Spreads so easily......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they go out and about as well? I'm seeing that people who feel they are exposed more are more willing to go out in public to do stuff. I don't know why but that's what we are seeing.

They do go out and about. They're younger - She's 39 - he's in his upper 40's. They like to travel, go to dinner, house parties. I don't think that their behavior changed at all when Covid started in March.

She is getting it (most likely) for the second time. She was extremely sick early summer with Covid symptoms and her dr told her to stay home so she didn't get checked. She tested positive this time but with less severe symptoms so far.

No debate on masks, we need to wear them, but, I'm hearing a disturbing trend:
"I don't understand, I got it, but I was wearing a mask."
These words should not be uttered, yet we heard it a few times over the past weeks from friends or extended family of friends. Our best friends' nieces got it independently. Both are front line workers in my mind. One works in retail, the other as a server in a restaurant. They were very strict in their mask wearing.

Somewhere, the message has gotten warped into wearing a mask gives you a superpower or something. It is not good. These poor girls had no choice. I'm thinking more about other folks who go about doing stupid stuff they don't need to do, because after all, they have a new superpower to protect them.

So yeah, spreads so easily indeed.
Hopefully they got a much lower dose of the virus because they were wearing masks and their illness won’t be as bad. That’s what motivated me initially to wear a mask - reducing viral load.

We are really staying away from other people in terms of extended contact. We go shopping etc., but keep our distance from others and interactions are extremely brief.

Meanwhile our neighborhood has resumed monthly community meetings. Outside, masked, distanced I’m sure. But still they will probably be sitting together for an hour and there will definitely be talking. No way we are attending!

There are sloppy fitting surgical masks and tight fitting N95 masks. I don't know why nearly a year later, we don't have N95s for everyone. :whistle:
I do see many more people wearing KN95 masks at least, and the see well fitted in general. But I also see lots of people wearing very loose masks not to mention the uncovered nose silliness. Some folks it’s obvious that their mask has simply slipped (too loose). Others - it’s just weird. We give them a wide birth, avoiding others generally anyway.

I do see many more people wearing KN95 masks at least, and the see well fitted in general. But I also see lots of people wearing very loose masks not to mention the uncovered nose silliness. Some folks it’s obvious that their mask has simply slipped (too loose). Others - it’s just weird. We give them a wide birth, avoiding others generally anyway.
Most of the masks I see are the little throw away surgical masks or cloth masks, neither of which do much to protect the wearer. Given the pandemic is continuing to peak, it just seems insane to not have everyone in a good mask.

Most of the masks I see are the little throw away surgical masks or cloth masks, neither of which do much to protect the wearer. Given the pandemic is continuing to peak, it just seems insane to not have everyone in a good mask.

That's why I bought a Vogmask a whle back along with the elastic strap to tighten it up for a better seal. It's not perfect - I can feel some air escape around my cheeks when I exhale even when tightened up pretty well. It seems to fit ok, so I don't know if a size smaller or larger might be better.

Another thing I see sometimes is people wearing masks with vents. That doesn't filter exhaled breath. Mine has no vents.

If someone's nose isn't covered, I steer away from the area as if they have no mask at all because the nasal passages are an area where the virus lives and sheds.

Last edited:

Same in my area. I only use the KN95 masks. They have a very tight fit. Things are really bad here and we're hunkered down again with me going out once a week for groceries.

Peak made me peek, the site I look at said 301,655 cases today, and 3,914 dead today.
Total deaths are 378,149 (as a reference WWII was 405,000 US dead)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

It seems to be spreading so much, and yet everywhere I go, I see everyone wearing the throw away masks or the cloth ones. At least they are doing something.

I'm still using my N95, and keep re-using them until they get too dirty/stinky to wear.

The numbers keep getting higher and my anxious wife just keeps getting more worried.

I'm still not worried and keep doing what I've been doing. Stay away from people, wear the mask and wash the hands. Not worried.

We're gonna get a big Christmas and New Years bounce for sure. But we all knew that anyway right?

We had a Christmas of 3 as well as New Years. Five if you count the dogs.

No covid here. Not worried.

I have a few real N95 masks that I was saving for when things got "really bad." I think things are "really bad" now so I have started wearing the N95s anytime I have to go inside a building. They have vents so I am wearing a cotton mask on top of the N95. I also want to protect my eyes so I have ordered a face shield to wear on top of the mask.

The vaccine thread mentioned the situation in DFW area. Indeed.

The Stars, which is the NHL team, has closed their training camp. This will cause a postponement of their first 2 games, and likely their first 4. That's going to put some sand in the gears, or should I say, spread sand on the ice.

https://www.nhl.com/news/dallas-stars-positive-tests-close-training-facilities/c-320138416

The Dallas Stars' first two games of this season, at the Florida Panthers, have been postponed after six players and two staff members recently tested positive for COVID-19.

The Stars were scheduled to play at Florida on Jan. 14 and 15 in the opening games for each team. Dallas is scheduled to play at the Tampa Bay Lightning on Jan. 17 and 19. The NHL said Friday that the Stars facilities were closed and Dallas likely would not play earlier than Jan. 19.

I have a few real N95 masks that I was saving for when things got "really bad." I think things are "really bad" now so I have started wearing the N95s anytime I have to go inside a building. They have vents so I am wearing a cotton mask on top of the N95. I also want to protect my eyes so I have ordered a face shield to wear on top of the mask.
I have always worn an N95 (some I had pre-pandemic). Due to the glasses getting fogged, I've been putting a bit of clear medical tape around either side of the nose. I have goggles and a face shield, but haven't used those. But I've only been indoors for short stints, and in warehouse stores.

The South African one that I was talking about a few posts sounds more concerning, but it's not as widespread, yet anyway.

It has now also been detected in several countries around the world, including the U.K., Switzerland, Finland, Japan, Australia, Zambia, France and South Korea.

https://www.newsweek.com/south-afri...cines-says-top-scientist-shabir-madhi-1558955

I've been reading about the South African strain. An article in Live Science states that so far the data suggest that the vaccine is likely fully effective. The good news about mRNA vaccines is that they only need to swap out the mRNA from the original vaccine and put the mRNA from a new strain into the vaccine. Better, they could put mRNA from both strains into the same vaccine. These vaccines are proven effective, and new studies don't need to be done. Kind of like the flu vaccine-it isn't re-studied every year, just remade every year. But in the case of mRNA vaccines, the updated vaccine can be made much faster.

I've been reading about the South African strain. An article in Live Science states that so far the data suggest that the vaccine is likely fully effective. The good news about mRNA vaccines is that they only need to swap out the mRNA from the original vaccine and put the mRNA from a new strain into the vaccine. Better, they could put mRNA from both strains into the same vaccine. These vaccines are proven effective, and new studies don't need to be done. Kind of like the flu vaccine-it isn't re-studied every year, just remade every year. But in the case of mRNA vaccines, the updated vaccine can be made much faster.

Would the FDA let them do that? I know the flu vaccines are different every year but are they just a different concoction of known components or is it a set of brand new components each time.

Some recent turmoil took my attention away from the latest Covid-19 news. I just looked again, and found terrible news about infection and death rates all around the world.

An acquaintance contracted the virus. I don't know how bad his symptoms are, but he tried to get admitted to a hospital but was turned away. "No empty beds" was the reason given.

No debate on masks, we need to wear them, but, I'm hearing a disturbing trend:
"I don't understand, I got it, but I was wearing a mask."

Somehow the message has gotten confused. It is not "masks or social distance", it is "masks AND social distance".

Recently I was in a place where someone was telling me some information. I kept backing away to keep the six foot distance, they kept coming closer. Finally I politely said "can we please social distance 6 feet?" the response was "but I'm wearing a mask!".

I agree with the points about the type of masks. I suspect that many folks are reusing and not discarding disposable masks. I still see a lot of the "bandana" and gaiter masks that I believe studies show were barely effective.

I wonder, if addition to masks and social distancing, we should also require no talking or singing in public during this time. :)

Some recent turmoil took my attention away from the latest Covid-19 news. I just looked again, and found terrible news about infection and death rates all around the world.

An acquaintance contracted the virus. I don't know how bad his symptoms are, but he tried to get admitted to a hospital but was turned away. "No empty beds" was the reason given.

Yep COVID did not magically disappear, but you know unless you are "someone special" ie rich or famous you cant just get yourself admitted to a hospital even if they do have empty beds...hope your buddy gets well soon.

Somehow the message has gotten confused. It is not "masks or social distance", it is "masks AND social distance".

Recently I was in a place where someone was telling me some information. I kept backing away to keep the six foot distance, they kept coming closer. Finally I politely said "can we please social distance 6 feet?" the response was "but I'm wearing a mask!".

I agree with the points about the type of masks. I suspect that many folks are reusing and not discarding disposable masks. I still see a lot of the "bandana" and gaiter masks that I believe studies show were barely effective.

I wonder, if addition to masks and social distancing, we should also require no talking or singing in public during this time. :)
Ive noticed that some officials (non medical ones) use OR, but I’ve always used AND.

In our neighborhood they like to have “street parties” where folks sit around and gab for a long while, and because they are sit (barely) 6ft apart outside, they don’t use masks. I know it’s way safer than inside, but I just would not feel comfortable joining such a gathering.

Last edited:
Me too. I ain't going. Don't even ask. Get off my porch.

Amazing.

Yep COVID did not magically disappear, but you know unless you are "someone special" ie rich or famous you cant just get yourself admitted to a hospital even if they do have empty beds...hope your buddy gets well soon.

I always thought if you show up at the emergency dept. They would check your health and decide to admit or not.

I just learned tonight.
My Uncle, over 90 phoned a relative to say he was having trouble breathing. She came over, and said she would drive him to hospital.
He said call 911, so the ambulance will take him, that way they will let him in.
He is in there now. . no visitors.
Seems he is pretty smart :cool:

I always thought if you show up at the emergency dept. They would check your health and decide to admit or not.

I just learned tonight.
My Uncle, over 90 phoned a relative to say he was having trouble breathing. She came over, and said she would drive him to hospital.
He said call 911, so the ambulance will take him, that way they will let him in.
He is in there now. . no visitors.
Seems he is pretty smart :cool:

Your uncle is smart!

When I fell down the stairs at w#rk and broke my wrist nine years ago, my employer called an ambulance. When I fell, I hit my head on a metal door at the bottom of the stairs, and I think my employer was worried I might turn into a vegetable (on their time and their dime!)

The ambulance guys did some minimal neurological tests (what's your name; what is the date; do you know where you are, etc.) and then informed me that my noggin was fine, and I had two choices. I could have a co-w#rker drive me to the ER, and wait many, many hours to be triaged and seen, or they could take me to the ER in the ambulance, which would guarantee I would be wheeled right by the triage area and the check-in desk and be taken directly to the back to be seen by a doctor. I chose door number two! For the one and only time in my life I didn't even have to pull out an insurance card at the hospital - they just waved the ambulance guys and me on by. Lesson learned!

It turned out that the bill for the ambulance ride was in the neighborhood of $1,000 (for a 15 minute ride to the hospital) but w#rker's comp paid for everything.

Ive noticed that some officials (non medical ones) use OR, but I’ve always used AND.

I'm also in the AND camp. The only way to stay healthy is to assume everyone has Covid.

And if you can only do one, it's distance.

Would the FDA let them do that? I know the flu vaccines are different every year but are they just a different concoction of known components or is it a set of brand new components each time.

They absolutely would. We’re talking about a few RNA base pairs different. Much less different than the annual flu shot. There are two proteins in the flu virus capsule to which we make antibodies: hemagglutinin and neuraminidase. Hence the designation H1N1 etc. They guess which one. And the process takes many months. mRNA vaccine technology is much quicker.

The process for both the flu vaccine and a changing COVID vaccine does not change. The only thing that changes is the slightly but significantly different viral component, the two proteins, in the case of the flu, the mRNA in the case of coronavirus.

With mRNA vaccine some of the cells in our body are instructed to produce spike protein. Our body recognizes it as a foreign protein, “thinks” it is a virus and develops an immune response. But the rest of the viral RNA isn’t there so there is no actual virus. A second exposure, a second dose, boosts that immune response. But because there is no replicating virus, only a small amount of the protein is made, and our cells don’t get destroyed, and we don’t get disease.

Here's one man's thoughts on the idea of giving only the first shot and then spreading out the second shot for additional weeks or months as the UK plans to do. It's a risk.

https://peterattiamd.com/britains-covid-19-vaccine-gamble-the-upside-of-quitting/

Of course, this is just one opinion.

The punchline is that they will stretch out the interval between the administration of the two vaccine doses required for COVID-19 from the recommended three to four weeks to as long as three months between shots. The problem is that it is not known how long initial protection from the single shot will last. One risk is that there will be a bunch of partially immunized people walking around—a breeding ground for a new, vaccine-resistant strain. So it’s a cost-benefit of vaccinating a wide breadth at once to contain the spread with the possibility that the first round vaccination net is cast too wide and a resistant mutation ensues. We’re playing in a land of unknowns. Jury’s still out on whether other countries will want to follow their lead or not.

Last edited:
I'm also in the AND camp. The only way to stay healthy is to assume everyone has Covid.

And if you can only do one, it's distance.

+1 Agreed.

It's a system that works together to keep us safer. Skipping a part such as not social distancing or not washing hands is like changing the oil in your car but not the oil filter. If I knew that the previous owner did not put in new oil filters, I would not buy the car. Same goes for people who wear a mask and then take other risks. I'm not buying it.

The only exception I make is when I am walking outside and spend almost no time within 30 feet of non bubble people. Then, I don't wear a mask. But, I do carry a mask and sanitizer with me just in case the situation changes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom