If you were self-isolating ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
for two weeks, what would you do? Is there a homebound goal you need to accomplish? I'd get my garden started and work on a lot of computer/tech stuff I need to master.

I would post on ER forums, trade stocks, watch Netflix...pretty much what I do now.

Get the garden ready, brew, reload, cook, organize the garage. If I get stir crazy I could make a run to a remote place in the national Forest to go shooting.

Read. Listen to music. Write, journal. Organize files etc. Do some spring cleaning (throw stuff out, simplify). Take lots of trips to parks. Take lots of walks. Ride my bike. Feed the birds and squirrels. Am I allowed to talk to my dog? I hope so. (I do all of this already.)

I'd also find a way to take a little mini-retreat. My life in retirement is mostly a retreat already, but I mean getting away, having a change of scene, and retreating to a mountain cabin or something like that. A place that inspires you to step back, take a fresh look, reassess how your life is going, where you want it to go, what you want to change, etc.

Last edited:
I would say I don't get out a lot, I do walk daily, and occasionally will see a neighbor and talk a bit, I see my next door neighbor on Mondays, he works a weird shift and is off on Monday. I do a 2 hr breakfast with the boys twice a week. Right now, I'm concentrating on my Keto diet (I'm logging all my food until I get a good feel for what to eat), logging my Ketone level and Glucose and exercising. I also joined Planet Fitness so go there, but not much interaction there, whether my fault or not.
I spend a lot time on retirement groups, Youtube, electronics design sites and anything science related.
I don't know that I want much more. Maybe a steak tonight!

Plot the takeover of the world, so you better hope it doesn't happen! ;)

Seriously, much of the same. Maybe work on the front yard garden bed that the house builder just threw out there for our purchase last May. Set up and calibrate our stereo setup in the game room upstairs (family room is vinyl plank flooring over slab, not the most conducive for audio quality, particularly with bass response).

Get the garden ready, brew, reload, cook, organize the garage. If I get stir crazy I could make a run to a remote place in the national Forest to go shooting.
As someone who lives in a remote place surrounded by the national forest, I don't think you would be very isolated. Seems a lot of folks have that idea.

For 2 weeks just means I would skip going to church one week.

As someone who lives in a remote place surrounded by the national forest, I don't think you would be very isolated. Seems a lot of folks have that idea.

For 2 weeks just means I would skip going to church one week.

I have my spots.

I would skip grocery shopping for a week. Really, this is what retirement is all about as far as I'm concerned. So I could self-isolate.

Last edited:
Yeah, I only get out and socialize once or twice a week, on average (I'm not counting small little contacts, like saying hi to people on walks or bike trails or while grocery shopping). It wouldn't be a major change.

I self-isolate most of the time already.

I've sort of morphed into staying at home most of the week these days. People often ask me "Where have you been? We never see you!"

I do get exercise outdoors. I also go to a small yoga class twice a week. That seems to be enough socializing for me - that and facebook with family.

I often go for over a week without grocery shopping.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go to the grocery store for a week and be eating beans and rice. Perhaps people wouldn't want to be around me?

We live at the edge of a national forest so I can walk there and probably see the same people as walk in our neighborhood. If I go north it's going to be more isolated but I'm not sure if that buys much. Can't go too far as the roads end, some won't be open until May. Going other directions just takes you to more towns and people; no sense in making new friends in what could be a apocalyptic movie. [emoji4] Seems like I've seen this one before.

Plenty of ammo for shooting if it's nice out. Most lakes are still frozen but the rivers are open, maybe too open for good fishing with spring melt.

Last edited:
I would go nuts if I had to stay inside for a couple of weeks. That's not my style.

Every day I leave the house between 6 - 7 AM (after walking the dog) and meet with some friends for coffee and breakfast for an hour or more. It would be hard to give that up.

Then the rest of the day is taken up by errands as DW can't drive anymore, and whatever comes up.

If I had to stay put for two weeks, I would probably throw out a good 50% of the stuff we have accumulated over the years. DW is somewhat of a pack rat. I've got too much stuff rat holed here and there and I am part of the problem too.

Here is a 27 minute video showing what I'll be doing, whether stuck at home or not:

Animal Crossing New Horizons trailer

Now, what I SHOULD be doing is decluttering, cleaning out my closets, and so on. But no. I'll be gleefully playing Animal Crossing. I've been waiting eagerly for this game to be released. It's been almost seven years since the last Animal Crossing game.

Two weeks would be no time at all.

If I was isolated for a year, that would bring about cabin fever. But if I had all the internet, TV and food and a gym to use to keep in shape, think that would be doable as long as folks don't come around trying to urge me to break the isolation.

Once with the proper mindset, a year might even be a piece of cake.

I didn’t leave the house for 2 weeks when I had the flu. I was too sick to want to. If I was well it would be horrible.

I'd finish watching Deadwood, work on the solar installation on my campervan, and spend the rest of the time administering regular sub-Q fluids and medication to my sick blind kitty, and generally catering to her every need.

Plenty of things to do!

I would go nuts if I had to stay inside for a couple of weeks. That's not my style.

Every day I leave the house between 6 - 7 AM (after walking the dog) and meet with some friends for coffee and breakfast for an hour or more. It would be hard to give that up.

Then the rest of the day is taken up by errands as DW can't drive anymore, and whatever comes up.

If I had to stay put for two weeks, I would probably throw out a good 50% of the stuff we have accumulated over the years. DW is somewhat of a pack rat. I've got too much stuff rat holed here and there and I am part of the problem too.
You can still go outside and walk the dog.

As someone who spent months at a time isolated from the world (and from sunlight, fresh air and fresh food), I don't think being isolated in my house would be a big problem. I will work in my garden, take walks, post here and do some home projects that I have been too lazy to accomplish in my first 9 months of retirement. I also have thousands of books at my disposal, and I have not yet read all of them.

So.... Is walking the dog self isolation if you live in a neighborhood or walk a more populated location. The bulk of my social life is my daily dog walk at the beach... One of my walk buddies is a "hugger" - hugging the various friends we see each day... I've convinced her to change to being an elbow bumper for the near term. But my point is - even walking the dog is often among other people. (For the record, I'm not a hugger and could keep my 6 foot distance... ) Even in the neighborhood walks - there is usually a neighbor who wants to chat.

As for what I'd do... Probably bingewatch tv, read, and consider (but not do) various chores. Kind of like my normal days.

So.... Is walking the dog self isolation if you live in a neighborhood or walk a more populated location. The bulk of my social life is my daily dog walk at the beach... One of my walk buddies is a "hugger" - hugging the various friends we see each day... I've convinced her to change to being an elbow bumper for the near term. But my point is - even walking the dog is often among other people. (For the record, I'm not a hugger and could keep my 6 foot distance... ) Even in the neighborhood walks - there is usually a neighbor who wants to chat.

As for what I'd do... Probably bingewatch tv, read, and consider (but not do) various chores. Kind of like my normal days.

I was just thinking today if forced to isolate I'd have an easy time finding parking at the beach and go more often! I think as long as you maintain physical distances it should work.
I'd expect to still go for runs and walks as well.

As for the rest, gardening, netflix, and video games. And I have a few rooms left to repaint from a project I started last year.

Maybe a sign will develop, like wearing a certain color, to let people know that you’re keeping your distance for health reasons. Which would be cool so I could walk around and people would just get out of my way like I’m parting the ocean, but the ocean is people. :D But seriously, in isolation, it would be good to do thinks like walk around the neighborhood and let people know that you have a health concern without having to actually say it to anyone.

You can still go outside and walk the dog.

Yes, that's my "chore" because DW is restrained to a walker and can't participate. But it's still like being in prison for me.....the same walks (3 - 4 per day), the same neighborhood, every day, for the last 4+ years. My escape from all of this has been the ability to leave. Walking the little terrier has really been part of the isolation, even though I am outdoors.

I suppose it's not as bad as I am making it sound. Heck, I could be wheelchair bound like a guy I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom