How I Got Covid by Letting My Guard Down Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're joining the "club"

Looks like COVID has visited our household. After 8 high risk indoor sporting events, it is likely DW contracted it on our last game, the game that our team got eliminated from the playoffs. This game had a lot of motivated fans visiting from NY, which has a high surge of Covid. After paying $300 for a ticket and traveling, they would likely attend no matter how they feel. It is also possible DW got it somewhere else too, such a store or church office. DW is 4x vaxxed and always wears a mask. She triple masked the hockey games. About 5% of the fans wore one.

Her story is interesting, and if you can bear with me, it is worth a read:
- currently no symptoms
- high risk activity on Monday night
- accurate PCR negative test on Friday (Day 4, exactly 92 hours after suspected exposure)
- accurate PCR positive test on Saturday (Day 5, exactly 116 hours after suspected exposure)
- Friday test negative, Saturday test positive. Day 4 negative, day 5 positive but asymptomatic.
- Home test on Saturday negative

What's interesting about DW is she went to the county site 2 days in a row to get the official PCR test. I told her she's over-doing it. Turns out she wasn't. The reason she did so much testing was she visited friends on Saturday and wanted to be sure not to infect them. Today (Sunday) she was supposed to visit her niece. DW is the most considerate person I know so she wanted to be absolutely sure. Hence all the testing.

So far, no symptoms for her. Is it a false positive? We're not taking that chance. I'll get tested tomorrow, and if positive, we'll know she has it. If I'm negative, she'll test again on Tuesday. Her friends are monitoring. If DW has it, her case will be a study in early, asymptomatic spread.

As for me, I swear I feel a little headachy and have some ringing in my ears. Maybe it is my imagination. We'll see how today goes and I get a PCR test tomorrow. I'm not burning a home test yet since DW's experience proved they are not reliable in early detection.

Last edited:
I hope she doesn't have too bad a case of it.

DH and DS (who lives with us) both tested positive today. DH's symptoms started last night. DS had some minor congestion starting a few days ago which he thought was nothing. Both are fully vaccinated and boosted. DH is double boosted (last was 4/1) and DS has had a single boost (he is in his 20s and only recently was eligible for a first booster).

Anyway, I tested and was negative and have no symptoms. But I will not be shocked if I come down with it even though we are now isolating as much as possible.
So far her case is milder than mine, and other than day 0 mine hasn’t been bad all considered. It’s not the symptoms, it’s the isolation measures that are annoying IME.

We’re done with indoor crowds for now larger than shopping. We do have some theater tickets coming up, we plan to go but we’ll stay masked the entire time. Sports, concerts and the like are out for us. Having life disrupted for 5 days isolation isn’t worth the risk.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how many folks have tried to get the early treatments once they have tested positive. Even though the symptoms can start out mild, IIRC from earlier in the pandemic, things could take a sudden turn to severe a week or so in. Or have things changed as the variants have changed?

I'm curious as to how many folks have tried to get the early treatments once they have tested positive. Even though the symptoms can start out mild, IIRC from earlier in the pandemic, things could take a sudden turn to severe a week or so in. Or have things changed as the variants have changed?
Right or wrong, because our symptoms were pretty mild (flu is worse) our PCP recommended against early treatments as there are side effects associated with them. I assume she might have recommended treatment if our conditions had been (much) worse. Unfortunately there are still unknowns with Covid and pre/post treatments.

A related aside, I posted our situation on nextdoor as a caution to neighbors who may have let their guards down too much - and the misinformation regarding Covid and folklore treatments was disheartening. Everyone is an expert these days...

Last edited:
Yup. Everyone on the internet is an expert on everything.

So far her case is milder than mine, and other than day 0 mine hasn’t been bad all considered. It’s not the symptoms, it’s the isolation measures that are annoying IME.

Me, too. What is hard is the isolation within our house. I have DH in his study except when sleeping and DS in his room. Cats and I get the rest of the house. At night DH sleeps in the recliner in the common area of the house (since we have no other spare bedroom) and we shut the cats away from that area at night.

I'm curious as to how many folks have tried to get the early treatments once they have tested positive.

DH took his at home Covid test yesterday morning and was immediately positive as was DS. DS is young and very mild symptoms. DH has had more symptoms. Yesterday morning he had chills (which is what caused me to suggest he test) and since he has had URI symptoms and some fever (102 at highest). He feels tired, but not awful. Anyway, he went to CVS today and started Paxlovid. He actually hadn't heard of it, but I had. You need to start it within 5 days of symptoms starting (his started Friday evening). DH is fully vaxxed and double boosted so is at low risk overall, but he is 74 so we felt it was prudent to do the Paxlovid.

Exactly the same as us. We thought DW had escaped, but obviously I infected her before I tested positive.

OTOH. I carpooled with two of my golf buds 4 days after my exposure (3 day before symptoms), almost an hour each way - and neither of them have come down with Covid, now 11 days later. Thank goodness.

Obviously we’re all carriers, exposing others, days before we know we’re positive…
I'm not certain on the "days before we know we are positive" part of it I wish we had better data on that. Even isolating you can't be certain there was no exposure at all. Omicron is supposed to have a shorter incubation time.

Looks like COVID has visited our household. After 8 high risk indoor sporting events, it is likely DW contracted it on our last game, the game that our team got eliminated from the playoffs. This game had a lot of motivated fans visiting from NY, which has a high surge of Covid. After paying $300 for a ticket and traveling, they would likely attend no matter how they feel. It is also possible DW got it somewhere else too, such a store or church office. DW is 4x vaxxed and always wears a mask. She triple masked the hockey games. About 5% of the fans wore one.

Her story is interesting, and if you can bear with me, it is worth a read:
- currently no symptoms
- high risk activity on Monday night
- accurate PCR negative test on Friday (Day 4, exactly 92 hours after suspected exposure)
- accurate PCR positive test on Saturday (Day 5, exactly 116 hours after suspected exposure)
- Friday test negative, Saturday test positive. Day 4 negative, day 5 positive but asymptomatic.
- Home test on Saturday negative

What's interesting about DW is she went to the county site 2 days in a row to get the official PCR test. I told her she's over-doing it. Turns out she wasn't. The reason she did so much testing was she visited friends on Saturday and wanted to be sure not to infect them. Today (Sunday) she was supposed to visit her niece. DW is the most considerate person I know so she wanted to be absolutely sure. Hence all the testing.

So far, no symptoms for her. Is it a false positive? We're not taking that chance. I'll get tested tomorrow, and if positive, we'll know she has it. If I'm negative, she'll test again on Tuesday. Her friends are monitoring. If DW has it, her case will be a study in early, asymptomatic spread.

As for me, I swear I feel a little headachy and have some ringing in my ears. Maybe it is my imagination. We'll see how today goes and I get a PCR test tomorrow. I'm not burning a home test yet since DW's experience proved they are not reliable in early detection.
This whole narrative makes me want to bang my head against a wall,you feel liken what good are the tests since they inconsistent, what good are masks since 3 (this is the first time I have heard of wearing 3) don't do the job. And technically you testing positive doesn't have to mean you got from her, maybe she gave it you. Did I mention my head is spinning it seems like no choice is the correct choice. I hope you both stay well!

A friend just tested positive last night at a walk in clinic after several negative rapid tests at home in the prior week. Their doctor said the rapid tests are only picking up about 25% of the cases. So now we know how valuable a “free” test is. They ended up at the clinic after encountering a high fever.

I'm not burning a home test yet since DW's experience proved they are not reliable in early detection.
+1 Like you, I am not certain that the tests are as reliable as many assume they are. Also, I have no need/desire to get exposure to other people and their germs. I have been staying at home most of the time and hoping this latest wave is over before too long.
Unfortunately there are still unknowns with Covid and pre/post treatments.
+1, and also as far as I can tell, there seem to be a lot of other unknowns about Covid.

As far as burning a test, you can order more. We just got 8 more tests in Friday. We used up all of our original shipment in the last month.

As far as burning a test, you can order more. We just got 8 more tests in Friday. We used up all of our original shipment in the last month.

But I thought you said they aren't accurate:D I don't know what to believe a false negative is not a good thing.

But I thought you said they aren't accurate:D I don't know what to believe a false negative is not a good thing.
That was probably me. I haven't even bothered to get any of the free home tests. Yes, I'm a skeptical old hag. :LOL:

We ordered the tests about a week ago. The information regarding accuracy came about today. So we have them, I just won’t trust them. My comment was in regard to folks not wanting to “burn” a test.

That was probably me. I haven't even bothered to get any of the free home tests. Yes, I'm a skeptical old hag. :LOL:

No It was cocheesehead who guessed they were 25% accurate..

Wrong. You didn’t read the post correctly. The doctor at the walk-in clinic said they are 25% accurate.
Right you got from it another source...I didn't think you pulled it from thin air. I just included you as part of your "we" comment. The important thing is the 25% that seems way too high for comfort. But I guess if we don't trust the test that's a problem...

Last edited:
Right you got from it another source...I didn't think you pulled it from thin air. I just included you as part of your "we" comment. The important thing is the 25% that seems way too high for comfort. But I guess if we don't trust the test that's a problem...

There should be no guessing. I stated the source. Stop twisting what posted.

Anyway, he went to CVS today and started Paxlovid.

If you don't mind, can you please explain a little how the process worked at CVS? Did he make an appointment and/or call & tell someone about his self-test? Did they provide Paxlovid without a prescription based on his self-test, or do a test themselves? I've been wondering about this & want to be prepared.

A friend just tested positive last night at a walk in clinic after several negative rapid tests at home in the prior week. Their doctor said the rapid tests are only picking up about 25% of the cases. So now we know how valuable a “free” test is. They ended up at the clinic after encountering a high fever.

Did your friend get Paxlovid at the clinic?

There should be no guessing. I stated the source. Stop twisting what posted.

We seem to have crossed wires here...if you were not saying that you personally don't really trust the test you have my apology. As per your friend and his testing experience... I'm not trying to twist anything.. No need to continue at this point.

Last edited:

That's a time sensitive med so a false negative could impact if you can get the drug in a timely manner.

What have we learned? Masks don't work, vaccines are down to negative efficacy against cases, and declining protection against hosp/death. Yet people keep doubling down with things that don't work. To each their own.

If you don't mind, can you please explain a little how the process worked at CVS? Did he make an appointment and/or call & tell someone about his self-test? Did they provide Paxlovid without a prescription based on his self-test, or do a test themselves? I've been wondering about this & want to be prepared.

That's a time sensitive med so a false negative could impact if you can get the drug in a timely manner.

I saw a video where doctors envisioned doing telemedicine and prescribing Paxlovid based on that.

They didn't want you to come into their offices when you were infectious.

Presumably they would screen Paxlovid against your other prescriptions.

I don't even know if I could necessarily get a quick PCR test in my area unless I pay out of pocket at these "urgent care" clinics.

Insurance often pays for emergencies without requiring that you met your deductible. Not sure if they're still treating Covid testing that way, not requiring you to meet deductible but paying for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom