If you were self-isolating ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW and I cleared our outside schedule for the next three weeks. We are both retired introverts. I stopped my Dr. facility TKR rehab and will work out at home (I was at the last two sessions anyway and already had the post op Dr. visit), DW stocked up on enough supplies so we don't have to go to the store for 3 weeks. and DW is considering cancelling her regular therapeutic massage next week (that's a difficult choice for her). So we are on our new get up late schedule, watch TV in bed, do whatever during the day, and have a late dinner, then go to bed. Our goal is not to contribute to the negative issues going on in the outside world.

I'm not intentionally self-isolating, but it's happening anyway. Classes are cancelled. Church group is cancelled. Book clubs are cancelled. Events around town are cancelled.

I guess I'll just hole up and enjoy myself. I'm glad I'm an introvert.

I just had an operation that put me in bed for three days. I live on 1 acre, have a garden and a yard and a heated shed. LOTS of things to do, PLUS, I am at an age where I enjoy quiet, so NO problem for me.

I'm not intentionally self-isolating, but it's happening anyway. Classes are cancelled. Church group is cancelled. Book clubs are cancelled. Events around town are cancelled.

I guess I'll just hole up and enjoy myself. I'm glad I'm an introvert.

I have heard my mother say many times, "I don't mind being alone, I am comfortable in my own skin."

I'm an introvert with solar panels and several weeks of food.View attachment 34116 20200312_171916.jpeg

I’m having bunion surgery in April. Other than a trip to the dr, I’m not leaving the house/workshop/yard for April through at least the end of May. Little bit of surgery recovery and Plenty of woodworking and yard projects to work on.

Splendid Isolation - Warren Zevon

I dont need no one.
I want to live alone in the desert.

Germs dont last @ 120 degrees

Pretty easy for me. I would just not go to the fitness center for 30 minutes 3 times a week, skip church, and some weeks I might go out to lunch with friends. So in two weeks maybe an extra 10 hours or so to do something I'm not already doing. Sounds like a few extra naps and another book should take care of my home lock down.

Attack my piles

I’d see if I can make a big dent in the piles of Sun and The Atlantic magazines I have not read, answer questions on this forum, swim and finish reading several books that I seem to have put down right in the middle.

My wife wants a greenhouse, and we have agreed on the building plans, so several trips to Lowes would be in my future. I also have a woodstove, so firewood processing would happen, and I would organize, and build shop walls in my small (40x60) barn.

My DW would go through her closet, and the attic in an attempt to declutter after having 2 kids in the house for so many years. She would also be going full blast on her garden/greenhouse, and fixing up nesting boxes for our chickens.

I’d see if I can make a big dent in the piles of Sun and The Atlantic magazines I have not read, answer questions on this forum, swim and finish reading several books that I seem to have put down right in the middle.
And if that doesn't do it, subscribe to the Economist and read it cover to cover.

We are on day two of isolating, as spouse returned thursday morning from an international trip. Started a compost pile, and hope to stain the decks or paint some rooms. Have to make a point of keeping busy so we dont get sucked into watching too many updates and get more fearful. We prepared earlier and are very grateful to be able to be together while waiting this out.

Coincidentally and completely unrelated, we have an appointment later in the month with an Elder/estate lawyer to work on our wills and the best way to manage our estate. We'll go to that even if things get worse. Just no hand shaking.

Got a call from the lawyer's office today. They're implementing Zoom teleconferencing next week, and want us to be their first testers. I told them we need a run through on Monday, and if it doesn't work we can still go to the office for the Thursday appointment. I don't think lawyers have the same skepticism for new software implementation that old network engineers do. They actually assume it's going to work as described, first time. Ah, the innocence.

Spend as much time outside as possible, surrounded by nature.
Develop a new practice or hobby that I look forward to.

We're on day 5 of isolating. Yesterday was a 5 hour kayak trip with 3 dolphins, manatees, and peanut butter sandwiches on an uninhabited spoil island near our home. Writing this reminds me that things are not all bad. Thank goodness, because the covid news today felt overwhelming.

I'd just go to my RV that's in the Blue Ridge Mountains and drive thru the countryside doing day trips. Not any crowds or people up there this time of the year. Just bears coming through our campsite every night looking for food.

Actually, for us things won't change all that much. We did have to cancel our our travel plans for the year as I do not expect this to be over until every person on the planet has been infected. What the social distancing does is to slow down the transmission. It will not stop it completely. The slowdown is important as resources to treat the sick are finite and easily over-burdened. This is the problem in Italy and Iran where there was too long a delay in recognizing that the dissemination had already happened. The US will be in the same situation, especially as testing is so abysmal.

Anyway, I will mostly stay at home like usual doing gardening, work on computers, and write. I also workout 2 hours a day and usually go on a long bike ride or 10 km Nordic hike in our local forests. I very rarely pass anyone in the forests. I also have a sailboat and go sailing alone every day for 3-6 hours and again very rarely encounter anyone at the marina. Our only potential for exposure is through our gardener who has several grandchildren so will get exposed as soon as it starts making the rounds through relatively unaffected children. That only leaves grocery shopping which is the only time we really come in contact with people. We have very limited social connections and are mostly private people.

+2 We decided to skip buying groceries for the next few weeks in order to replenish hurricane supplies by preparing everything from our pantry/ frg/frzr. We've not had to use any of those since hurricane Harvey hit us, so we can now eat things that are closest to being out of date.

We shop what we have from time to time so that I always have enough to feed us for a month or more. I call them our Pu pu platters (because what
and inn one meal we might be eating Greek, Ital, Mex foods. Today we'll be eating from our accumulated not canned fruit &veg along with some hot wings. We don't need to eat my dry beans, rice, a variety of noodles yet, but those alone might be boring, but we would make it prob. 3-4 mos worth. Oh and here's a bonus- I had forgotten about some strawberry Rhubarb empanades (little pies) I'd made in Jan that we are eating tonight & tom'w for dessert. So sad, we must eat pie! :dance:

What a great series! We were so sad that it wasn't continued... :blush:[/QUOTE]

They did make a movie that somewhat wrapped it up.

Got a call from the lawyer's office today. They're implementing Zoom teleconferencing next week, and want us to be their first testers. I told them we need a run through on Monday, and if it doesn't work we can still go to the office for the Thursday appointment. I don't think lawyers have the same skepticism for new software implementation that old network engineers do. They actually assume it's going to work as described, first time. Ah, the innocence.

It's relatively painless. I used it in a couple of my college classes last week (I gave students the option to be in the room or remote). You can share/not share video, audio, specific apps from your system. Apps for phone and tablet, desktop and web interface. You can do things like call in from phone (for audio) if your system doesn't have a microphone.

In a strange way it brings me back to mega-corp days where we would do remote demos for customers. I also have a "teleconference" number (e.g. 800/888# w/passcode) which we would use frequently to tie people into discussions.

If anyone needs a free conferencing service, Uberconference is also pretty good. I've used it for work more than a few times.

It's relatively painless. I used it in a couple of my college classes last week (I gave students the option to be in the room or remote). You can share/not share video, audio, specific apps from your system. Apps for phone and tablet, desktop and web interface. You can do things like call in from phone (for audio) if your system doesn't have a microphone.

In a strange way it brings me back to mega-corp days where we would do remote demos for customers. I also have a "teleconference" number (e.g. 800/888# w/passcode) which we would use frequently to tie people into discussions.

I'm sure it's a good product, I was just commenting on their expectation that it would work the first time, out of the box. I don't want to waste my appointment on debugging, so requested a run through first.

All good here -- 3 introverts.

College DD (on spring break) is organizing her room. Finishing assignments. And gaming.

DH is getting over a cold; he's been happy watching TV, reading books, and taking naps.

I've been surfing the internet, knitting, and taking the dog for short walks. (plus the extra naps).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom