Likelihood of upcoming travel plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toocold

Full time employment: Posting here.
I had pre-booked a trip to Maui for a month at the beginning of July. Using your crystal ball, what do you all think is the over/under that I'll be able to take the trip?

Does Maui require you to quarantine in your hotel for the first 14 days ?

Right now, yes, and if that is the case in July, I will cancel.

You'll know more in a month...Hawaii has been devastated by the lockdown on tourists. It will be interesting to see what plays out. I have no dog in this fight so am not advocating tourists or no tourists..

Do you feel safe not only in the plane(s), but also at the airports for 2 hours +/- each way and more if there are connections?

Rich

We have cancelled all of our summer trips. Even in a mask, I do not want to be on a plane or at a busy airport right now. Nor be away from home if an emergency shelter in place occurs again.

I had planned a trip to Africa. Canceled indefinitely. I was going to Malawi to vacation with a friend in the Peace Corps.

In the far future I may try a high end safari. I don't expect much international travel for several years. Considering DH will be in his seventh decade, I may have to make concessions.

What about a camping trip July 1 with a group of friends to the local lake? Right now that is still banned in our state.

Our June trip to Ireland was cancelled (by the tour operator) & I'm still fighting for the $ rather than a travel credit. We are hoping we can get a condo for a week in Pensacola around the holidays (to see Step son & fam). Other than that, this'll be a stay-cation year for the post part.

Do you feel safe not only in the plane(s), but also at the airports for 2 hours +/- each way and more if there are connections?
I have no concerns about being around people, I am itching to live a normal life again, including travelling. I am wary though of being away from home if another lockdown happens or being required to quarantine away from home.

Last edited:
We have flown to Hawaii and many years later we took a cruise there and back. We enjoyed the cruise trip more than the flying trip and are planning to do the cruise trip again some day.

I'd say maybe 50/50 that Maui will still be in lockdown even if the state doesn't extend its stay at home order past May 31st.. If you were going to Oahu I'd give it a little better odds, but Maui is making even inter-island travelers quarantine at the moment. They are tourism based but they are also really worried about their one real hospital getting overwhelmed.

I'd say maybe 50/50 that Maui will still be in lockdown even if the state doesn't extend its stay at home order past May 31st.. If you were going to Oahu I'd give it a little better odds, but Maui is making even inter-island travelers quarantine at the moment. They are tourism based but they are also really worried about their one real hospital getting overwhelmed.

I guess they will need to make that decision at some point. The problem with tourist based income is it's pretty much gone forever when they are locked down...it's not like they can take double the amount of tourists to make up for the shutdown.

I live in Tulsa OK, and we have a daughter getting married in January next year in Orlando. So my wife and I have booked a trip to Orlando in June to help her shop for a wedding dress.

So if the plane flys, and we are still alive, we WILL be on it!

I hope you get to have a great trip to Hawaii, but be sure to do what you think is the right thing for you.

Even if you could get to Hawaii and get past the 14 day quarantine, then what? Restaurants are still closed. Non essential stores are closed. Entertainment is pretty much shut down. So unless you just want to hang out at the beach all day and eat a lot of takeout it seems like it would be a pretty limited vacation.

Status of the travel destination is definitely something travellers need to consider.
But if it opens up to a degree that Vancouver, for example, is now on the verge of doing after flattening the curve, I think Hawaii could be a great destination depending on what kind of trip one is looking for. Personally, we go to Hawaii specifically for all the outdoor activities: beaches, hikes, surfing, etc. We also love getting some take out poke, fish tacos, or something from a food truck and bringing it to a random beach/park to eat. Or grilling dinner if our rental had a grill. We also like eating at restaurants and poking our heads in a mall too but for us, those aren't deal breakers for a Hawaii trip.

We have a couple of August trips planned.

One fly Chicago - Boston. Spend a couple of days in Boston. Original plan was to go to a Red Sox game. Then drive to Bar Harbor Me for 5 days - hiking etc in Acadia NP. Stay in a B&B.

We were discussing options with travel mates earlier today. Can't see what good staying in Boston would be. Can't go to Red Sox game. Restaurants, etc will be spotty. And not sure about Acadia - it's currently closed.

Other trip in August is a driving trip to Glacier NP. Have reservations at Glacier lodges. Glacier is currently closed.

So our trip plans will depend if these parks and lodges open, and under what circumstances.

We cancelled all our travel plans for this year. August was supposed to be a month trip in August in Europe seeing 5 countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom