KN95 masks reusable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I bought a few packs of KN95 masks way back in April and have been using those same masks over and over again since. Other than smelling a little "stale", they seem to be holding up really well. But I recently heard something on a podcast that seemed to indicate that these types of masks aren't truly reusable. Apparently their efficacy relies partially on electrostatic filtration, which wears out as one breathes in and out through them over time.

There isn't much available online about this issue, so I was wondering how others are using their low-cost KN95 masks. Do you wear each mask only once and then discard? Do you wear each mask more than once, letting it "rest" for several days in between? Or do you wear the same mask over and over again with no "rest" intervals?

NOTE: I did find this one research study that found both N95 and KN95 masks retain their overall filtration efficiency even after decontamination procedures like being exposed to 70° C heat. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7724761/

No discarding of masks here until the bands break. And that hasn't happened to the high quality masks.

I have a bunch of K95s, had them before the pandemic--I wear one and then put it way to "quarantine" for 7 days and then wear it again. I have a box for each day that I put the used ones in so I know when to bring them out of quarantine.

I put a surgical mask over my KN95 mask and I throw away the surgical mask every time, but not the KN95. I do throw away my KN95 after about 3 trips to a grocery store.

I went snowshoeing with a friend yesterday, and after I was done, my KN95 was soaked in sweat/steam, so I threw it away after just one use as it was kind of gross.

As I cannot visually see the droplets, I don't want to keep on using the same mask for too long. It kind of defeats the purpose of wearing a nice mask, like KN95 if it's full of germs...

I have a bunch of K95s, had them before the pandemic--I wear one and then put it way to "quarantine" for 7 days and then wear it again. I have a box for each day that I put the used ones in so I know when to bring them out of quarantine.

K95 masks are very expensive and hard to come by, so I used to do something similar. Leaving the masks in the car was the way I quarantined them, but it's too cold outside now. KN95 masks are readily available and they're cheaper, so that's what I wear now, and I do throw them away after about 3 trips to a grocery store (20 min x 3, so about after one hour of use). I keep used masks inside the house.

We’re on our second N95’s since COVID began, we wore them daily at first but only once or twice a month now when we’re really uneasy about a space we’re entering. We switched to surgical mask and various cloth masks long ago - we replace them as needed, about monthly. We don’t go out to indoor spaces any more than we have to, but we still use masks at least once a day most days.

I reuse mine until they wear out or smell bad. But the only time I’m indoors is for occasional grocery shopping maybe once or twice a week.

I used to have the cloth type and I would launder them after each store visit. But I felt like over time that was becoming a bit too extreme.

I've been wearing one for quite a while, YMMV.

What is the real difference between the KN95 and N95 masks? They look alike. Is it purely that the N95 has been tested and certified, while the KN95 has not?

What is the real difference between the KN95 and N95 masks? They look alike. Is it purely that the N95 has been tested and certified, while the KN95 has not?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a35383193/n95-vs-kn95-mask-differences/

Both N95 and KN95 masks use multiple layers of synthetic material to protect you from outside particles. And, as their names suggest, both must filter out 95 percent of particles that are 0.3 microns in size or larger.

The main differences are the looks and regulating bodies that control the masks. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) regulates N95 masks, putting each mask prototype from various manufacturers through a rigorous testing process. (You can find a list of CDC-approved N95 masks for use in surgical settings here.) Meanwhile, the Chinese government regulates KN95 masks.

For the average person, N95 masks and KN95 masks have negligible differences. If you're not a health care worker, either should suffice for you.

I do throw them away after about 3 trips to a grocery store (20 min x 3, so about after one hour of use).

This seems like a reasonable approach. Just to be on the safe side, I think I'll go ahead and toss all of my more used/stale masks, order some new ones, and begin discarding new masks after 1-2 hours of use. The prices have fallen substantially since last April, to less than $1/mask now.

The package on the KN95 masks that we have state that it can be used up to 20 times. We usually replace our N95 and KN95 masks every 6 weeks. N95 mask are in ample supply now. So much so that Prestige Ameritech has received permission to export N95 masks since they are seeing less local demand.

It's all relative. Any mask is better than no mask, which is why cloth masks are considered acceptable these days.

And I'm sure you know that even with the best N95 mask, if there's any gap in the fit, the virus is smart enough to go around the mask and into the gap. :)

As an aside, I've made a bunch of these for people:
https://bellus3d.com/solutions/mask-fitter

They work (I've tested myself via Bitrex). I've got some. I rarely use them.

Last edited:
I have been using 3 ply cloth masks with an additional PM2.5 filter. it took a few purchases before I finally found cloth masks that fit well and covered both my mouth AND nose. I keep them in the car on the dash in the sun. It gets really hot in Florida. As I enter the car after wearing one i will first sanitize my hands with isopropyl alcohol then remove the mask and spray the inside and outside of the mask with isopropyl alcohol before putting it on the dash. After a few wearings they will be switched out for a fresh mask while the other gets washed and the filter replaced.
It has worked for me so far. I am also strictly social distancing (have you noticed that most people can't measure at least 6 feet) and staying at home except for the occasional quick grocery shopping or hardware store visit. It has been 5 days post my second Moderna shot and I will continue my safety measures including mask but with less stress in the future.
Our future time is limited so I would like them to be as long and symptom free as possible

Cheers!

I have a dirty kn95 and a clean kn95 that I alternate between. I only wear the clean one to appointments. I wear the dirty one shopping, etc. When the dirty one gets too dirty, I throw it away and bring a new one into the rotation. I almost always sanitize my hands before taking one off.

I've probably gone through 3 or 4 kn95's since last March.

The package on the KN95 masks that we have state that it can be used up to 20 times.

I would think the amount of time you're wearing is much more relevant than the number of times. For example, I wear a mask several times per day, on the way to my office or whenever I leave it, and sometimes when someone else enters, but I may only have it on for about 15 to 20 minutes combined most days. But someone else might wear a mask fewer times than me, but they may be wearing it for 8+ hours.

I was using a Vogmask with a sewn in filter, but I got my second vaccine dose over 3 weeks ago, so I'm switching over to a different mask that's easier to breathe through.

I stopped using hand sanitizer months ago when it was clear that COVID wasn't spreading that easily as initially feared.

Last edited:
I have been using 3 ply cloth masks with an additional PM2.5 filter. it took a few purchases before I finally found cloth masks that fit well and covered both my mouth AND nose. I keep them in the car on the dash in the sun. It gets really hot in Florida. As I enter the car after wearing one i will first sanitize my hands with isopropyl alcohol then remove the mask and spray the inside and outside of the mask with isopropyl alcohol before putting it on the dash. After a few wearings they will be switched out for a fresh mask while the other gets washed and the filter replaced.
It has worked for me so far. I am also strictly social distancing (have you noticed that most people can't measure at least 6 feet) and staying at home except for the occasional quick grocery shopping or hardware store visit. It has been 5 days post my second Moderna shot and I will continue my safety measures including mask but with less stress in the future.
Our future time is limited so I would like them to be as long and symptom free as possible
Cheers!

This is what we do also. The layered cloth masks and filters work very well. The alcohol spray is my backup in between mask washing. I do have some N95s, but we really don't go places where we have that much exposure, with pick ups and drivethrus.
I have been immunized (on call healthcare worker), still trying to get DH an appointment.

So, DW and I will get our second shot next week and are planning a flight across country near the end of April. We have been using KN95 masks for the bulk of our shopping and appointments. The duration is usually less than a hour. I am concerned that a full day of travel will be somewhat torturous and am looking for recommendations for what vaccinated folks are wearing in airports and planes. Can we relax a bit and wear a lighter cloth mask? Also, looking for recommendations for something that fits a narrow smaller adult face.

So, DW and I will get our second shot next week and are planning a flight across country near the end of April. We have been using KN95 masks for the bulk of our shopping and appointments. The duration is usually less than a hour. I am concerned that a full day of travel will be somewhat torturous and am looking for recommendations for what vaccinated folks are wearing in airports and planes. Can we relax a bit and wear a lighter cloth mask? Also, looking for recommendations for something that fits a narrow smaller adult face.

I bought some white KN95's with the straps that go behind the head from here: https://bonafidemasks.com/face-masks/kn95-respirator-face-masks/

They are smaller than my N95 round type masks. They appear to be good quality.
Next time I might get a pack of 10 that go behind the ears, as Dad has lots of trouble with putting the elastic over the head.

Coupon: 2021 applied at checkout will get you a 7% discount. :)

We bought a package of, I think, 5 K95s. They were about $2 apiece which is more than the $.10 per surgical mask. We also have several double ply cloth masks.

Anyway, we wore the first K95 a few times. They main one was when we went to get our first vaccine. Then we each used a second one for the 2nd trip. I left it in the car afterward to air out and haven't used it since. I think DH has used his a few times. I think we have one unused K95 left.

We double masked when we wore them and put a cloth mask over them. For quicker things we tend to now use a surgical mask with a cloth mask over it.

But we are almost 2 weeks out from our 2nd vaccine so I don't think we will buy more K95s. The large unused stack of disposable surgical masks (we use those only once each) and our cloth masks should suffice for us as fully vaccinated people. Mask mandate going away in a few days but we will keep wearing masks in public anyway.

Can we relax a bit and wear a lighter cloth mask?

The short answer is yes, you can relax a bit. Once you've been fully vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna, wearing a mask actually only confers a small degree of additional protection for you. According to Dr. Osterholm, 99% of the protection a vaccinated, masked person is getting comes from the vaccine.

Someone on this Forum suggested the KF94 mask made in S. Korea. I order some from Amazon and they are excellent. A lightweight paper mask (disposable but I alternate mine and wear them each several times). They fit the face well, have an adjustable nose piece, my glasses do not fog. The shape is such that the mask stands away from the face slightly and therefore it is easier to breathe but there is still a good seal. Much easier to breath than the N95. I think these are going to be my go to mask when in crowded places during cold and flu season going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom