Spreads so easily......

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin's 20 year old daughter has been in the hospital with Covid for five days now. They think she has finally turned a corner and will hopefully be released soon. Her oxygen sats were down to 80 even with supplemental oxygen and lying prone. So much for the much touted "young people don't really get sick with this bug."

I placed an order Sunday.
They are sold out and won't be able to ship more masks until mid-February.
The masks I ordered will be shipping this week.
It appears all that publicity helped them.
Good for them!

Great article. We really need to be less dependent on foreign countries, especially those with authoritarian governments, for so much of our medical needs. Most of our meds either come from foreign sources or require materials that come from foreign sources. And many of these sources don't play well with others.

Back to the topic, I just ordered some N95 masks that are Swiss made. Had I seen the article about the Texas mask makers earlier, I would have order those Texas made masks.

Last edited:
Aside from N95 masks, people should keep pulse oximeters, blood pressure monitors, and digital thermometers at home. They are relatively inexpensive and can provide critical advanced information to treat ailments.

Anyone who is feeling good about how vaccines are going to bring an end to this pandemic later this year might want to skip this article:

Why Scientists Are Very Worried About The Variant From Brazil

The P.1. variant appears to be reinfecting people, spreading rapidly in a population where 75% had Covid in 2020 and should have herd immunity. This indicates the variant may be evading the antibodies made against the previous version of the virus, which could render the new vaccines far less effective.

Bottom line:

...we'll need to design different vaccines that are targeting different parts of the virus — ones that the virus finds harder to change."

This process is going to cost the world a great deal of money — and take time, [virologist Ravi] Gupta adds. "I don't think there's going to be a single solution that just comes along in 2021 that says, 'That's it, we're done.'

"The coronavirus is going to cause a long-term disruption."

Anyone who is feeling good about how vaccines are going to bring an end to this pandemic later this year might want to skip this article:

The P.1. variant appears to be reinfecting people, spreading rapidly in a population where 75% had Covid in 2020 and should have herd immunity. This indicates the variant may be evading the antibodies made against the previous version of the virus, which could render the new vaccines far less effective.

Bottom line:

If you've got any more good news for us, keep it to yourself! :facepalm::LOL::flowers:

Bottom line:

I'm not going to worry about this now, is this your light bedtime reading!:LOL: On a down note international travel might be a non starter for a long time. .cruising might be dead.

Some encouraging signs are that more people are wearing N95 and other multi-layer masks. I noticed that many politicians are now wearing 3M Aura N95 masks instead of cloth masks. If more people wore two surgical masks or multi-layer N95 or KN9 masks properly, we could finally bring this pandemic under control.

We heard the news that a long-time acquaintance died of Covid. We have not seen him since the funeral of my father which was 17 years ago.

From what we heard, he might be one of the pandemic deniers, went to parties without fear, and even political rallies too. It's ironic that he had to die when they now have the vaccine. Well, he might be an anti-vaxxer too, who knows?

Speaking of vaccine, we drove my mother-in-law to a place to get a shot. It was being given to healthcare workers, and people who are 75+. The operation was very well run, and with many policemen and even National Guardsmen. The rest are mostly volunteers.

I asked and was told that the law enforcers were there in case people stirred up trouble. I could not understand what trouble it could be until I read in the news that in LA there were anti-vaxxers disrupting a vaccine operation there.

Last edited:
I'm not going to worry about this now, is this your light bedtime reading!:LOL: On a down note international travel might be a non starter for a long time. .cruising might be dead.

Oh man! I don't know if I will live long enough for international travel to renormalize. Or I may just be too old then.

That's sad. Travel is about the only indulgence I have for myself.

What do I do to entertain myself? I may just buy another home with an acreage lot, and spend the rest of my life putting up more solar panels.

with the new variants in over 30 States, do we need to rename this thread "spreads so much easier......" :cool:

Oh man! I don't know if I will live long enough for international travel to renormalize. Or I may just be too old then.

That's sad. Travel is about the only indulgence I have for myself.

What do I do to entertain myself? I may just buy another home with an acreage lot, and spend the rest of my life putting up more solar panels.
That sounds so much like our thoughts. We are already close to being past the kind of travel we worked and saved for all those years. We have always backpacked/camped, taken horse back excursions, bicycled through countries, etc. and that is coming to a close. We have been on cruises for quick relaxing trips to scout out future trips but those stopped a some years ago and we are not interested in touring in a bus.
During the past year I have bicycled in the neighborhood at sunrise and read more than 70 books while my wife has entertained herself with doubles tennis in strictly enforced masked and distancing rules off court and playing video games that I find for her. I'm not happy to think this is what the end of our life will be as we slowly become limited to rocking chairs and travel shows on Netflix.
It really angers me when I get groceries and see people either without masks and/or wearing them below their noses while ignoring social distancing, and gathering in large groups. I consider it like waving a gun in my face by a person who doesn't care about anyone else. They have caused the pandemic to get out of control with their apathetic and indifferent attitude, the cause of the death of so many people, and the disruption of the economy and school system.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Here’s an interesting podcast with Dr. Gottlieb on the corona virus and near future. Also some speculation on what corona virus has taught us about national security vulnerabilities.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...rning-the-corner/id1539292794?i=1000507009319

He thinks that within two months the vaccine supply problem will be a demand problem. :confused::confused: Let’s hope so.

And somewhere on the Web today, I saw the headline of an article saying that with the current rate of vaccination, it will take 7 years for life around the world to be back to its pre-Covid way. However, rich Western countries will not take that long.

U.S. science officials such as Anthony Fauci have suggested it will take 70% to 85% coverage of the population for things to return to normal. Bloomberg’s Vaccine Tracker shows that some countries are making far more rapid progress than others, using 75% coverage with a two-dose vaccine as a target.

Israel, the country with the highest vaccination rate in the world, is headed for 75% coverage in just two months. The U.S. will get there just in time to ring in the 2022 New Year (though North Dakota could get there six months sooner than Texas).

See: https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/02...to-normal-in-7-years-at-todays-vaccine-rates/

And somewhere on the Web today, I saw the headline of an article saying that with the current rate of vaccination, it will take 7 years for life around the world to be back to its pre-Covid way. However, rich Western countries will not take that long.

I'm not sure what we are to do with that information. With the exception of the 7 years (I would have guessed maybe 2), it's what you would expect. My guess would still be 2 years, but I have no basis for that. Maybe the 1918 pandemic would be instructive. IIRC it burned out in about 2 years (NO vaccine for rich or poor) but do not quote me. My mom and her family all had it. She showed me the grave markers of "great" generation relatives I never had a chance to know. Oddly, my dad never spoke of it. I suppose other tragedies crowded out the 1918 flu memories. YMMV

Here’s an interesting podcast with Dr. Gottlieb on the corona virus and near future. Also some speculation on what corona virus has taught us about national security vulnerabilities.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...rning-the-corner/id1539292794?i=1000507009319

He thinks that within two months the vaccine supply problem will be a demand problem. :confused::confused: Let’s hope so.
I really like listening to Dr. Scott. This is a worthwhile listen. If you don't have the time, just go to minute 5 in the podcast and he discusses this supply/demand issue at that time. This interview is from Jan 29. He says in 4 to 6 weeks, he expects there will be an inflection point and the authorities will be shifting to trying to get people enrolled. The interviewer challenges him on this because he says: "In our world, everyone is struggling to get signed up and get the vaccine. So, really?" And Dr. Scott comes back and says, yes. It is going to shift and people may be surprised. I hope so.

I thought it was because J & J will come on line at this time. He addresses that, including J & J's probable back loaded deliveries. Even if they are back loaded, he still insists come April or so, we'll be surprised at availability.

I hope he is right.

He also adds a few other points:
- There is angst because states have developed a system with "friction" in it, because supply is so low. People are feeling the "friction," i.e. calling 1000 times to get an appointment.
- The current population of older folks are highly motivated to get it. They see the statistics. This is likely to not follow once the other populations get on line.
- General availability will be a must-have by sometime in spring (i.e. states release the friction). Basically, he is saying people will just have to go show up and get it. He is concerned states have focused on creating friction and are going to have to pivot away from that and get shots in arms, because the doses will be available.
- States are focusing on under-served population. That's ok, but a dual system should be in place. General availability and a focused effort for under-served populations, otherwise distribution will continue to have too much friction (he addresses this at about minute 29).

He says in 4 to 6 weeks, he expects there will be an inflection point and the authorities will be shifting to trying to get people enrolled. ...
I hope he is right.

I like him too, but still... at the beginning of Jan he said on twitter that by the end of Feb everyone who wants a vaccine should be able to get one. That is most definitely not happening, so he might be a bit too optimistic.

But yeah if the J&J one gets out in high volume we could see things come together. I'll still be happy if I can get one by the end of May, and I think that's unlikely.

I like him too, but still... at the beginning of Jan he said on twitter that by the end of Feb everyone who wants a vaccine should be able to get one. That is most definitely not happening, so he might be a bit too optimistic.

But yeah if the J&J one gets out in high volume we could see things come together. I'll still be happy if I can get one by the end of May, and I think that's unlikely.

Well, after someone slapped my wrist for being pessimistic about the J & J rollout, I was trying to channel some optimism from Dr. Scott. :)

I keep saying for me it will be June, because J & J have committed 100M doses by end of June, and I believe most will be delivered in May and June and not earlier. Still, even with that kind of slower rollout, Dr. Scott is optimistic. Let's hope he is right!

I
I hope he is right.

- There is angst because states have developed a system with "friction" in it, because supply is so low. People are feeling the "friction," i.e. calling 1000 times to get an appointment.

Yes, the friction is indeed a huge issue. I think if Joe and Jane Citizen knew that their shots were March 18 and April 24, they would be a lot happier even though they have a few more months to wait. Some people have shot #1 and can't find a shot #2. They are going through the agonizing, stressful process of trying to find a shot all over again. Really?

If you listen to the podcast below, one thing that stands out is how well organized the system of getting the shots was and is in Israel. In most of the USA it's Festival Seating all over again. :( I gather that Canada is about the same. :(

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...ccination-nation/id1539292794?i=1000505121068

Yes, the friction is indeed a huge issue. I think if Joe and Jane Citizen knew that their shots were March 18 and April 24, they would be a lot happier even though they have a few more months to wait. Some people have shot #1 and can't find a shot #2. They are going through the agonizing, stressful process of trying to find a shot all over again. Really?

If you listen to the podcast below, one thing that stands out is how well organized the system of getting the shots was and is in Israel. In most of the USA it's Festival Seating all over again. :( I gather that Canada is about the same. :(

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...ccination-nation/id1539292794?i=1000505121068

I have not heard of anyone here in NC who got the first shot who has not been able to get the second shot. When you get the first shot you are given an appointment for the second shot. I have heard of a case where the second shot was delayed a few days because of supply issues but they did not have to start looking all over again. If there are states that make you look on your own for the second shot that is a really bad system.

Where is the lack of second doses happening, now being pushed a few days while waiting for a second dose is not the same as an agonizing stressful search IMO..

I read that preliminary findings show that people who have already had COVID-19 are being infected again with the South African variant, whereas the vaccines give some protection, so it's still a good idea to get vaccinated even if you've already had COVID.

I read that preliminary findings show that people who have already had COVID-19 are being infected again with the South African variant, whereas the vaccines give some protection, so it's still a good idea to get vaccinated even if you've already had COVID.

Would you mind posting a source link. I think it's important to do that instead of saying I read somewhere. Thanks...

I really like listening to Dr. Scott...

- States are focusing on under-served population. That's ok, but a dual system should be in place. General availability and a focused effort for under-served populations, otherwise distribution will continue to have too much friction (he addresses this at about minute 29).

I see this here, there are shot centers and Walmart offering pharmacy shots in South Chicago. The politicians constantly talking about the under served community and at the same time the reluctance of this community to get the shots. That they need convincing.

So shots remain unused/available.

Bugs me, as I have 90+ yr old relatives that I cannot get a shot.

Just because they are being infected again, doesn't mean that they don't have any protection from previous illness. Even with the vaccine, you can become infected, even with the mainstream variants. The ~95% figure is in regard to symptomatic COVID-19, not infection.

What I had seen in recent days was that while those who recovered from COVID-19 should get at least one dose of the vaccine, it's uncommon to get reinfected in the U.S. at this time, and those that are reinfected typically result in a mild case, so they are not as high a priority as those in the priority groups who have never had COVID and are at a higher risk. This is something I saw on network television, so I don't have a link.

Edit: here's a link talking about those who have had COVID potentially only needing one dose:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/01/health/have-you-had-covid-19-coronavirus.html

It also states, "A study published earlier this month reported that surviving a natural infection provided 83 percent protection from getting infected again over the course of five months."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom