Home Covid Testing

We had dinner at our local Cracker Barrel not too long ago

We're still making the choice to avoid indoor dining. It just doesn't seem worth the risk, especially when the only reward is a meal at a routine restaurant. Maybe we're excessively cautious?

Come on down to my neck of the woods. We had dinner at our local Cracker Barrel not too long ago and about the time we were leaving, it started filling up with the after church crowd. Hacking, coughing, no masks...it was a sight to behold. As we walked out, I asked my DW if she enjoyed her dinner at "The COVID Barrel" :facepalm:

On one hand, I don't think getting it would be too terrible. Then, I think about the long haulers and what we don't know about long term effects. Throw in a few studies that have shown that some of those infected had their own antibodies turn on them. You just cannot win with this.
Aaaaah! Reminder to self - keep skipping the restaurants!

It’s very very difficult to beat our home cooking. The bar is very high.

Last edited:
Based on the news that heard immunity is not going to happen (ie we all will acquire the virus eventually), Germany is giving up on testing "cases", and will concentrate on tests for clinical purposes.

Yes, apparently the experts are starting to admit that every person in the world will have the virus enter their nose. Of course vaccination will mean fewer people with symptoms, but they'll spread it. So this changes the calculus. If everyone will end up getting it sooner or later, the idea to test in order to contain is less important.
I guess this is sort of along the lines of what I have been thinking. I don't see much purpose in testing myself. If I feel even the teensiest bit sick, I stay away from other people so I can't breathe or cough or sneeze on them. If I don't feel sick, I go out to lunch and so on but still try to be considerate and maintain some distance between myself and others. We have a mask mandate.

I have read that these tests result in false positives and false negatives (occasional or frequent, depending on who you believe). Anyway I'd rather behave more sensibly and cautiously in general, instead of just regulating my actions based on possibly dubious test results.

Based on the news that heard immunity is not going to happen (ie we all will acquire the virus eventually), Germany is giving up on testing "cases", and will concentrate on tests for clinical purposes.

Yes, apparently the experts are starting to admit that every person in the world will have the virus enter their nose. Of course vaccination will mean fewer people with symptoms, but they'll spread it. So this changes the calculus. If everyone will end up getting it sooner or later, the idea to test in order to contain is less important.

I've been on the "home test" soap box since early in the pandemic, and I'm thinking it's time to just take the "rip off the band-aid" approach, and get it over with. Anyone know where I should go to acquire just a few viral particles :)
I don’t think no herd immunity means every last person will catch it. It very much depends on the local prevalence of the virus.

I suspect the vaccinated are a much smaller contributor to community spread. Israel data indicates outside of household a breakthrough infection may result in spread to generally one other person.

Another knock against herd immunity: some people do get infected by COVID more than once. Although that appears to be uncommon.

Regardless I agree that beyond vaccination, cheap reasonably good home testing, work testing, and school testing is very important to maintaining much safer environments where people gather.

No, I’m not interested in actively seeking a breakthrough infection. It probably has to be a high enough dose to cause a breakthrough.

Last edited:
We're still making the choice to avoid indoor dining. It just doesn't seem worth the risk, especially when the only reward is a meal at a routine restaurant. Maybe we're excessively cautious?

I don't think YOU are being excessively cautious. I think it's an individual choice and we all have different risk parameters. We were lucky in that there were few people there during most of our meal as we planned. It might have been a "routine" restaurant but it was not the tired-of-the-routine-prep-cook-clean-repeat, so it was a reward in that sense.

We went to a sushi place yesterday (around 5:30p) and we were pretty much the only ones there and all the staff wore masks, so we felt perfectly comfortable.

I think it all boils down to risk mitigation. We aren't locking ourselves in our homes as both DW and I are fully vaccinated and are low risk *if* we get infected. We mask when we are out and about. Nonetheless, we usually stay away from stores that have a lot of people (like Wal Mart) and when we travel, we do our best to minimize being around large crowds.

I think it's an individual choice.

Indeed. DW and I still choose to not dine indoors at restaurants for the most part. You and your DW choose to do so but try to pick uncrowded times. Your fellow patrons at the Cracker Barrel restaurant made the choice to have little/no concern.

I guess our freedom of choice here in the good ole U S of A has its rewards and its challenges!

If I have any symptoms I still plan to get tested, quickly, and a few times over if needed to confirm and rule our false neg/pos... because how I treat that illness is very different.

Sure, isolate, stay home, etc., but if it's covid AND I am a breakthru illness, sick at all, I will immediately plan for the Regeneron treatment. This isn't 2020, there is stuff you can do if you catch it early. I plan to do exactly that. Get tested, get treatment.

No I don't plan to go out and catch it on purpose. I don't believe that fatalistic nonsense. I've avoided it for 18 months and now there are vaccines and treatments. If I can take simple reasonable steps to avoid it another 6 months, or 12, etc., no doubt there will be other treatments and solutions. Just as you're better off catching it today than you were in March 2020, imagine how much better you'll be if you delay catching it till say even March 2021...

If I have any symptoms I still plan to get tested, quickly, and a few times over if needed to confirm and rule our false neg/pos... because how I treat that illness is very different.

Sure, isolate, stay home, etc., but if it's covid AND I am a breakthru illness, sick at all, I will immediately plan for the Regeneron treatment. This isn't 2020, there is stuff you can do if you catch it early. I plan to do exactly that. Get tested, get treatment.

No I don't plan to go out and catch it on purpose. I don't believe that fatalistic nonsense. I've avoided it for 18 months and now there are vaccines and treatments. If I can take simple reasonable steps to avoid it another 6 months, or 12, etc., no doubt there will be other treatments and solutions. Just as you're better off catching it today than you were in March 2020, imagine how much better you'll be if you delay catching it till say even March 2021...
+1 Pretty much same here.

If I were planning to get together with folks and I had been regularly interacting with others, I might be more aggressive about self testing if local prevalence were high, but we haven’t been getting together with other folks. Summer is very quiet in my neighborhood.

Right now in much of the US we are at peak wave again. But these waves do eventually subside. My behavior is generally driven by local prevalence. Travel etc. by the more broad prevalence. This wave seems likely to have a much longer tail, so much patience may be required.

Or 2022 or 2023 or 2024...

Not disagreeing with you per se, but this is where the "personal risk" comes in. As far as I know, the crystal ball in regards to where this ultimately ends up is just about as clear as what the stock market will do in 2022 or 2023 or 2024.

Nonetheless (and to avoid further thread drift), we have plenty of at home tests and will take them if we experience any symptoms.

Since I've discovered I can get tested close to home, 7 days/week from 9:00 AM to 6 PM, what would be the motivation for me to lay out bux for home tests kits other than convenience? Are the home tests better?

As mentioned previously in another post, I got tested for the first time Sunday and had the quick test results within minutes and the PCR results the next day.

I can afford a stack of the home test kits and can envision perhaps putting some to use. But while I can get tested free and conveniently should I switch to home testing?

For you, not much of a reason to switch. In my case it's at least a 20 minute drive to the test site. And then another 20 minutes back. And that's if there is no afternoon traffic. And they recommend an appointment or you take the chance of having to wait. All in all it's one hour of time (minimum) and 30 miles on the car. A cheap home test is well worth it from my point of view.

For you, not much of a reason to switch. In my case it's at least a 20 minute drive to the test site. And then another 20 minutes back. And that's if there is no afternoon traffic. And they recommend an appointment or you take the chance of having to wait. All in all it's one hour of time (minimum) and 30 miles on the car. A cheap home test is well worth it from my point of view.

Thanks! If it's just a convenience thing then, I'll likely just pick up a couple of test kits to have along while we're traveling.

But while I can get tested free and conveniently should I switch to home testing?
The reasons now are not as strong as they once were. Now that people that DO the test on you aren't quite as afraid of taking the Covid dirt-nap (due to being vaccinated), the tests are widely available, as you indicate. And they're paid for by someone else, yeah, so there's that. If I had symptoms, I'd still prefer to do my own test, at home, just to protect the community. It's worth $12 to me to keep from being "part of the problem". If I stayed home, I would know for sure that I didn't cause other peoples' suffering, whereas if I ventured out for a test, I wouldn't have such confidence.

Reasonable people can disagree about how much of the world's population will escape getting the disease, but they were talking 70% for herd immunity, then up to 90%. And now some experts (Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group) have thrown in the towel and said it's just going to be around for many years, and pretty much everyone will get it.

Absolutely true on your plan for testing and treatment! Using testing for clinical purposes (as opposed to public health purposes), is a great idea. So testing at home (or at the local free test places) is a great plan, so you can take action to limit the damage. I also agree that the later in the epidemic you get disease, the better your chances will be. Maybe for those that keep from getting the disease for another 6 months, they results of the "COVID-OUT" study will prove that cheap generics are protective! Certainly you don't want to catch the disease in any "wave", because that's when the hospitals would likely be less able to assist you, if you ended up needing assistance.

Last edited:
Reasonable people can disagree about how much of the world's population will escape getting the disease, but they were talking 70% for herd immunity, then up to 90%. And now some experts (Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group) have thrown in the towel and said it's just going to be around for many years, and pretty much everyone will get it.

Absolutely true on your plan for testing and treatment! Using testing for clinical purposes (as opposed to public health purposes), is a great idea. So testing at home (or at the local free test places) is a great plan, so you can take action to limit the damage. I also agree that the later in the epidemic you get disease, the better your chances will be. Maybe for those that keep from getting the disease for another 6 months, they results of the "COVID-OUT" study will prove that cheap generics are protective! Certainly you don't want to catch the disease in any "wave", because that's when the hospitals would likely be less able to assist you, if you ended up needing assistance.

Is there an argument for getting Covid sooner rather than later as we are younger? I’ve actually thought about this but certainly haven’t acted upon it yet.

Since I've discovered I can get tested close to home, 7 days/week from 9:00 AM to 6 PM, what would be the motivation for me to lay out bux for home tests kits other than convenience? Are the home tests better?

As mentioned previously in another post, I got tested for the first time Sunday and had the quick test results within minutes and the PCR results the next day.

I can afford a stack of the home test kits and can envision perhaps putting some to use. But while I can get tested free and conveniently should I switch to home testing?

Where I live it is hard to find a place to get the tests. Long line, takes forever. So I have stocked up on the home tests

Since we are driving to a college reunion in Maryland this coming weekend, I just bought Abbott's BinaxNOW tests. When we return, we will test ourselves at the 3 day and 6 day points and will avoid contact with anyone else until we get two negatives. A single box (each box comes with two tests) costs $23.99 plus tax at Walgreens.

(Yes, we are both fully vaccinated. And all the events we will be attending are outside, with masks.)
Good news. First test results are negative. Tested ~84 hours after our last potential exposure and ~132 hours after our first. By potential, I mean only that we were talking in close proximity for a prolonged period of time with a large number of people whom we had not seen in years. And they traveled from all over the country to be there. Also, we did eat dinner indoors with a small group (all vaccinated).

Is there an argument for getting Covid sooner rather than later as we are younger? I’ve actually thought about this but certainly haven’t acted upon it yet.

Well, seems as though plenty of people have had it multiple times so no guarantees there. Plus, I am more concerned about long term effects that we may not see (or foresee) many years down the road. Remember chicken pox? Usually not a bad deal. Shingles? Can be a really bad deal that doesn't show itself for many years after having chicken pox.

Sam's Club apparently is selling the Binox test for $14 for a package of two. Online from what I saw.

Alas, there are no Sam's Club in my area. I live in Costco country.

Good pointer at a good price. Out of stock, though.

Attachments

• outofstockbinaxnow.jpg
    outofstockbinaxnow.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 30
Well, seems as though plenty of people have had it multiple times so no guarantees there. Plus, I am more concerned about long term effects that we may not see (or foresee) many years down the road. Remember chicken pox? Usually not a bad deal. Shingles? Can be a really bad deal that doesn't show itself for many years after having chicken pox.

Lots of people have had multiple times? I'm not seeing that info anywhere...

Neither am I though it does happen.

When the UK opened up vaccines to 16 and 17 year olds I saw an interview with a girl and her mother and the girl was dead keen to get a vaccine as she had had Covid twice. On a search I just did I saw that approx 16,000 people in the UK had had Covid twice, but the site is behind a firewall unfortunately so I could not see any details. However, 16k out of 3.7m confirmed Covid cases in the UK is incredibly small.

Sam's Club apparently is selling the Binox test for $14 for a package of two. Online from what I saw.

Alas, there are no Sam's Club in my area. I live in Costco country.
I was able to snag a few from CVS online. They were $24/box for one box but I ordered 6 for $20 Ea. I got two each for us, DS, and DD. They are out of stock once again.

Well, I said "plenty" and not "lots", but of course both are subjective. ;) The CDC says it's "rare"...but here is a fairly recent article and the CDC study:

Reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 has been documented, but the scientific understanding of natural infection-derived immunity is still emerging (5). The duration of immunity resulting from natural infection, although not well understood, is suspected to persist for ≥90 days in most persons.

https://abc7news.com/covid-immunity...d-twice-as-likely-to-get-reinfected/10936598/

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7032e1.htm

And then you have to split-out true reinfection from waxing symptoms in long Covid, which can present with symptoms, go away, and come back with veracity of a new case. I don't have the numbers, but compared to vaccine "breakthrough" cases, which is obvious super prevalent, true reinfection is exceedingly rare. It's got to last way longer than 90 days, since the early cases are 18 months old.

Back
Top Bottom