Shopping and restocking updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my weekly shopping at Safeway today. Most things were well stocked, though pasta, rice, and soups were still low. Meats, breads, and canned goods were mostly back to normal, and they even had a dozen or so packs of toilet paper on the shelves. I bought one pack and it will probably be the last we'll need for several weeks.

The only things I noticed were still missing were flour and yeast. Thankfully, I found some flour at the local country store last week so I didn't need that.

The registers all had plastic sneeze shields between the customer and the checker, and signs were fixed to the floor at six foot intervals to remind people to keep their distance. The number of people in the store was about what it normally was before this all started.

The last couple of times I ordered for online delivery from Walmart I had to order, say, at 1:00 AM on Wednesday morning to get a Thursday delivery slot. But, today at noon, I was adding to my cart and found they had open slots for Thursday so I got one.

Foods are still limited to 2. There are no paper products. On a lot of things, they were in stock when I put the item in my cart but gone when I went to make my order. I mostly am allowing substitutions (except for a few items). There is no toilet paper or paper towels available (we are good for another month or so anyway). Still, most of what I wanted I can get or at least get something reasonably similar.

I had read that grocery store traffic in the stores is down this week. Apparently people stocked up last week and the week before and don't need to shop as much now. However, if you want to get things like toilet paper, paper towels, disinfectant, or hand sanitizer you basically have to go to the store and check. I don't like having to repeatedly do that knowing that 95% of the time you will fail. But, that stuff is never available online. It isn't urgent for us right now so we aren't checking. But in another month it will be urgent so I hope supply is better then.

I did our weekly shopping this morning.

Went to Costco senior hour. Again got to the entrance at 7:30. Maybe 40 people total were waiting to go in. Like last week, they opened early, this time at 7:35. I did not need any paper goods, but checked out of curiosity. No TP but lots of paper towels. Everything we needed was well stocked.

It was not crowded, but when I left (got out before 8) there was a line of folks outside waiting to go in. By the time I loaded my car the line was gone. I think they are trying to manage the total number of shoppers in the store.

After Costco, went to a supermarket for things we did not need in bulk quantities. No TP, flushable wipes in stock, 2 rolls of paper towels looking sad and lonely on the shelf ("Take me! Why won't somebody take me?"). Probably 80% level of fresh fruits and vegetables. Canned goods, drinks, snacks seemed at normal levels.

The supermarket had signs that they were hiring for par time help. Our friend's child who works at Costo says the warehouses are also been hiring temporary workers.

I wore my current protection "outfit". I received more smiles and grins than frightened and worried stares.

Attachments

• 20200401-covid-mask-100_3191a.jpg
    20200401-covid-mask-100_3191a.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 67
Our governor just issued another executive order requiring additional measures at the grocery store, which include:

1. No more than 50% of capacity allowed inside. Enforced at the door.
2. Staff must sanitize cart handles between uses.
3. 6 ft spacing marks on the floors.
4. No self serve (e.g. - salad bar) or samples.
5. One way aisles to smooth flow and spread people out.
6. Use only every other checkout line.
7. Plexiglas shield between cashier and customers.
8. All staff masked and gloved.
9. Only one shopper per family

Most stores were already doing this.

Our governor just issued another executive order requiring additional measures at the grocery store, which include:

All that’s good except for the one shopper per family. Me and DW really like shopping together. Not that it’s fun, but more efficient if we’re both there.

Now that he's home, DW values the assistance of our kid when shopping...maybe he can be her "service animal?" :)

EDIT: everything we wanted in stock this morning except for Cholula...I'll try ordering it online.

Why not, nobody can see who it is.
Imagine going into a bank with that on :confused: , can a person still go into a bank these days ?

Went to the bank a couple of days ago to break some $100 bills...wore an N95, gloves, and kept my sunglasses on...they didn't bat an eye. Doorman at the door controlling number of people in the bank. When I left there were 3 people waiting outside.

To me that sounds wonderful! I hope our governor hears about it and puts the same rules in place here in Louisiana.

Well, bear in mind that I have not been to a grocery store since all this began, so maybe some of that already is in place and I didn't know about it. Still, these rules would surely lessen my fears that are keeping me from going to the store.

Did you seriously wear that? :D:LOL:

Yes indeed. I just was sure to walk at a normal pace and not make any sudden moves. No one thought someone wearing that but wiping down a cart and pushing it around was any threat. Even the person checking for Costco IDs at the door just laughed, I gave them a thumbs up. :)

Why not, nobody can see who it is.
Imagine going into a bank with that on :confused: , can a person still go into a bank these days ?

Our local bank branch is now "by appointment only". I would warn them ahead of time if I chose to wear this. I might have to at least remove the googles before they let me in. :D

Just to share an international perspective..... supermarkets here where I am in Uruguay are well stocked and other than a restriction on how many packages of toilet paper you could buy, (6 packages of 4 rolls is quite a lot!) there are no restrictions or shortages.

Not crowded so keeping a 2 meter space is easy, they sanitize the cart handle when you go to take it and ask you to use the provided hand sanitizer when you enter and leave.

As this was all starting we considered returning to summer house in the US as the US govt recommended but chose not too. Best decision we ever made!

You all stay safe!

Not mine. ATMs and drive up only these days.

Yep, and inside access (e.g. to get to your safe deposit box) is "by appointment only."

And only one branch per city of the smaller bank I use is operating at all...the rest are closed.

So I have to give WalMart some love today. DH needed a RX refill and I had an online grocery order.

Rx pull to designed area at the front of the store. Call pharmacy number tell them you are outside waiting. Seamless and quick..one bad thing have to pay with a card, couldn't pay for when doing the refill. Immediately tell the grocery app I am here about 10 minutes before the start of my stated hour for pickup. Drive to the grocery area and load up. They will now sign the pickup acknowledgment so you dont have to touch their machine.

Total time in parking lot around 7 minutes and I got everything I ordered for food..

WalMart has its act together.

Went to Costco just before senior hours and parking lot about 1/2 full with line extending for about 100-150ft. Once they allowed entry line moved very fast. They were doing counts on entry and exit and I think limit was 100 people.
The store was very well stocked. Plenty of TP and paper rolls. They were out of disinfectants.

When I first got in line a Costco employee was telling line that 3pm time frame store was much less crowded.

2 weeks earlier it was a Mad Max experience.

I just got my first at home delivery from Winn Dixie. Worked out pretty well. I ordered late yesterday afternoon and got it this morning. Out of 24 items only eggs and towels were out of stock. I figured toilet paper would be a long shot but got a 12 pak of Cottonelle tissue. So at least I got the backside covered. ;) Some fees included but worth it for now.

One roll of paper towels lasts me for a few months, but I was getting a little low on it. The paper towels shelves had been pretty barren lately, but just today they not only had a few but had my type, the "short sheet" roll that I guess most people don't want to buy. So, I'm set for at least 5 months. :)

Raleigh, NC

Went early to Lidl and Publix today. Had few customers which is what I was hoping for. Was able to get everything on my list except frozen fruit. Wiped out. Both stores had no TP or paper towels. Meat was more plentiful than it has been.

I'm really trying to limit grocery shopping. My family of 4 is set for 3 weeks.

As the case count continues to rise in Wake County I may start ordering online in 3 weeks.

As the case count continues to rise in Wake County I may start ordering online in 3 weeks.

Don't bother with Publix. DW ordered online and when she arrived, she was told to come inside and get the groceries.

She refused and is now fighting them as the credit was debited.

Our Harris Teeter on-line order, in contrast, was a dream. We just didn't get any meat items.

After watching a bunch of videos from medical experts and reading dozens of articles on the internet, I’ve reached the conclusion that there is no reason for us to avoid going to the grocery stores. There is very little evidence that viral transmission is occurring from trips to the stores. And we are not seeing a widespread infection rate among the employees who work at these stores all day long five days a week.

Every medical expert is now providing consistent advice. Stay six feet apart. Don’t touch your face while out of your home. Wash your hands frequently. If you follow this advice you will be at a very low risk of getting infected.

Everyone has to do what feels comfortable for them. But I think as this shutdown continues on for months at a time people are going to relook at some of the things they are doing now and realize that they are overreacting a bit.

Wearing a mask while shopping is a good idea. But not to protect you from the virus. It’s to protect others from you in case you cough or sneeze and release droplets onto surfaces. But again, even if others do this, you will be fine as long as you don’t touch your face and frequently wash your hands. So the mask is to protect others from you, not the other way around.

Tried Aldi home delivery for the 1st time this morning. They use Instacart. I was surprised how cheap and easy it was. When I started there was a same day delivery slot which cost $4 extra and the service fee and tip was only $5. By the time I got to checkout the same day slot was gone and the soonest available was next day. I placed a $50 order and raised the tip from 5% to $10. I thought another service I looked at charged a hefty membership fee. A couple hours later I got a notification that my order was being shipped. I got real time updates on out of stock items and a chance to request substitutes. As I post an update came that delivery will be in 30 min. I put a cooler on the porch for them. Oh wait they just rang the bell.

Arrived at Costco 8 am for the "senior time" Must have bee 200 seniors there before us in a cattle gate line all around the parking lot. Did get paper towels and TP, 1 each to a customer loaded by staff into your cart, keep the line moving please. Got back home at 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom