholic beer, etc.

I tried some different stores with the same results.

Clicking on the link you provided also returns just grape juice cocktail, wine glasses, etc., but no alcohol.

I guess I need to call them. Have you actually had beer and/or wine brought to your car curbside? If so, PM me the store that did this.

This isn't a major problem for me as I just order from Jewel and their liquor selection is much better than Walmart. But it's buggin' me as to why it looks like no alcohol curbside when I'm ordering from Walmart. :confused:

Hmmmmm...... Not working for me Sunset. If I go to Walmart.com, I do get alcoholic selections but all are labeled "In Store Purchase Only." If I go to the grocery side, I just get wine glasses, cooking wine, non-alcoholic beer, etc.

I tried some different stores with the same results.

Clicking on the link you provided also returns just grape juice cocktail, wine glasses, etc., but no alcohol.

I guess I need to call them. Have you actually had beer and/or wine brought to your car curbside? If so, PM me the store that did this.

This isn't a major problem for me as I just order from Jewel and their liquor selection is much better than Walmart. But it's buggin' me as to why it looks like no alcohol curbside when I'm ordering from Walmart. :confused:

Do you or have you ordered groceries from Walmart curbside before ?
Perhaps if you don't have a grocery account, that is why wine/booze does not show up ?

I've had them bring wine to my car multiple times, as part of a grocery order. Last time it was 8 bottles :LOL: , but that is just to do it all at once.

I downloaded a new (3rd) browser and tested.
Turns out it varies depending upon the Walmart location.

I'll pm you my Walmart so you can see, but you might find one closer to you than mine.

Last edited:
[mod-edit]

I've been doing curb-side at Walmart since February. Love it. I've managed to avoid going in the store since then except for 1 or 2 quick trips. Now Costco on the other hand, 3 or 4 times (each time several hundreds of $). Now, with numbers quickly increasing, I will stick to curbside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Commenting about a pickup charge, is there perhaps a minimum to do a free pickup ? I know at Walmart right now you need a 35 dollar order for a free pickup.

Anybody else tried the new Walmart service that delivers groceries to your home? (costs $100 per year or about $13 per month). I had high hopes for it and tried it twice but it was a disaster. Anybody been able to use this service successfully?

Yes I "share" it with my sister in another state. I love it. Also love the extra nickel off gas at Wal-Mart with it

Yes I "share" it with my sister in another state. I love it. Also love the extra nickel off gas at Wal-Mart with it

Mrs HaloFire, the problem I had was that many of the items I ordered (all meats I ordered and many other items) were "out of stock" even though I was able to get these same items at WM curbside that same day. Also on my second delivery I was charged for about $50 worth of items I did not receive and had to spend over an hour on the phone to get a refund. Have you had any of these type issues?

I guess I'm still the only one that misses the "experience" of shopping.
I kinda miss shopping as it was pre-Covid. I don't find today's shopping a very good substitute for that. It's just not the same by a long shot.

[mod-edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a valuable 90 page thread about grocery shopping, you might think we want to hear your political views, but I'm more interested in hearing about grocery shopping experiences. Taking political and laughing about ducking under the chair isn't cool. Just don't.

Where's my chair when I really need it? Actually, the chair was because I disagree with the past several entries extolling the virtues of curb delivery and delivery. Hadn't thought of anything else though obviously someone did since YMMV.

Last edited:
It's right there on my checkout screen.

Copy/Paste

Perhaps you have a nicer smile than I:confused:
I totally believe you, I'm just surprised that one Meyer would waive the fee and another would charge it. I think we are in the same state. :confused:

Maybe it depends on the Walmart involved. I have a big order coming in the morning, so far I have had good results (about 8 months in). I can't get everything I need there, but maybe 90% or so....

I guess I'm still the only one that misses the "experience" of shopping. Even if I have a list, I'll always see stuff we actually need when I get there. Costco especially and even grocery stores seem to be taking social distancing and especially masks seriously, so I worry a lot less about spread than I used to. Costco sprays down their carts between shoppers and I carry my own little bottle of sanitizer. Large as Costco is, with those tall ceilings and huge "volume" (of air) it's virtually "out of doors" especially with those huge fans on the ceiling and the sun light streaming in.

Other than the masks, gloves, social distancing, and hand sanitizer, the shopping experience is the same for me :). I treat it more like driving - try to be safe driver, but understanding there is a risk that as safe as you drive that will not prevent you from getting into a serious accident, but that does not keep me from driving.

Perhaps also, I have had to shop in more dangerous conditions... where folks were waiting outside the store to shake you down, or rob you of food or money or both, or follow you home for a current or future burglary... or even just being followed around the store because you did not "look like everyone else"...having experienced and dealt with that when younger gives me perhaps a different perspective than many here. :)

Well we are back to curbside pickup for the foreseeable future. I had started going into one grocery store we like and all summer/early Fall people were 100% wearing masks, social distancing, etc. This past week I guess people just gave up. Saw one lady with her mask down around her chin so she could drink her coffee (the in-store coffee shop is closed so she brought it in), one woman on her cell phone with her mask down yapping away as she walked through the store, people were not social distancing, etc. Since people can't wait 20 minutes for a cup of coffee or a chat with their friends we're back to being 100% stuck at home. Super disappointing as grocery shopping was the only safe(ish) outing I could do since DH is high risk. (Yes, I'm grumpy about it).

Harllee,
I have had just a little trouble with availability on items I am certain they have in stock (scissors 2 wks in a row with no substitutions offered comes to mind). When there were widespread availability issues there were probs getting those items but same probs as the local chain HEB. Meat was hard to get everywhere at one point.

Never charged for anything not delivered. Couple issues with bruised apples I went online and they instantaneously refunded. Sister has not mentioned any issues in eastern NC. Might be well worth letting the store know that they are subpar if you have not. We really enjoy the service. Maybe 11 today I setup an order delivered at 4pm. I went through dry storage at dinner and have another list ready to go. Driving to the store for curbside is so Feb 2020 lol. We are now too spoiled for that

I see it with three or four acquaintances on FB, some of whom display common sense on other topics - just not this one.

In a nutshell, they have decided not to believe that COVID-19 is as dangerous, or contagious, as the news media (not to mention the statistics!) are saying. They are suspicious of vaccines, scornful of masks, and absolutely unwilling to give up traditional activities.

Why do people not understand that this is a very, very bad idea?:facepalm:

We grocery shop as always. Except for the masks. Get in and get out fast. Shelves are stocked with everything as usual (before covid) and we have no fear.

Except for people coughing or looking sick, then we run!

Got 4 meals at the local today, no problem.

Costco is getting way too crowded again and experiencing paper shortages. SF Bay Area. Cases in my county have been spiking for just over a week. Hospitalizations and # in ICU are still holding steady but I don't hold out any hope that this will continue. It's getting scary here.

DH and I have even decided to wear our masks (surgical kind) when out walking. About half the people we encounter during our walks are now wearing masks even though it's not necessary in our 'hood. The streets are wide and you can easily avoid others. Makes me feel good that others are as concerned as we are. Neighboring counties are also spiking and they're still trying to determine what is causing this.

Anybody else tried the new Walmart service that delivers groceries to your home? (costs $100 per year or about $13 per month). I had high hopes for it and tried it twice but it was a disaster. Anybody been able to use this service successfully?
We are using it and like it (we are in Virginia in the Shenandoah Valley). We've had 4 or 5 orders. The only downside we've noticed so far is that you can't decline substitutions and a couple were unacceptable (example: ordered low sodium soy sauce and got regular). Our solution is to stipulate no substitutions. The produce has been quite good, like we would pick out and no items have been missing from our orders. Our orders have been fairly large (about $200 each), so we have been including $15 tips.

We also have Walmart curbside pickup available and were utilizing that before the delivery service recently became available.

Last edited:
As Rae mentioned above, new restrictions just got implemented in Michigan. The restrictions don’t bother me too much but I do see all the signs of increased contagion from the virus. Case counts are increasing and hospitals are getting full. So, I’m going to be even more careful at the store. I’ll be limiting my visits to slower times and not going in if it looks too busy. I’m also switching over to some KN95 masks I have and am considering getting some additional N95 masks to be even more careful. I was also thinking about a face shield - mainly just to help me keep my hands away from my face until I can wash or sanitize them.

Toilet paper and paper towels are in stock, but the shelves are definitely not as full as before the pandemic. I would say 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom