Pfizer Covid vaccine approved by FDA

I am pleased to report that, as of yesterday, Connecticut became the first state to fully vaccinate 80% of its adults (narrowly edging out Vermont). Another 8.3% of adults have had the first dose. Consequently, we have the lowest new infection rate of all states - 14 per 100k.

Last edited:
I am pleased to report that, as of yesterday, Connecticut became the first state to fully vaccinate 80% of its adults (narrowly edging out Vermont). Another 8.3% of adults have had the first dose. Consequently, we have the lowest new infection rate of all states - 14 per 100k.

Awesome!

How great for Connecticut. My state of North Carolina is way down the list but I am happy to report that my county (Orange County, NC) has 83% fully vaccinated.

That's great news!

Palm Springs, CA has over 95% at least partially vaxxed. I read that the fully vaccinated percentage is in the high 80’s but cannot find that link. The link below shows the vaccinated % for each of the So CA desert communities. I think our numbers are so high because we have a lot of seniors and immuno-compromised people here.

https://www.visitgreaterpalmsprings.com/covid-19/vaccine/

An interesting article from the Hartford Courant to follow up on the earlier news. https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-does-connecticut-lowest-rate-152800428.html

This part in particular struck me:

According to data released Thursday, 78.7% of those hospitalized with COVID-19 in Connecticut are not fully vaccinated. Most vaccinated people hospitalized with the disease were admitted for other reasons and do not have severe symptoms, according to hospital officials.

The latest podcast from Post Corona has a interesting interview with an author who wrote a book about what went right with the vaccine development.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...s-story-with-the/id1539292794?i=1000540219153

Have we revolutionized vaccine development? What does this mean for our lives and our health well beyond the vaccine for Covid-19? Could this kind of life sciences revolution only happen in America? And what about Operation Warp Speed? Is it a model for future public-private partnerships to solve big problems?

Greg Zuckerman of The Wall Street Journal joins the podcast to discuss his new and fascinating book, “A Shot to Save the World: The Inside Story of the Life-or-Death Race for a COVID-19 Vaccine.”
Among other things he mentions an unsung hero, General Gustav Perna. He was in charge of the logistics making sure the vaccine developers got what they needed when they needed it. Apparently, at some point he even had roads and bridges temporarily closed to the trucks carrying the supplies could make a rapid trip.

Here's a short interview the General did with NPR:

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/09/9331...-leader-on-logistics-of-a-coronavirus-vaccine
KELLY: Because I know governors were warned last month that in some rural areas, that could be tricky.

PERNA: Yes. And so what we've got to do is work the planning of that. You know, we went out and found - we did surveys about finding ultracold refrigeration, and that capability exists at reasonable prices. So all that was passed to the territories so that they could go purchase ahead of the requirement. So coupled with buying actual freezers, freezers that exist, and the dry ice capability that Pfizer has developed, really, I think we're in a good place there.

Last edited:
The young wife and I got our Pfizer booster shots today. I was pleased to see two dads, each with two young children (5-11), bring them into the pharmacy to get the vaccine. The kids were happy and unperturbed by the shot. All the old folks waiting for their booster congratulated the kids when they were done.

Back
Top Bottom