Masks to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny

Recycles dryer sheets
So is there availability of quality masks yet?

I think there is a plethora of simple cloth masks out there, but those seem mostly to prevent the wearer from spreading droplets and offer a little bit of protection for the wearer.

What about the n95 masks, preferably reusable cloth with breathing valves:confused:

I know Nomad Goods (https://nomadgoods.com/collections/medical-supplies) has some disposable KN95s. Though I like their charging cables and like how they for awhile were making masks just for the medical community, not sure the quality of the civilian masks (though better than nothing of course).

Anyone find any good quality masks to buy?

What about the n95 masks, preferably reusable cloth with breathing valves:confused:

I read that the masks with the breathing valves are not recommended. The valve defeats the purpose of the mask with regards to preventing the wearer from spreading the virus since the exhaled air is not filtered. Though I agree, they are much more comfortable to wear.

I got some KN95 masks. They seem readily available. I haven't worn mine yet, but I'm thinking they'll be better than the surgical masks and the cloth mask I've been wearing.

The valve defeats the purpose of the mask with regards to preventing the wearer from spreading the virus since the exhaled air is not filtered.

Not that I don't trust the media, but not sure that makes sense to me. Certainly compared to the exhaled air going back out through the n95 filtration it'd be less filtered going through the valve.

But is exhaled air through the respirator valve, which isn't just gaping hole and often has a membrane over it as well, any more dangerous to the public than exhaled air going through the simple cloth or homemade masks a lot of people use?

Edit: OK, a quick google shows they are talking about the n95 masks with valves on the front as that can focus/propel the virus out. Those look to be mostly sanding masks with the front valve. Presumably, the valves on the side are fine, otherwise, medical staff wouldn't use those.

Last edited:
It's true, the valve doesn't filter, but when you exhale in a valveless mask it generally pushes it away from your face and much of it leaks out the sides. When you inhale, the pressure actually improves the seal, so the filtering works, but there's not much filtering going on when you exhale with any type of mask. It's still catching most of the droplets, as even a surgical mask would.

But with that concern in mind, I've still worn a bandana over my N95 respirator mask with valve because I know some people have expressed that concern. I also kinda like that desperado look. :D

Ive been paying $40 for ten packs of KN95 masks from a local Bridal Shop owner. She imports them from China. The company that makes dresses has a division that makes masks.
Keep two in the car and rotate usage.

Ive been paying $40 for ten packs of KN95 masks from a local Bridal Shop owner. She imports them from China. The company that makes dresses has a division that makes masks.
Keep two in the car and rotate usage.

You feel Ok with using masks from China? I have some disposibles on order. I found out they are being shopped from China. Now, I'm not sure Iw ant to even open the package.

You feel Ok with using masks from China? I have some disposibles on order. I found out they are being shopped from China. Now, I'm not sure Iw ant to even open the package.

The disposables that I bought were actually made in WUHAN. How's that for irony?

Why not?
If the virus can still be viable after a week in transit I'm sure I would have caught it some other way. Plus I'm in NY. Probably a greater chance of getting it from a neighbor.
Or worried about the quality? They seem very well made.

Ive been paying $40 for ten packs of KN95 masks from a local Bridal Shop owner. She imports them from China. The company that makes dresses has a division that makes masks. Keep two in the car and rotate usage.

Do you mean you reuse them? How often? I thought that isn't recommended.

Do you mean you reuse them? How often? I thought that isn't recommended.

I reuse mine.
In a lab or hospital with unlimited free masks, people used to use them as totally disposable.

In real life, I reuse mine, because I might wear it for a max of 1 hour in a day.
Then I take it off, hang it up in the car, which I normally won't be driving for 2-4 more days. The virus if any will die in that time on my masks.

If I'm going out the next day, I use another mask, basically rotating them.

I have not thrown out a mask yet. compared to when I work with a mask, my 2 masks currently in rotation look brand new !

IL is refreshing their hospital masks ( they sterilize them) up to 30 times per mask. They have tested this and confirm it works safely.

I reuse mine because I might wear it for a max of 1 hour in a day.

I agree with this (and rotating if you can't wait to use it again, just be sure to not contaminate your hands/mask then other stuff when you put it into storage.

On your 1 hour a day...do you plan to stop rotating between those 2 masks after 16 hours of usage? I ask as the way I understand filters is the air exchange eventually reduces effectiveness. I know pollution masks with changeable filters suggest a timeframe in which to replace the filters.

Assuming a temporary mask was manufactured for a work day I was planning on ballparking when one had been used off and on for a total of 8 hours, then replace it.

I got some KN95 masks. They seem readily available. I haven't worn mine yet, but I'm thinking they'll be better than the surgical masks and the cloth mask I've been wearing.

I'm looking into buying some masks (to replace my homemade hack-job that's quite uncomfortable), and I'm wondering whether KN95 is really any better than the standard blue surgical masks. Yes, they do filter a bit better and have 5 layers instead of three, but does that mean they actually offer substantially more COVID-19 protection? Or would they simply make me feel a little safer and more protected? I have a strong feeling it's the latter, but that's OK. Sometimes that little, extra bit of psychological security is invaluable.

There are LOTS of sellers of KN95 masks on eBay, along with the more common 3-layer surgical masks. Reasonable prices, too, IMHO.

KN95/N95 masks (from what I understand it is pretty much the same standard, just KN95 is the Chinese designation for the same thing) are made to filter out a lot for the wearer. Surgical masks are not made to filter, just to catch droplets being exhaled by the wearer and minimize airborne aerosolization.

So a surgical mask is definitely better than nothing, but they are absolutely nowhere near as effective for the wearer as a respirator mask like an N95.

Last edited:
I'm looking into buying some masks (to replace my homemade hack-job that's quite uncomfortable), and I'm wondering whether KN95 is really any better than the standard blue surgical masks. Yes, they do filter a bit better and have 5 layers instead of three, but does that mean they actually offer substantially more COVID-19 protection? Or would they simply make me feel a little safer and more protected? I have a strong feeling it's the latter, but that's OK. Sometimes that little, extra bit of psychological security is invaluable.

I believe the KN95s work on an electrostatic principal. This is not just filtering. There is some mask info in the link.

I have a KN95 that I wear covered by a homemade fabric mask for shopping. I have only been out twice, but I plan to start to do my own grocery shopping instead of Instacart. I will let the mask "rest" for 72 hours minimum before reusing.

I had an opportunity to buy KN95 masks but when I found out they were made in China I declined the offer.

https://www.uoflnews.com/section/sc...velop-a-more-effective-and-reusable-n95-mask/

Can any of you fine citizens recommend a source to order a few N95/KN95 masks, preferably one that you actually ordered from?

I have a P100 mask that I happened to have ( either 3M or Honeywell) and I've also bought some KN95 masks. There is no comparison in terms of quality. The 3M mask has a rubber like material around the edges (to hold a seal), a exhale port, and is substantial. The Chinese KN95's - much thinner and much more flimsy.

For the few times I've needed a mask (maybe an hour total time over the last month), I used the P100 mask. I leave it in my vehicle on the dash to get exposure to the sun. I will use the KN95's if/when needed, but don't feel as confident about their ability.

I had an opportunity to buy KN95 masks but when I found out they were made in China I declined the offer.

I suspect that the vast majority of cheap KN95 masks are made in China. The ones I was looking at on eBay earlier all seemed to have both Chinese and English text on the packaging. I'm not sure why this would be a deterrent to purchasing/using them, though, unless you have some reason to believe the quality is dangerously low or you have a philosophical/political aversion to buying stuff made in China.

I suspect that the vast majority of cheap KN95 masks are made in China. The ones I was looking at on eBay earlier all seemed to have both Chinese and English text on the packaging. I'm not sure why this would be a deterrent to purchasing/using them, though, unless you have some reason to believe the quality is dangerously low or you have a philosophical/political aversion to buying stuff made in China.

Well, since the KN95 designation is a Chinese standard, and most ALL masks are made in China (or maybe a few elsewhere in Asia), I would venture to say ALL KN95 masks are made in China.

My biggest issue with buying from China, made to a Chinese standard, is quality control. I have personally seen lack there of, when a vendor thought no one was looking, or would check.

That said, I have no problem buying the cheap disposable "dust masks" made in China, and have. I have a beard, no possibility to get a good seal with any kind of mask, so not worth the effort or costs to get N95 or KN95 masks.

Yes, I could shave it off. Did that many times when working and entering chemical plants.

I am back to the scenario where the mask is to protect others from droplets I might emit. Aerosols will only be caught by a high quality N95 type mask, fitted properly, and used properly, which is MAYBE 10% of the folks I see wearing these.

I agree with this (and rotating if you can't wait to use it again, just be sure to not contaminate your hands/mask then other stuff when you put it into storage.

On your 1 hour a day...do you plan to stop rotating between those 2 masks after 16 hours of usage? I ask as the way I understand filters is the air exchange eventually reduces effectiveness. I know pollution masks with changeable filters suggest a timeframe in which to replace the filters.

Assuming a temporary mask was manufactured for a work day I was planning on ballparking when one had been used off and on for a total of 8 hours, then replace it.

While I might use a mask for a max of 1 hour that was really an example, and only happened once when visiting a relative.

When I pick up takeout once per week curbside, I wear my mask 15 minutes at the place. I don't wear it driving to/fro.

When picking up groceries at Walmart it's the same literally 15 minutes of mask wearing once per week.

So 1/2 hour every week use, and rotation amount 2 masks (so each mask is used 15 min per week) , means I should replace my masks in use (2 at a time) once every 8 months, which seems about right. My masks show no sign of wear so far, not like when I would work in them and they would be worn and dirty in a day.

Masks and bandanas are available at grocery stores and hardware stores in our area. Look around the checkouts. I've also seen cloth masks on etsy. As far as filtering the KN95 doesn't seem to do anything more than the cloth masks.

Masks and bandanas are available at grocery stores and hardware stores in our area. Look around the checkouts. I've also seen cloth masks on etsy. As far as filtering the KN95 doesn't seem to do anything more than the cloth masks.

From what I have read, the KN95 "should" be close to an N95, so better than a cloth mask. But, in actual use, most folks have never really worn a mask before (except for may be dust prevention) and have no idea how to use it properly the get the full effectiveness.

From what I have read, the KN95 "should" be close to an N95, so better than a cloth mask. But, in actual use, most folks have never really worn a mask before (except for may be dust prevention) and have no idea how to use it properly the get the full effectiveness.
Thank you! I had poor expectations and it lived up because I didn't know how to properly adjust it!
This guy shows how to wear a mask. Is he doing it properly from your experience? He's enjoying his 5 minutes and expanded it to 12. He shows surgical masks around 4:20, and KN95 around 8:30. My KN95 fits better after practice with the sealing.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/VB-ebHu2BwI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom