Shopping and restocking updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did a second round of shopping this afternoon, this time at the local Publix / Greenwise. What a difference. Not many people, the shelves were well stocked. Just a few things missing. Not all the brands we prefer, but this looks like it will be our new go-to for the present.

Was in my local grocer yesterday about 4pm. TP right on display as you walked in. Limited to 2 six-packs. All meat was available, fresh fish, chicken, etc. Not as many meat options as a month ago, but some of each major protein was available. Limits on purchases for these items still in place. Slightly less people shopping, but more than average working. A week ago the meat was nearly all gone. Butter, eggs, milk all available. Not sure about baking supplies - I didn't need, so I didn't look. Tried to minimize my time in the store.
Seems to be on track to get back to normal around here. Southwest Chicagoland.

I ordered 200 Antibacterial Hand Wipes from Amazon on March 6th for 6 cents each. Delivery was delayed, but they are actually shipped and are arriving Thursday March 26th.

I'm in Pittsburgh. I'm being cautious, so I wanted to use ALDI delivery. (ALDIs is a national discount grocery store.) I've read online about lines and people having to go to multiple stores to get what they needed and I definitely didn't want to be exposed in that way.

Last week there were many items that were not available at ALDIs, but there seemed to be delivery slots available typically within two days. I still had food, so I didn't place an order.

On Sunday March 22nd there was no delivery slots available at all. On Monday (3/23) morning the first available delivery was Saturday afternoon (3/27), so I took that slot. This works for me because I still have some veggies left and really don't need food until Saturday. I was able to order chicken and eggs and other items that were not available last week.

ALDIs lets you update your order until they start filling it and they allow me to specify replacement items for everything. Almost everything is listed as having limited inventory. I'll see what I end up getting on Saturday.

Here in suburban Atlanta, the kitchen/bathroom paper products shortage continues in full force, but now I'm also noticing some persistent shortages in other areas. For example, low stocks of butter/margarine, veggie burgers, frozen pizzas, canned veggies, and milk. On the positive side, ample supplies of bread, chips, cereal, cheese, and fresh veggies/fruits.

I think I'm going to start venturing out to more off-the-beaten path places, like a new Lidl that opened recently a few miles west of me. Also, gonna start checking places like Big Lots and Family Dollar for things such as paper towels (which I'm going to need fairly soon).

I just left Walmart about an hour ago (2 PM). Medium busy store. I had to pick up one of DW's prescriptions.

I had to wait so I did some grocery shopping. Bought Johnsonville Brats (2 packs), Hamburg (frozen patties), sliced Provolone cheese, Yogurt, a head of lettuce. some tomatoes, 18 pack of 3 ply TP, a gallon of distilled water (for DW's O2 maker), and 6 40 pound bags of black mulch.

No craziness going on, the store looked and felt normal.
How close are you to the heavily populated areas? The Walmart stores and Costco in Cedar Park, along with the HEB stores in Cedar Park and Leander are always short wanted items, and the Costco and HEB stores usually have lines out the door much of the day.

People lost their minds here weeks ago, and it hasn't let up much since. Most stores in the area have now implemented a limit to certain items because if they hadn't, people here would have continued their panic buying. The stores are well away from Austin, so I don't get the panic.

Last edited:
I ordered 200 Antibacterial Hand Wipes from Amazon on March 6th for 6 cents each. Delivery was delayed, but they are actually shipped and are arriving Thursday March 26th.
Ditto here. I found an alcohol based wipe that said stock was due in in April but I received them today. All the popular brands like Chlorox wipes looked even more backed up.

I’m in DC on Capitol Hill. My DIL has been in the nearby Giant and Harris Teeter and both were close to normal. I have been to Eastern Market- a block long building with butchers, seafood, deli, etc and they were normally stocked. Trader Joe’s had a small line as they limited how many people could be inside but DIL says they are well stocked. The Costco is reportedly slammed. I’m not planning to find out for myself.

Tell me that A. Litteri and Son is doing well and that it has plenty of olives, aged provolone and imported meats and cheeses.

Our local grocery store was running low on quite a bit so we used Instacart delivery and placed a big order with a restaurant supply store. We didn't get everything we ordered but we did get at least half so we're well stocked for now.

Went to WM in OKC today. Not crowded at all and overall was well stocked. No TP, low quantity of "cheap easy food" (like Chef Boyardee) and not a large selection of bread. Plenty of normals staples...fruits, veggies, all meats, milk, etc. It wad almost like a normal shopping trip.

I got out early today, and went to Walmart, 2 Publix's and finally Kroger. It took all the stores to finish my shopping list--toilet paper and yeast.

Only Kroger had either. I never thought stores would sell out of an obscure item like yeast. And Kroger had plenty of toilet paper--a big thing to some.

And it was a torrential downpour that kept the public away--and me soaked.

In two grocery stores today. Reasonably busy. People keeping their distance. Both well stocked. Lots of toilet paper and not that many people buying it. Really wouldn't have noticed much of a difference from two months ago to now. Certainly great produce, meats and bakery selections. I didn't check for disinfectant wipes. All seemed pretty normal. Looks can be deceiving I guess.

Had a pharmacy pickup so went by local small town Walmart late afternoon. They had plenty of eggs and no limit - yay. Grabbed some eggs and they also had water - we need drinking water. Saw someone stocking store brand paper towels.

So we can indulge in our normal 2 doz eggs per week habit at least for this coming week.

Lots of rumors of folks coming out to our smaller rural towns to stock up on hard to find items. I hope people can stop traveling domestically.

I went to the Jacksonville, Fl Costco yesterday morning before senior hour and the line was already wrapped down the side of the building and down the back parking lot with people arriving nonstop. I stayed in the car for an hour and decided to leave. Never saw the inside but I did see almost every cart during that time with TP and water and usually a few various other items. I went primarily to get a couple of bags of cat food to feed our inside 2 and a couple of outside feral cats that come by everyday. Then what ever I could find. I was going to try again today but think I will wait until next week when they have senior hour again. We have some canned items (plenty of beans), a few collards still growing in a few containers, and a few things in the refrigerator so good for a couple of weeks. Also have a bag of catfood. Water we get from the faucet. If necessary the shower is next to the toilet if we run out of TP. :D All is good for now.

Cheers!

Tell me that A. Litteri and Son is doing well and that it has plenty of olives, aged provolone and imported meats and cheeses.
I haven't been in a while but it has been flourishing and is probably open. I'm not sure how they would deal with the lines at the deli - maybe phone orders only? If you are long gone you would be amazed at the changes in this area. Union Market is a major attraction.

I tried sameday.costco.com which partnered with instacart, a couple of days with no delivery slots available.

Today, I got up at 5AM, and submitted my orders. I was given the first delivery date 5 days away on Monday. Good enough for me. I will get some eggs, banana, apples, bread, and kiwi fruits.

I am in Southern California.

Boca Raton, FL:

Still very hit and miss. Won't find TP/Towels unless you get their right as they get a delivery (publix, costco, etc.). Meats better, not great.

For me, as an indicator on when stock levels are normalized, I look a this bath tissue list on Costco. once it starts showing in stock most of the time, it will be normal. As it is, a few products show in stock for a couple hours then out again for a week:

https://www.costco.com/paper-products-food-storage.html

Chicago in the city N. side.

We have been holed up a while. We have had 2 pickup groceries appointments so far, and one delivery to home. Minor substitution for a couple things like a generic for a brand name on cereal, all the veggies came sealed. We have a small amount of stuff more than normal on hand but within reason. We kind of buy weekly and have always had a little extra on hand. Son says I have always leaned a little prepper. Have another pickup scheduled Saturday. Hope for coke hope for coke...

I recently ran into an empty convenience store yesterday as spouse was craving a diet coke and I was out getting a couple hundred cash extra. I was wearing gloves carrying a disinfectant wipe and got 3 giving the clerk cash and told him to keep the change.
It seemed fully stocked. My first time out of apartment in ~2 weeks other than mail box run.

I had picked up a month or so extra supply of tp and paper towels early on and have offered to share with family who were traveling for work. Found disinfectant wipes at a dollar store a month or two ago when shelves were full and bought 5 or 6 and have given away several to friends and relatives. Had a few masks that I have also shared with friends and family who had to go out.

Regarding non critical purchases funny how that is working. Amazon delivered a seam ripper kit quickly like in a day.

Staples promised an Epson printer/scanner and said expect it next day free shipping when I bought it (delivery on 24th). Didn't come and not even sent to shipping on 24th. Per tracking shipped mar 25 to arrive 26th by ups. Old printer has been a workhorse and this is a newer smaller faster version of it on sale for 1/4 of what I paid for the old one.. go figure.

Have some Ebay stuff like DVDs dribbling in seems USPS still working.

Have a keyboard coming from new egg software shipped but to expect 5-7 day delivery from California.

Tampa Bay area.

Just came home from a bicycle ride. Made an impulse stop at Aldi. No hand sanitizer, of course. But pretty well stocked on most everything else we saw, including fresh produce, on a quick trip through the aisles.

I ordered on Amazon (I'm in New York City) orange juice (unrefrigerated Tropicana in 10oz plastic bottles) and envelopes. Last night the estimated delivery date was May 4. Today it was changed to May 14.

Earlier today, around 9:30am, I was able to find a 6-pack of paper towels at a nearby Big Lots store. They also had a decent stock of TP, but they were completely sold out of disinfecting wipes and kitchen/surface disinfecting spray. I think I'll be able to get some of those wipes and sprays eventually if I keep checking back there around 9:00am every few days.

Last edited:
I made an emergency trip to our local, small grocery in Louisville, KY today. The wife was out of avocados, so we were in crisis mode in our house. Sunday the grocery was pretty bare. Today, it's very well stocked. Even several packages of toilet paper on the shelves. I was really surprised they got the place that well stocked so fast. Lots of bread, lunch meat, vegetables, etc.. The food hoarding may be about over.

I just got an instacart order . Several substitutions but I got lots of meat , napkins ,eggs, bread and one package of frozen vegetables .No beans except canned .I got toilet paper from Amazon yesterday .So we are set !

The online stores like Walmart and Amazon are starting to get toilet paper in stock again. Usually it is off brands and large dispenser sized rolls but may be better no TP at all if your area is out of stock.

Did my first Walmart Grocery pickup time was 4pm - 5 pm.
they emailed me at 4pm to say it was ready.
I went and while there are about 10 parking spots, only 2 others were being used and they were nearly done when I arrived.
There were 4 items out of stock , and one substitute (nearly same and same brand).

I had 3 boxes set in the side of the van, so the guy just put them all in there.
I did see another couple, who said it was their first time using the service, both get out and stand beside the worker, while she handed the bags of stuff to the man :facepalm:

One issue I had was I don't have data on the phone, their backup is their app says to phone them to say I was there. I would have preferred texting them when I was there.

When I got home, I simply picked up the boxes as only "infected" inside them, and wearing gloves sprayed everything with bleach mixture in the sink and then rinsed off the bleach and put everything away, and washed my hands.

A few canned items, I left in 1 box and will let them age out the virus as they are not needed for a long time.

How close are you to the heavily populated areas? The Walmart stores and Costco in Cedar Park, along with the HEB stores in Cedar Park and Leander are always short wanted items, and the Costco and HEB stores usually have lines out the door much of the day.

People lost their minds here weeks ago, and it hasn't let up much since. Most stores in the area have now implemented a limit to certain items because if they hadn't, people here would have continued their panic buying. The stores are well away from Austin, so I don't get the panic.

We are in a heavily populated area. There are eight Super Walmarts in a 15 mile radius of us. :eek: One Costco though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom