Many of you don't w*rk but . . .u ready to go back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP be careful what you wish for in regards to WFH. I left the workplace after a rare WFH day, Megacorp promised more of them.

On this day an insurance company upgraded their system we supported. Wasn't our upgrade, it was theirs, and they botched it. Converted a database with hundreds of millions of rows and made a critical date column unusable for most ot their business.

I was on a conference call for 14 hours before the SHTF(it had been hitting before but it got really stupid 14 hours in)...... A few hours later I became done with Megacorp. I was on the PC had my Megacorp provided cell and used our home line for other calls. My VP showed me his Marine Corps leadership skills in yelling[emoji86]. My DW had to witness all the insanity but she couldn't escape. I gave my notice two weeks later.

I've been working from home since March 16. It's not all it's cracked up to be, but I'm getting used to it. One definite advantage is that it feels like I have more free time, as suddenly there's 75-90 minutes extra per day that I have free, versus spent commuting.

And, if I have a bit of down time here and there, I can knock out a quick housecleaning chore, or do a bit of yardwork, where otherwise I'd be stuck at my desk, at work.

The biggest down side is that they keep a tighter leash on us. I have to document everything I do during a telecommute day, in the comments section of my electronic timesheet, and also send a copy in an email to my team lead. When I was in the office, they didn't keep this kind of tracking on us. If I had a slow day where all I did was respond to emails, it wasn't a problem. But if that happens when I'm at home, I do worry that they might look into using it as a justification to cut the amount of hours I'm allowed to charge while I'm telecommuting.

Still, once this is over, I might look into seeing if they'll let me telecommute one or two days per week. As it currently stands (or stood, when I went into the office), I would usually stay late on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, leave early on Wednesday and Friday, and it would still total out to 40 hours per week. Might be nice if they'd let me work from home on one of those short days, and then, if it works out okay, perhaps make it both of them.

My goal had been to retire (or at least seriously look into it, maybe cut back my hours if I'm not ready to quit cold turkey) in April 2021. As of February 19, I was well on track to that. But now, I don't know. At my worst, I was down about 30.5% YTD, on March 23. As of 4/9, I'm only down about 17%. Everything's so up in the air though, I could see it going either way by April 2021!

Since I began my work-free life in 2014 at 53 years old I have never been happier! I grabbed the chance to travel to 20-30 countries (stuck in Ecuador as I type this actually), met the love of my life (she's stuck here with me) and watched my net-worth increase 50% after all expenses simply by doing nothing but sitting tight.

Why on earth would I ever consider going back to a J-O-B?

Since the original thread intents been hijacked anyway....
Inappropriate sense of humor + FU Money - obsolete skills = no one should hire me.

I love this. My formula is “Saying what I think + FU Money - Ambition that’s been beaten out of me.”

No. ER Jan 1993.

:facepalm:

heh heh heh - two temp job stints and I discovered 'getting caught volunteering' for no $ can be as hard as the evil 'work!' :rolleyes: ;)

No. ER Jan 1993.

:facepalm:

heh heh heh - two temp job stints and I discovered 'getting caught volunteering' for no $ can be as hard as the evil 'work!' :rolleyes: ;)
This! I pushed back on volunteer tasks and responsibilities for the first 6 months of ER but I have been snared by a few over the last 15 months or so. Beware the accumulation of volunteer responsibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom