Likelihood of upcoming travel plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had pre-booked a trip to Maui for a month at the beginning of July. Using your crystal ball, what do you all think is the over/under that I'll be able to take the trip?

I think "normal" travel will not resume until 2021, once a vaccine is rolled out.

I have no concerns about being around people, I am itching to live a normal life again, including travelling. I am wary though of being away from home if another lockdown happens or being required to quarantine away from home.

Even if you are living a normal life and traveling around it doesn't mean anyone else is. The island, though starved for tourists, may be "dead". If you are just going to lie on the beach alone or dine alone in restaurants then OK. But the vibe might just be subdued. I was on Maui during 9/11. Nothing was open the next day and then people went out after that but it wasn't much fun.

Even if you could get to Hawaii and get past the 14 day quarantine, then what? Restaurants are still closed. Non essential stores are closed. Entertainment is pretty much shut down. So unless you just want to hang out at the beach all day and eat a lot of takeout it seems like it would be a pretty limited vacation.

They have begun to announce reopening scheduled for the next week or so. By July I would think businesses mostly open unless serious problems.

Will you be willing to fly if the middle seats are installed with separators like in this article?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/planbay-seat-design-socially-distance-aviation/index.html

Of course, masks, hand-washing, sanitizing seats and armrests should still be done.

My vision is more like me geared up like the medical personnel. I would need the N95 mask (made in the US), a surgical mask over the nN95, a disposable gown over my clothes, and disinfecting wipes. I would only take flights like this if they were under 4 hours. The density of the flight would have to be a lot less that it is now with a full plane.

Feeling safe and being safe are two different things.

Will you be willing to fly if the middle seats are installed with separators like in this article?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/planbay-seat-design-socially-distance-aviation/index.html

Of course, masks, hand-washing, sanitizing seats and armrests should still be done.

What I hope to see is airlines removing the middle seat completely while widening the aisle and window seat and putting a plexiglass divider down the middle. This would make flying much more comfortable. Of course with less density they would need to raise prices. But they can’t continue with their business model of packing people in like sardines and charging ridiculously low fares to try and make a profit. Those days are over.

Since I am a retired bum with lots of time on his hands, I will probably drive if I take a vacation later this year. Fly? The day after I am vaccinated or my doctor says he can prescribe anti-CV19 pills I can take with me just in case, I will probably make my first airline reservation.

Note to airline owners: You really should give a bunch of cash to people working on treatments and/or vaccinations. I believe that is called 'Enlightened self interest".

What I hope to see is airlines removing the middle seat completely while widening the aisle and window seat and putting a plexiglass divider down the middle. This would make flying much more comfortable. Of course with less density they would need to raise prices. But they can’t continue with their business model of packing people in like sardines and charging ridiculously low fares to try and make a profit. Those days are over.

I will respectfully non-concur. :flowers:

This may hold true for a while, but the airlines went to a business model that the market took them to. Several years back (more than a decade), one airline even ran a TV campaign showing them ripping seats out and proclaiming that the days of being crammed together were over. How'd that work out?

Here is one alternate approach. They might "take off" once folks want/have to fly again. https://thepointsguy.com/news/la-compagnie-a321lr-tour/

We pay to sit up front because its worth it to us.

Thailand just announced that it opens on July 1, no quarantine.

We are also traveling to Maui for one week and then to Oahu for one week on July 11th. As of yesterday, Hawaai still has a 14 day quarantine through June 30th. We are waiting until the last minute to cancel and hoping for the best.

I booked our annual summer trip to Maui back in March and scheduled it for June 28-July 16. The June flight was cancelled and we were able to re-book for July 1. Take a look at the Beat of Hawaii website, they are a pretty good source. We own a few condos over there and have been in close contact with our property manager, our HOA and a few friends. At this point, I am 50/50 on whether we make it. It depends on the restrictions (arrival, activities and dining). The latest I heard is that they may let us arrive in July without the 14 day quarantine IF you are tested within X days of arrival. There are some legal hurdles to get this approved. If there are a lot of restrictions on all other activities (pool, beach, dining, etc) we will push the trip. We planned on a few trips to Maui over the next 12 months, so I am not overly stressed if we have to move it. However, our little ones are really looking forward to it.

I had planned a trip to Africa. Canceled indefinitely. I was going to Malawi to vacation with a friend in the Peace Corps.

In the far future I may try a high end safari. I don't expect much international travel for several years. Considering DH will be in his seventh decade, I may have to make concessions.

My brother was in Malawi in the Peace Corps from 1984 - 1986. Incredible experience for him. He worked at a Jesuit school just outside Lilongwe. When he got placed there, he had to look it up in an atlas as Malawi was not well known at the time - Madonna had not adopted a son from there yet!

I was fortunate to be able to go visit him in October of 1985. I will never forget it. I was about 20 and it sure changed my outlook on life and what I thought was important. I hope you get to go.

As for safari, we went to Kenya last October and stayed at camps through www.porini.com. Had the most fabulous vacation ever and met the nicest staff and other tourists.

I'd say maybe 50/50 that Maui will still be in lockdown even if the state doesn't extend its stay at home order past May 31st.. If you were going to Oahu I'd give it a little better odds, but Maui is making even inter-island travelers quarantine at the moment. They are tourism based but they are also really worried about their one real hospital getting overwhelmed.

Maui will not be in lockdown, but our Mayor and local officials are still discouraging visitors. When flights are authorized they will probably start by flying interisland. Flights to the mainland or to other countries are much more iffy. If your reservations were in August I would say you are probably okay, but July might be cutting it close. Presently all visitors must stay in quarantine for 14 days. Crime Stoppers and local television stations have enthusiastically shown the faces of visitors who have broken quarantine and are in hiding. Locals, including hotel staff, are reporting them One was arrested yesterday.

Crime Stoppers and local television stations have enthusiastically shown the faces of visitors who have broken quarantine and are in hiding. Locals, including hotel staff, are reporting them One was arrested yesterday.

Can Soviet "druzhiniki" badges be far behind?

We had to cancel a trip on the Ruby Princess to Alaska for September. We'd planned to take 6 family members with us, but it's a no-go now. Today, the DH and I are going to cancel a 19 day cruise for the end of September out of LA to Panama and back. We're booked on a 111-day World Cruise leaving FT. Lauderdale next January, but I'm doubtful it will happen. Very sad about it, but I think we'll need a Covid-19 vaccine before much cruise travel starts up again.

I too have a credit at American Airlines after our flight home from Berlin was cancelled in March. We have until 7/31/2020 to book a flight next year to use the credit. We too would prefer a cash refund as there's nowhere in the U.S. we really care to visit.

And next year's flights to Europe are priced 4x what we were paying going to Berlin.

To make things worse, we are afraid that some airlines may not be around after the virus matter is settled, and American Airlines might be #1 to go bankrupt.

I too have a credit at American Airlines after our flight home from Berlin was cancelled in March. We have until 7/31/2020 to book a flight next year to use the credit. We too would prefer a cash refund as there's nowhere in the U.S. we really care to visit.

And next year's flights to Europe are priced 4x what we were paying going to Berlin.

To make things worse, we are afraid that some airlines may not be around after the virus matter is settled, and American Airlines might be #1 to go bankrupt.

If AA cancelled the flight, don't they have to refund you and not simply give a credit ?

I would not be willing to do a 14 day quarantine. I would wait.

If AA cancelled the flight, don't they have to refund you and not simply give a credit ?
Correct. If the airline canx'd the flight, by law you are entitled to a refund. If it was the passenger who cancelled the flight, then it is up to the airline.

Driving to Hilton Head late next month. Have a house with its own pool. Beaches never crowded there anyway due to the low-density housing. Going out to eat will be a concern though.

Last edited:
My fishing trip to BC in July was cancelled by the operator. Deposit and reservations were rolled into next year. I just have to hope that they stay solvent so that they may operate next year..... Airline and hotel were fairly easy to deal with.

I also have a trip booked to RSA in the latter half of August. I'm not holding out a lot of hope for that happening.

Best of luck for everyone else's travel plans!

October trip to Copper Canyon in Mexico was cancelled, our guide had saved our check, and said he will destroy with our permission. June 10th we find out if the Dolomite trip is a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom