Masks to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Masks and bandanas are available at grocery stores and hardware stores in our area. Look around the checkouts. I've also seen cloth masks on etsy. As far as filtering the KN95 doesn't seem to do anything more than the cloth masks.

I'm getting a lot of solitiations from various online clothes sales outfits for masks. Apparently any clothing company worth a cr*p has converted to mask creation. I've purchased 4 cloth masks, 2 on Etsy, two from clothing companies, and all were from firms that repurposed their clothing production to make masks.

Last edited:
Apparently any clothing company worth a cr*p has converted to mask creation.

I kind of like this. Maybe it's more important to women, but I'm in the market for nice fabrics and attractive patterns. Mask as fashion is going to be a thing.

You heard it hear first: I predict Vogue will feature a masked model/actress on their cover by year end.

I kind of like this. Maybe it's more important to women, but I'm in the market for nice fabrics and attractive patterns. Mask as fashion is going to be a thing.

You heard it hear first: I predict Vogue will feature a masked model/actress on their cover by year end.

two of the masks I purchased were from women's apparel companies, one made lingerie.

Thank you! I had poor expectations and it lived up because I didn't know how to properly adjust it!
This guy shows how to wear a mask. Is he doing it properly from your experience? He's enjoying his 5 minutes and expanded it to 12. He shows surgical masks around 4:20, and KN95 around 8:30. My KN95 fits better after practice with the sealing.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/VB-ebHu2BwI

Thank you! The video you found is exactly what people need to see before they wear a mask.

Lots of masks from China on Amazon. I don't see why people are paranoid about Chinese masks. We outsourced our production to China decades ago.

The sweat shops in LA changed over to making masks. And I believe two of my cotton masks were made in Los Angeles.

"Mayor Eric Garcetti has called on the city’s garment industry to step up during the COVID-19 crisis, as hospital workers face shortages of personal protective equipment and all Angelenos are required to wear masks when entering stores."
(Most the article is about sweatshops, not masks. The link is here for a source)

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-04-21/making-masks-and-making-less-than-minimum-wage

Can you post a link?

Here are the links. For the masks, they all took almost a month to get. I'm getting multiple masks because they do wear out eventually and it looks like we will need the masks for possibly another year.

I like these ones from Los Angeles. And they can still be ordered on Etsy. It's a three layer, the middle layer is made of polyester with a PUL coating.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FervorFitFashion?ref=l2-about-shopname
instagram is https://www.instagram.com/myfervorfit/?hl=en

The other three layer ones I like and wear most often don't seem to be on sale on Etsy any longer. they were from Minnesota. The company name is 'reusablemasks'

I'm expecting to get these this week (made in Chicago)
https://food52.com/shop/products/74...m=email&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_term=20295929

I also pre ordered these ones for June. I don't know where they are made. https://www.vistaprint.com/masks/

I ordered cloth masks through amazon but they were taking forever to arrive so I went to etsy.com and ordered some cloth masks. I had never been on that site before. I think it’s individuals who are good at crafts who sell their items. I bought four masks so I could get free shipping and they were mailed out within an hour. I got them in 3 days. Good quality, washable, sturdy. Made by a lady somewhere in the US. There’s a pocket for a filter. I liked that I was helping to support an individual in the US, and was very pleased with the quick service.

Are they as good as N95 masks? I have no idea. Probably not since N95’s are medical quality. But for my purposes, they work fine, and (knock on wood) I’m still virus-free.

I suspect that the vast majority of cheap KN95 masks are made in China. The ones I was looking at on eBay earlier all seemed to have both Chinese and English text on the packaging. I'm not sure why this would be a deterrent to purchasing/using them, though, unless you have some reason to believe the quality is dangerously low or you have a philosophical/political aversion to buying stuff made in China.

I am afraid that the masks may not meet the proper standards. There have been imports of knockoffs that have hit the market. I don't know if I could tell the difference between a knockoff or the patented product. I will only buy the 3M brand that I believe to be authentic.

so I went to etsy.com and ordered some cloth masks. I had never been on that site before. I think it’s individuals who are good at crafts who sell their items. .

I really like Etsy. It's my go to place for dog collars, non-toxic candles, and now face masks.

I use these masks from Thailand. I have several masks that I can wash and you purchase a bunch of replaceable filters. I use the filters for about a week and then discard them.

https://www.style-seal.com

It doesn't look like they will ship out of Thailand anymore. From their FAQ:

Do you ship internationally?
Unfortunately, the Thai government has forbidden the export of face mask products including ours. This means we are not allowed to ship any products outside of Thailand. We are very sorry about this, and hope the ban will be lifted in the near future.

While I might use a mask for a max of 1 hour that was really an example, and only happened once when visiting a relative.

When I pick up takeout once per week curbside, I wear my mask 15 minutes at the place. I don't wear it driving to/fro.

When picking up groceries at Walmart it's the same literally 15 minutes of mask wearing once per week.

So 1/2 hour every week use, and rotation amount 2 masks (so each mask is used 15 min per week) , means I should replace my masks in use (2 at a time) once every 8 months, which seems about right. My masks show no sign of wear so far, not like when I would work in them and they would be worn and dirty in a day.

It doesn't look like they will ship out of Thailand anymore. From their FAQ:
Oh . . . sorry. I forgot about that.

My elderly mom has asked me to find her some masks on the internet. She has a cloth mask someone made her and a disposable mask from the doctor's office and she says she has difficulty breathing out of both of them--she feels like she might pass out when she wears them. She lives in an independent living apartment in a continuing care retirement community and she is required to wear a mask when she goes out of her apartment. Also the closet large town just made masks mandatory. Mother thinks masks are a good idea and wants to wear one when she goes out but she needs to be able to breathe too.

Any suggestions for masks I could buy for my mother online that might be easier for her breathing? Thanks.

Any suggestions for masks I could buy for my mother online that might be easier for her breathing? Thanks.

I heard from COPD people that you can buy extra large masks for men with beards that are easier to breathe with . The bottom of the mask is extra large to make room for the beard .They have extra large masks on etsy . She could also wear a face shield .

Last edited:
I heard from COPD people that you can buy extra large masks for men with beards that are easier to breathe with . The bottom of the mask is extra large to make room for the beard .They have extra large masks on etsy . She could also wear a face shield .

Some good ideas, thanks. I wonder if a face shield would meet the requirement of her town that is requiring masks? I guess I could call the town and ask.

Well I did order some kn95s from the Nomad place in my original post (https://nomadgoods.com/collections/medical-supplies) and they seem quite good. My wife was a nurse (technically still is but retired) and she thought they were good too but a bit big for her (she normally requires extra small stuff, have yet to find in-ear headphones that she can wear).

I've put in a bigger order now that I know they are good, as well as ordered some of the surgical masks hoping they will fit her better / use in passing by circumstances vs running into a store.

I noticed this mask with extra space on the face on ETSY. There may be others like it on ETSY. from the seller: "I have created 2 pleats on each side and a pleat on the top and bottom to allow the mask to lay closer to the face on all sides, top and bottom. This also allows for a little extra "breathing room" on the inside. This is especially good for those who get a little claustrophobic wearing a mask"

https://www.etsy.com/listing/790667457/reusable-washable-three-layer-protective?ref=user_profile

I don't feel like I'm getting enough air when I wear the paper ones. Do the exhalation valves help?

I don't feel like I'm getting enough air when I wear the paper ones. Do the exhalation valves help?
As I understand it, they defeat the public safety purposes of wearing the mask since the exhalation valve allows your virii to pass into the surrounding air. I have seen photos of medical personnel wearing such respirators with what appears to be hepa filter material covering the exhalation valves, but that would probably restrict breathing as much as a non-valve respirator.

Edit: From 3M's FAQ - "it is not recommended
that a person who is exhibiting symptoms of illness wear a valved respirator, because there is a possibility that exhaled particles
may leave the respirator via the valve and enter the surrounding environment." I bolded a section that doesn't seem to make sense since the CDC believes many contagious people may be asymptomatic.

Last edited:
As I understand it, they defeat the public safety purposes of wearing the mask since the exhalation valve allows your virii to pass into the surrounding air. I have seen photos of medical personnel wearing such respirators with what appears to be hepa filter material covering the exhalation valves, but that would probably restrict breathing as much as a non-valve respirator.
The shop mask I had on hand is an N95 with a valve. If I wear that one I also wear a bandana over it. The mask does seem to retain less air, as it does exit via the valve, but it is not spewed towards anyone, any droplets should be caught by the bandana. But I have a friend who recently sewed cloth masks for my family and I, so we mostly wear those now. They are a lot more stylish, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom