This weather is awful - 2024 to ?

The past ~10 days has been a wild weather ride in many parts of Texas, including where I live. We've had numerous tornado watches/warnings. One or two tornados passed within ~15 miles of my house. We had temperature range from the upper 40's to mid 80's, winds in the mid 40mph range (a couple of times) and between 15 and 20" of rain. All the rivers and streams around here are over flowing (flood stages) some of the secondary roads have been closed due to erosion and we've had several power outages. Also a few unusually heavy fog days. Rough spring in Texas!

Cloudy and heading to a high of 66 today. Then sun and in the mid 80's this weekend!
A bit early for that high temp. Pup is getting his first summer shave on Friday.

The past ~10 days has been a wild weather ride in many parts of Texas, including where I live. We've had numerous tornado watches/warnings. One or two tornados passed within ~15 miles of my house. We had temperature range from the upper 40's to mid 80's, winds in the mid 40mph range (a couple of times) and between 15 and 20" of rain. All the rivers and streams around here are over flowing (flood stages) some of the secondary roads have been closed due to erosion and we've had several power outages. Also a few unusually heavy fog days. Rough spring in Texas!
Good grief!

It’s heating up here already. We could certainly use some rain.

OMG, here we go again...

1715300434699.gif

That does look scary. Hunker down and take care. Let us know how you and yours fare once it's all over. Blessings

Looks bad:(
How far north of the Woodlands are you? because it looks like you are getting it now, or just north of you.

These storms have just been never ending.

Except not here - dry and hot. We hit 108 today. Fortunately it’s supposed to settle back into the 90s for a while.

How far north of the Woodlands are you? because it looks like you are getting it now, or just north of you.

These storms have just been never ending.

Except not here - dry and hot. We hit 108 today. Fortunately it’s supposed to settle back into the 90s for a while.
Roughly 10 miles due northeast of The Woodlands. I'm still in Montgomery County. Pretty safe from all the bad storms from Huntsville on North.

only 15 miles:confused: that's not even a scratch

We had one that was maybe 1/4 mile up our road!!! Weather service said it just fell short of a cat 2. It took out houses, barns, and trees for a couple of miles before lifting. It was at night, but if I had been outside rather than hunkered down I'm sure I would have seen it. (BTW, no sirens here as we're too "out in the country", nearest is probably about a mile plus away so too far away for notification.)

only 15 miles:confused: that's not even a scratch

We had one that was maybe 1/4 mile up our road!!! Weather service said it just fell short of a cat 2. It took out houses, barns, and trees for a couple of miles before lifting. It was at night, but if I had been outside rather than hunkered down I'm sure I would have seen it. (BTW, no sirens here as we're too "out in the country", nearest is probably about a mile plus away so too far away for notification.)
Get a NWS/NOAA weather alert radio... I have two and they work great. BTW, tornadoes are rated F0 through F5 (Hurricanes are Cat 1 through Cat 5);)

FWIW, I've personally seen the damage that F2 and F3 Tornados can cause. F2's are bad, F3's are devastating! My storm shelter is rated for up to an F3. I can't imagine a F4 or F5.

Last edited:
Get a NWS/NOAA weather alert radio... I have two and they work great. BTW, tornadoes are rated F0 through F5 (Hurricanes are Cat 1 through Cat 5);)

FWIW, I've personally seen the damage that F2 and F3 Tornados can cause. F2's are bad, F3's are devastating! My storm shelter is rated for up to an F3. I can't imagine a F4 or F5.
It was noted as just short of a 2

I've seen what a 4 does, when it destroyed a lot of brick homes in OH, and saw what another 4 did in 2011 in Missouri, as it took out part of the airport. We saw the sky turn a bit greenish and knew that we had to be alert; the tornados were rain cloaked but were popping up everywhere that day... kinda of a nervous day then, so I know what it's like when they are out there.

Last edited:
In a spell of hot weather for this time of year, expecting 84 today and that is normally mid to late summer temp! DH took the cover off the AC unit in case we want to turn it on. Cools down at night, so windows open keeps the house pretty nice.
Saw the northern lights from our back deck late last night. Fantastic!

An F3 missed our house by a couple of miles in 2015. Only tree damage and no power for a week at our place. Several friends lost their homes. I brought some building materials to shore up a friends house, but I couldn’t tell where the streets were. Had to carry materials to his place.

I was trapped in an elevator with my boss during the 1990 Plainfield Illinois F5. The building we were in survived since we were on the edge, but I remember hearing the twister beating up the building. After stuck for about an hour in the elevator, we pried the door open and climbed out. The whole area was in chaos like something you’d see in a movie. Took several years for the area to rebuild.

It's supposed to start raining (possibly a lot!) in about 4-5 hours, and continue to rain all day tomorrow and all night tomorrow night. We have a flood watch in place, already, from tonight through tomorrow night.

⛈️☔⛈️

Frank and I will be fine as long as we stay home. I'm not going anywhere, but who knows, he might. I'll suggest to him that he would be better off at home, and that might (or might not) influence his decision. :rolleyes: ?

We got a "ton" more rain today. (4 to 5 inches) More lighting but very little wind. My ponds over flowed several days ago so they continue to be "topped"out. The fields are even starting to show standing water in a few places which is something I haven't seen but once or twice since we have live here.

• Wow
Reactions: W2R
We got a "ton" more rain today. (4 to 5 inches) More lighting but very little wind. My ponds over flowed several days ago so they continue to be "topped"out. The fields are even starting to show standing water in a few places which is something I haven't seen but once or twice since we have live here.
That's a lot of rain, Car-Guy! I'll be thinking of you and Aja8888 and hoping you two don't get too soaked before this storm moves on.

Here, it isn't raining yet and much of the storm seems to be passing us to the north. We're supposed to get substantial rain tomorrow and especially tomorrow night. At this point, who knows? :LOL:

Last edited:
^^^^^
Good luck... The weather around here has been crazy for weeks.

Not even one drop of rain here, yet. We decided the dire forecast, flood warnings, and so on, are just a lot of hogwash today, at least for our neighborhood. :rolleyes:

Shelter in place, storm blowing through here in east Bexar County, TX. Rain, hail, thunder lightning, very dark. No tornados so far?

• Wow
Back
Top Bottom