Poll:Workplace requirements

In what areas does your workplace have COVID requirements?

• Masks

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Vaccines

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Testing

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Social distancing

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Contact tracing

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t work so didn’t vote but did check in with my son on his workplace. They don’t require any Covid precautions although all of his workmates are double vaxed. (It’s a small office with <20 staff)

No workplace so I skipped the poll to avoid skewing the results. My old workplace has remote work, masks, and a vaccine mandate.

I don't w*rk either but visit the old family business often. No one wears masks - except customers who wish to. In the summer and winter the place is closed up most of the time (either AC or heat). In spring and fall, every thing is pretty much open and it's almost like being outside except no sun. I have not heard about any Covid transmission due to the w*rkplace but YMMV.

A new factor coming: the federal requirement that kicks in for federal employees and federal contractors. It’s very broad, and many employees of a company (or state or local government) will be brought into the federal requirement because of federal contracts with their employer. The federal contracts executed starting sometime in November, and some contracts before then, will require vaccinated employees, and there are also some strict mask mandates. It’s not just the employees who are doing the contracted work, it’s basically any other employees who might interact with them, even if just in the stairwell or lobby. Amazingly broad language. It will be interesting to watch it play out. Some types and smaller dollar amount contracts are exempt, but it will still cover a lot of employees who don’t work for the federal government.

Am retired but considering that my last place of employment was a children’s hospital, I am certain they have strict mandates.

I was in retail management and still drop in on occasion to see friends, and some of them call or text often. So far the Co. is only requiring masks and social distance. They put up Plexiglas at all POS contacts and employees are supposed to stay 6 feet from customers on the floor. BUT as time has gone on they are very lax on that as I have observed lately. Since I'm no longer responsible for them it's not my monkey--so I just keep quiet and go about my business!!!

Large multi national company that I retired from is requiring vaccinations by November 15th in the USA or else hit the road!

During Jan-March of this year when I was back on call--everything, and "other" was remote work for those who could.
this was a public health dept.

My old employer has had remote work in place for all 130-ish employees since 3/13/20. No firm return-to-campus date has been determined, but definitely not before 2022.

A tiny handful of folks are permitted or required to be on campus occasionally, but they have to prove they can't do the work from home. While on campus they must mask and social distance (although it's unlikely there are more than two people on campus at a time).

Whenever they do finally bring folks back, under a "hybrid" model, a vaccine mandate will be in effect - including boosters. No word on what they will do if people refuse or ask for exemptions.

One unvaccinated employee (mid-60s) just got out of the ICU yesterday. He appears to be improving.

I worked for a non-profit in the health care industry, and the senior management team is made up of physicians, so they err on the side of caution in every way, fortunately for my friends and co-w#rkers who still work there.

Currently w*rk for a hospital system. All on the list are required. Even social distancing in the cafeteria/break rooms.

What about "staying remote" - most big places that can, are, at least the ones my friends tell me about.

It's all really not something we can poll effectively, because geography and function are a thing. If you are a car manufacturing plant or sales dealership, you have to be in person. But if you're a tech office, or a call center, you don't.

State and local guidelines are also a factor, which we know vary widely throughout the country, never mind the rest of the world. I'm sure Canada and the UK are very different but have their own variety too.

Very true. And add business reality. Organizationally, my employer has never been a fan of remote work or working from home routinely. Now with vacancies around 25% or more and people resigning as they are told they must return to the office or get vaccinated, management has had to realize their power to set policies is greatly diminished.

And I'm not convinced when things eventually return to "normal" it will be anything like before. This pandemic has caused many people to rethink their lives and many are choosing to live in smaller towns closer to family, retire early, and so forth. I am able to work from home much of the time now. If I were not I would just retire. I've had many colleagues who have left to work for competitors who offered more generous working conditions. This is in just the last 3-6 months.

Maybe this is a bit beyond the scope of the original question but I think there are two areas employers are concerned with right now - infection control and recruiting/retention. At this point infection control is the simplest part of the problem but most of the options dealt with that.

Some other things we are doing:
- meetings still mostly held by zoom even though many of us are at work.
- windows and doors kept open to greatly increase ventilation (it's Hawaii, not so easy in Chicago)
- restrictions on common areas like lounges (maybe covered by social distancing but going beyond that)
- meetings held outside in tents
- restrictions on visitors, vendors, contractors, and notification for each that is on site
- very restricted business travel
- notification requirements for personal travel or attending gatherings over a handful of people (10)
- more frequent (4 times/day) cleaning of lounge areas and places where people congregate like coffee stations

I don't have an issue with any of this and most fall in the general categories of the questions. I'm just saying the details of the things we are doing go way beyond a pamphlet on social distancing and word about contact tracing if someone is positive.

We had a few positive cases earlier this year and it created a lot of chaos because the state is of little help in contact tracing so I think what we are doing is a little overkill because of overreaction. But nevertheless distilling it down to that short list is oversimplifying!

Edit: Forgot to include temperature checks every morning and hand sanitizer stations all over the place!

Last edited:
Whenever they do finally bring folks back, under a "hybrid" model, a vaccine mandate will be in effect - including boosters. No word on what they will do if people refuse or ask for exemptions.

I have mixed feelings about whether an employer should be allowed to compel vaccination. But given the Supreme Court's recent rulings on the issue I think the handwriting is on the wall. Employers can require it so I think most will. United Airlines has already started termination proceedings against anyone not vaccinated. Recently the County of Honolulu apprehended a cop while on patrol, relieved him of his gun and badge on the spot, and notified him he would be fired. He was 1 year short of retirement. He decided to roll up his sleeve.

It's funny because much of my career I worked for a state university. Students were required to have a measles vaccination but staff were not. I was always told that was because employers were barred by federal law from requiring employees to be vaccinated. When I signed up for a class though, I had to get a measles booster!

I think those who do not have a good medical reason will be accommodated. I do not think we will see the same tolerance for religious exemptions. No major world religion objects to vaccines as a matter of general doctrine. I understand many evangelical Christians object to SOME vaccines because cells from aborted fetuses were used in their development. I respect that. But I learned today that only one of the major vaccines used in the US has any ties to past abortions. So I suspect the courts will support only medical exemptions in the end. Those who object to the abortion ties can simply get a different vaccine.

Thanks for the interesting discussion. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom