If you were self-isolating ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I expect all services to still be operational. Utilities, garbage collection, INTERNET.
So business as usual, clean out the pantry and freezer. Hope the neighbors are all self sufficent and don't get greedy.

My wife and I live just over the border from northern Italy. There are 68,500 daily cross border commuters into our canton of Ticino; mostly italians who work in hotels, restaurants, shops, and hospitals/clinics. Switzerland still hasn't closed the border for mostly economic reasons: our canton economy is tightly linked with that of Lombardy and its major city, Milan.

But as of now, we are being asked to stay at home, not to socialize or go to bars, restaurants, etc. Schools are closed. A major music festival that occurs every July is now cancelled. Universities are closed. No performances of any sort, no movie theaters open, etc. etc.

There are more than a hundred cases here and three deaths so far. So, my wife and I are staying at home, reading, listening to music, taking walks along the lake and avoiding people. We are washing our hands raw these days. My wife is especially prone to cabin fever, me not so much. I find that I can spend hours online without flagging interest. But our city seems a bit ghostly these days. We are all sure that we will be in the same boat as Italy in the next week or 10 days.

I am in the over 60 demographic with asthma, so my wife is freaking out a bit.

-BB

Last edited:
With all of the INTJ/ISTJ folks on this forum, self-isolation would not be an issue for most forum members. :D

I have plenty to keep myself busy. We have enough land so that both inside and outside activities could be done without impacting others. My biggest "fear" would be the potential weight gain.

As an INTP-A, I would go to my camp. Miles from civilization and in a forest. Peace, quiet and harmony. The heck with the rest of the world.

As an INTP-A, I would go to my camp. Miles from civilization and in a forest. Peace, quiet and harmony. The heck with the rest of the world.

... but it takes 2 to tango.

... but it takes 2 to tango.
No pairs Tango in self Isolation. BUT, can make a stick figure with pretty face photo, and pretend:D

We have been staying home except for errands like groceries and gas in the off hours. We're deciding today if we should continue with grocery shopping or go to something like Instacart.

The weather here has been pretty nice and we have lots of open space and trails, and a large state park. close by. House cleaning, house projects, streaming with Amazon Prime, Kanopy from the library, online forums, books, walking the dog, cooking, yoga, decluttering, and a little online shopping keep me busy. Mostly I've been researching how to build up my immune system so if we do get sick we can try to be in the milder case category.

"Self-isolation" is inaccurate considering all of the demands I make on my environment in order to hibernate in comfort:
• clean water
• clean food
• clean air
• sanitation
• secure shelter
• body repair services (i.e., medical care, as needed)
• shelter repair services (as needed)
• equipment repair services (as needed)
• electricity
• internet
• cell phone service
• 35-year-old supermodel

So far, most of my demands are being met. :)

Last edited:
Walmart has a good grocery pick up service, I use it a lot. No charge if you meet the $30 minimum. $10 off for first time users. I highly recommend.

My wife and I live just over the border from northern Italy. There are 68,500 daily cross border commuters into our canton of Ticino; mostly italians who work in hotels, restaurants, shops, and hospitals/clinics. Switzerland still hasn't closed the border for mostly economic reasons: our canton economy is tightly linked with that of Lombardy and its major city, Milan.

But as of now, we are being asked to stay at home, not to socialize or go to bars, restaurants, etc. Schools are closed. A major music festival that occurs every July is now cancelled. Universities are closed. No performances of any sort, no movie theaters open, etc. etc.

There are more than a hundred cases here and three deaths so far. So, my wife and I are staying at home, reading, listening to music, taking walks along the lake and avoiding people. We are washing our hands raw these days. My wife is especially prone to cabin fever, me not so much. I find that I can spend hours online without flagging interest. But our city seems a bit ghostly these days. We are all sure that we will be in the same boat as Italy in the next week or 10 days.

I am in the over 60 demographic with asthma, so my wife is freaking out a bit.

-BB

Gretzi my bil has a place in ticino . zurich Street parade is crazy. I am not worried that switzerland will have any problem.

for two weeks, what would you do? Is there a homebound goal you need to accomplish? I'd get my garden started and work on a lot of computer/tech stuff I need to master.

I would organize my pictures, read a bunch of books, knock out all the free tasks on my honey-do, wash the windows since spring is here, blow off the screens, sweep the garage, mop the floors, clean the carpets, clean up the wood pile a bit, organize the garage and all the inside drawers, go through my clothes, take down the xmas lights (snow finally melted on deck), update the photo frame, continue posting here, run out the snowblower and top off the oil, replace my air filters in the vehicles and rotate tires since I have those supplies, watch some movies if I had time...

Can I get 3 weeks of quarantine, 2 isn't enough time :rolleyes:

I hope I’d be disciplined enough to use the time to piece together two tee shirt blankets for family members and finally organize and scan tons of family photos. Competition for these projects is binge watching TV, online books and solitaire and this forum.

We are self isolating, to a large extent. Of course, it's not that much of a change, except less going to stores and not at all to restaurants.

Since I'm over 60, have coronary issues, and had diabetes before I went low carb/IF, I figure I'm on borrowed time. So I'm going to spend some time getting my death letter documentation better organized so DW would have something to use just in case. Coincidentally and completely unrelated, we have an appointment later in the month with an Elder/estate lawyer to work on our wills and the best way to manage our estate. We'll go to that even if things get worse. Just no hand shaking.

Other than that, same old same old. We work around the house and garden, hang out on the back porch, and take walks in the neighborhood. I might go back out to the swamp for a hike, as the gators tend to self isolate too. And we're going to stay in FL for awhile longer to avoid dealing with the hotels and such on the trip home. It's a nice place to be stuck.

We plan on organizing the shed. Buckets of random screws they need to be sized. Get rid of some old tools. Do yard work!
Too bad already for the taxes done. I was in tax quarantine for a week already this year.
Read the news and pray for folks afflicted by the virus.
We also plan on riding bikes on the greenway much more often. Don’t have to go out unless we want to. Have plenty of food and good company!

Oh yeah. Taxes. I guess I'll make time to do those too.

Yesterday I purchased $12,000 worth of rock.

Stone wall material actually. 500 square feet of wall with columns and cap stone. I've been procrastinating the landscaping around our home since we built it 14 years ago. I started with planting a bunch of trees and such back then and they've taken off nicely, I put in driveways and parking pad, a small front yard, but I have 5 acres and really wanted to finish off the acre immediately around the house. According to the invoice, it's a little under 60,000 pounds of stone. I already positioned 20 yards of gravel base and top soil to shape and prep the footing for this wall. I don't know what a yard of gravel or dirt weighs but somewhere between 2 and 3 thousand pounds. Took me a week to move that pile to where it needs to go, so I should have my wall built in a week or less. I gotta admit, working a shovel is pretty satisfying. Add to that, this is an investment that is a hedge against the current market swings as well.

I plan to dig a huge hole in the back yard, then fill it in. Then dig it out.

I should be OK w*rking from home full time, watching Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/Plex and doing crosswords in my spare time, and using the elliptical to keep from devolving into a blob. If I get cabin fever, I can always go to the barn, it's a big enough place that you can keep from getting within 6 feet of anyone pretty easily.

And now, since I have this earworm after reading this thread, you should have it, too (if you've seen the movie, skip to 0:39 to get to the song):

I already started.
1. Taxes
2. Go through all clothes and donate.
3. Take everything out of the garage, clean, paint, donate.
4. Gardening
5. Paint an accent wall in the dining room.
6. Maybe get out World of Warcraft or catch up on some binge watching.
7. Read the stack of books in my Kindle.
And of course, I had a leak, so they just tore out 1/3 of my kitchen. They better hurry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom