Spring 2024 booster

RetMD21

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Apparently the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has recommended that folks over 65 or with impaired immune function "should" have a second dose of the current vaccine. The NYT article quotes Dr Kotton of Mass General as saying that she was impressed with the data supporting the need for a second shot.

I know that they were looking at the data but I was guessing that we were in an era of annual vaccination. NYT says there was some discussion about should vs may.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/28/health/covid-boosters-spring-older.html

Apparently the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has recommended that folks over 65 or with impaired immune function "should" have a second dose of the current vaccine. The NYT article quotes Dr Kotton of Mass General as saying that she was impressed with the data supporting the need for a second shot.

I know that they were looking at the data but I was guessing that we were in an era of annual vaccination. NYT says there was some discussion about should vs may.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/28/health/covid-boosters-spring-older.html
Looks like it's behind a paywall, but I can see it's referring to the Covid vaccination.

Looks like it's behind a paywall, but I can see it's referring to the Covid vaccination.

Yes, Covid. Spring vaccination (with a second dose of the Autumn 2023 vaccine) should be done for anyone 65 and older and anyone immunecompromized.

It is up to the individual to assess their health condition along with the risk.

Protection wanes faster in older folks, so it makes sense.
We will most likely get it in the coming months, we will be traveling this summer on a plane, so if I can boost my immunity, I will.

Got a covid booster today, my 5th or 6th shot since April 2021. Only had detectable side effects with the second vaccine and definitely felt worse than when I actually had covid but I understand the mildness of my covid case was probably because I kept up to date on the vaccines.

Got my first shingrix in the other arm though so I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. But it had to be done. I know a couple of people who have had shingles (before there was a vaccine) and I know it is pretty horrible.

I'm actually very curious to find out which arm hurts more tomorrow. (I've felt like I was punched in the arm after every covid shot but I don't consider that a major side effect.)

Sign me up for the COVID booster!

Now on Day 3 of the #2 shingrix shot and feeling back to normal. Day 2 was the worst (fatigue, mild chills). And the arm not very sore. All in all, not bad considering what it protects you from.

It looks like there are updated news reports now including one from CNN quoting CDC Director Dr. Mandy Cohen supporting this. NYT indicated that the advisory committee would send their recommendation to her for final approval.

https://apnews.com/article/covid-vaccines-shots-over-65-84bd91f6c51db7bbb334bd18a07e4f3b

I could be wrong but I think that now that the vaccine isn't "free" it may be easier to get a booster if you are under 65 but at high risk. Even if insurance disagrees about your risk, you should be able to pay.

Is 64 2/3 close enough?

Is 64 2/3 close enough?

I wonder if insurance willingness to pay for those under 65 is a factor in the age cutoff.

If someone under 65 that they’re immune compromised, would they give you the shot, no other questions asked?

Each Covid vaccine made me extremely sick in bed for 4 days. I actually wasn’t as sick when I got Covid. If it started killing people again I would probably get it but I had the last one in September 21 and for now I’m done. My 2 older siblings were sick for 8 days each time so I wonder if it just doesn’t agree with our immune systems.

Each Covid vaccine made me extremely sick in bed for 4 days. I actually wasn’t as sick when I got Covid. If it started killing people again I would probably get it but I had the last one in September 21 and for now I’m done. My 2 older siblings were sick for 8 days each time so I wonder if it just doesn’t agree with our immune systems.
Started killing? I had heard it was still killing about 1500 Americans a week. That sounds rough - never heard of anyone getting so sick from the vaccination. I think it affected me a little one time, making me extra tired the next day and causing some slight cold symptoms.

I wouldn't qualify for this one, so even if I could get it, insurance probably wouldn't pay.
I wonder if insurance willingness to pay for those under 65 is a factor in the age cutoff.

If someone under 65 that they’re immune compromised, would they give you the shot, no other questions asked?
What did you mean to say? If someone under 65 "proves" they're immune compromised?

Last edited:
We had our last booster in September. If they are available, we'll get another one this coming month. I don't know if our insurance will cover the young wife, given that she's not yet 65, but if we have to pay out of pocket, we will.

Got my Fall 2023 booster in Jan 2024 courtesy of the VA. I think I'm done with that until this Fall at the earliest. I'm currently 70.

Started killing? I had heard it was still killing about 1500 Americans a week. That sounds rough - never heard of anyone getting so sick from it. I think it affected me a little one time, making me extra tired the next day and causing some slight cold symptoms.

It’s still killing people in England & Wales. Official figures say 266 in the week ending Feb 16. Significant enough numbers for me to want to have the recommended vaccine booster.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...dandwalesprovisional/weekending16february2024

In the week ending 16 February 2024 (Week 7), 16.9% of registered deaths involved influenza or pneumonia (2,001 deaths), while 2.3% involved coronavirus (COVID-19) (266 deaths).

Last edited:
Except for the few who have reacted badly to previous COVID vacs, I can't imagine why anyone would not get this one if PCP recommends. Near zero downside, possibly life-saving upside. We are 76YO, headed for Japan vacation in a month and will try to get our shots before we leave.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...-links-vaccines-to-potential-adverse-effects/

Largest multicountry COVID study links vaccines to potential adverse effects

[FONT=&quot]The study was conducted by the Global COVID Vaccine Safety project and took into account 99,068,901 vaccinated individuals across eight countries: Argentina, Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, New Zealand and Scotland.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The report specifically looked at adverse events following administration of the Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca vaccines.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The researchers looked for 13 adverse events of special interest that occurred in vaccine recipients for up to 42 days after shots were administered. These conditions included Guillain-Barré syndrome, Bell’s palsy, convulsions, myocarditis and pericarditis.[/FONT]

To add some perspective to the Covid study linked above, a few points.

This is not a new study, it is a meta-analysis of many older existing studies. The results are vaccine and dose# specific, not uniform across age groups, and the comparison is vs healthy adults, not Covid victims. It’s usefulness to us is limited.

For example, myocarditis is reported with the Pfizer vaccine, but only after specific doses and in men aged 16-24. This is not representative of our community. The same applies to other reported side effects. It’s interesting, and members are encouraged to read the discussion section to see if any of the reported side effects actually affect us.

This thread is not an opportunity to debate Covid vaccines once again, it’s an opportunity for each of us to determine if we will get the newest booster. There is no need for you to justify your own decision nor any need to evangelize to those who choose otherwise.

I know that the last time they opened it up to those who were immunocompromised or otherwise vulnerable, you didn't have to even claim it, much less prove it. At CVS (or maybe Walgreens?), the web site asked some questions about it, and even about whether anyone in your household was vulnerable or you worked with an at-risk population, and then you could make an appointment. They didn't ask at the appointment itself. Although things might have changed since then.

We're traveling in May so I expect I, at least, will get another dose a couple of weeks before we leave. Last May we got a booster before we went to Europe but I contracted Covid at the end of our trip and DH caught it from me. Of course that was not the more recent reformulated booster. My experience has been that I had more reaction to the Moderna vaccine with almost no reaction to the Pfizer. YMMV.

I’ll get a booster in the next month or so as my travel season gets going. A number of acquaintances in my area have come down with Covid in the past month.

It’s still killing people in England & Wales. Official figures say 266 in the week ending Feb 16. Significant enough numbers for me to want to have the recommended vaccine booster.

I think the UK went with a higher age cut off for the second dose, right?

I'll get it since:
1. My first dose of this formula was in October and the 2024 vaccine will probably not be out until fall.
2. Should rather than may
3. DW has medical problems and is probably at higher risk
4. I've never really had any adverse effects

I'm under 65 and just got the booster from late fall, no questions about insurance at all.

I see my doctor in two months. I’m sure she won’t let me go without the vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom