Pfizer Covid vaccine approved by FDA

It's great that so many employers are mandating vaccinations. I've heard that insurance companies will likely require vaccinations in order to cover Covid hospitalization. That will be the final blow to the hesitation issue problem in the US. How many $100K hospital stays would most families be willing to pay for?

Another very good thing is that many music venues are requiring a vaccine card for entrance. This is going to help push many younger people into getting the vaccines.

Our 30 yr old niece, who works in healthcare, is concerned about the vaccine’s impact on fertility. No long-term studies on this. She already had COVID and she believes her natural immunity is stronger than vaccination, which seems to be supported by recent information. Thus she is not taking the vaccine at this point and I can’t say I would make a different decision in her shoes.

Our 30 yr old niece, who works in healthcare, is concerned about the vaccine’s impact on fertility. No long-term studies on this. She already had COVID and she believes her natural immunity is stronger than vaccination, which seems to be supported by recent information. Thus she is not taking the vaccine at this point and I can’t say I would make a different decision in her shoes.
She works in health care.

So surely she’s been informed that the vaccine has no adverse impact on fertility. This has been made very clear and communicated clearly.

Many studies indicate that natural immunity is enhanced by the vaccine.

And for those concerned about how the vaccine might affect their fertility:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...zations serving people,pregnant in the future.

What’s really dangerous is catching COVID while pregnant and unvaccinated. Lots of recent tragic stories there.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...-surge-critically-ill-pregnant-women-n1277524

Local hospitals in my area are reporting a 5x increase in pregnant women with Covid. But, they did not give any actual patient counts. We don't know if it means the number went from one to five, or from 10 to 50. Both are alarming, one much more so than the other.

I think it would be awful to be pregnant and have Covid. If I were planning to get pregnant I would definitely get the vaccine before attempting to get pregnant.

I think it would be awful to be pregnant and have Covid. If I were planning to get pregnant I would definitely get the vaccine before attempting to get pregnant.

That is what is recommended.

More challenges to herd immunity: study finds that 36% of those who had COVID did not have antibodies 3 weeks after being free from COVID symptoms.

Think you are protected against the Covid-19 coronavirus and don’t need the Covid-19 vaccine just because you’ve already had Covid-19? Well, contrary to what some motivational talks may tell you, don’t be so sure of yourself. A study just published in the journal Emerging Infectious Disease found that 36% of those who had had Covid-19 didn’t have antibodies against the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in their blood.
….
For the study, a research team, led by first author Weimin Liu, M.D. and senior author Beatrice Hahn, M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania, checked blood samples from 72 people who had tested positive for the Covid-19 coronavirus via RT-PCR tests. All but two of the people had had symptoms, with 13 (18%) having mild disease, 48 (67%) moderate disease, and nine (12%) severe disease. They waited at least three weeks after each person no longer had symptoms before checking their blood.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucel...evelop-antibodies-study-says/?sh=6b0243dd5f60

She works in health care.

So surely she’s been informed that the vaccine has no adverse impact on fertility. This has been made very clear and communicated clearly.

Many studies indicate that natural immunity is enhanced by the vaccine.

She’s informed that this is what the CDC currently thinks. However, she hasn’t been informed of any long-term studies that document the effect of the vaccines on fertility. Given that the vaccines haven’t been out very long, I would imagine this data doesn’t exist.

I agree that stories of pregnant women getting really sick with COVID and even dying are heartbreaking. It would also be heartbreaking for a healthy person with natural immunity to never be able to conceive because of an as yet unknown adverse impact on fertility. There seems to be new and evolving information coming out regularly and there seems to still be much to be learned about COVID.

I don’t know what decision I would make in her place, but she’s intelligent, has a PhD in a healthcare field, and I respect her choice to decide what she should put into her body. She will have to live with the consequences one way or the other.

This news story reports that Pfizer may submit its EUA application for giving the Covid vaccine to children aged 5-11 as soon as the end of September and predicts that it could gain approval from the FDA by the end of October.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-u-decision-pfizer-covid-204808333.html

If that occurs, it will be a major step forward in fighting the spread of the disease.

This news story reports that Pfizer may submit its EUA application for giving the Covid vaccine to children aged 5-11 as soon as the end of September and predicts that it could gain approval from the FDA by the end of October.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-u-decision-pfizer-covid-204808333.html

If that occurs, it will be a major step forward in fighting the spread of the disease.

This is good news. A minor question, but I wonder if the dosing for this age group will be different?

A new study that should encourage at least some of the holdouts to get vaccinated.
Allergic reactions to the new mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines are rare, typically mild and treatable.
The study analyzed 22 potential allergic reactions to the first 39,000 doses of Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines given to health care providers at Stanford soon after the vaccines received emergency use authorization from the Food and Drug Administration.

Most of those in the study who developed reactions were allergic to an ingredient that helps stabilize the COVID-19 vaccines; they did not show allergies to the vaccine components that provide immunity to the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Furthermore, these allergic reactions occurred via an indirect activation of allergy pathways, which makes them easier to mitigate than many allergic responses.
Allergies to mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines rare, generally mild, study finds

This is good news. A minor question, but I wonder if the dosing for this age group will be different?

Yes, it will be different. From what I recall reading, the original tested dosage for these kids was lower than the regular dosage, and then they decided to go even lower because the immune response in the younger children is so strong.

I have friends and family who are so eager for this kids vaccine. My neighbor is in her early sixties, so she won't be eligible for the booster. She teaches elementary school, has young grandchildren, and was vaccinated back in January and February. She cannot wait for this kids vaccine.

Yes, it will be different. From what I recall reading, the original tested dosage for these kids was lower than the regular dosage, and then they decided to go even lower because the immune response in the younger children is so strong.

I have friends and family who are so eager for this kids vaccine. My neighbor is in her early sixties, so she won't be eligible for the booster. She teaches elementary school, has young grandchildren, and was vaccinated back in January and February. She cannot wait for this kids vaccine.

Seems to me she is in a high risk group dealing with lots of unvaccinated people daily.

Your neighbor does qualify for the booster due to her high risk of exposure job.

Seems to me she is in a high risk group dealing with lots of unvaccinated people daily.

Given the relatively large number of vaccinated people in this country, that would seem to suggest that anyone who deals with a lot of people on a daily basis would be high risk. That's a lot of people.

A minor question, but I wonder if the dosing for this age group will be different?

Looks like there’s an answer:

It used a lower dose of the vaccine than the one currently being administered, because earlier studies showed that the adult dose could cause more side effects. Adults receive two 30 microgram doses of the vaccine three weeks apart. In school-aged children, this was lowered to 10 micrograms.

And the better news:

Pfizer and its partner BioNTech said Monday that they would file for authorization of their Covid-19 vaccine for use in children after clinical trial results showed encouraging antibody levels in volunteers and side effects similar to those in teens and young adults.

The pediatric study, in children ages 5 to 11, is the first to disclose results in young children.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/09/20/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-children/

Given the relatively large number of vaccinated people in this country, that would seem to suggest that anyone who deals with a lot of people on a daily basis would be high risk. That's a lot of people.

Yes, a lot of people are in that category when there is high community spread.

I anticipate everyone will need a booster shot.

I'm also a realist, and can see that not everyone will get one out of personal choice.

Back
Top Bottom