The threat nobody is looking at right now (EMP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickW

Dryer sheet aficionado
While all eyes are on the current health concerns, I submit that a greater concern at this time is the threat and consequences of an EMP attack. (Google that if you don't already know what that is).

The country is totally distracted right now...

COVID-19 will be done and gone a year from now, if not sooner. But the effects of an EMP attack would be far more pervasive.

If ever an enemy country wanted to hit us, today (or a week from now, when COVID-19 is at it's peak) would be the time to do it. Pearl Harbor on steroids.

Discussion....?

- Patrick

:facepalm:

That would be trivial compared to the asteroid they haven't detected yet.

If ever an enemy country wanted to hit us, today (or a week from now, when COVID-19 is at it's peak) would be the time to do it. Pearl Harbor on steroids.
That would be trivial compared to the asteroid they haven't detected yet.

Especially if the asteroids are coming from Klendathu.

EMPs are often the first wave of a zombie attack, aren't they?

While all eyes are on the current health concerns, I submit that a greater concern at this time is the threat and consequences of an EMP attack. (Google that if you don't already know what that is).

The country is totally distracted right now...

COVID-19 will be done and gone a year from now, if not sooner. But the effects of an EMP attack would be far more pervasive.

Discussion....?

- Patrick
I’m more worried about hackers.

Denial of service attack on the DHS computers already.

Our poor moderators. Thanks for keeping a sense of humor about this, ya'll! :greetings10:

OP here. I'm a bit surprised at the reactions thus far. :confused:

Not fear mongering, nor trying to be funny. I'm sorry if people are taking it that way - that wasn't my intent. It's a serious topic.

I guess I can kind of understand how Galileo must have felt.

Patrick

OP here. I'm a bit surprised at the reactions thus far. :confused:

Not fear mongering, nor trying to be funny. I'm sorry if people are taking it that way - that wasn't my intent. It's a serious topic.

I guess I can kind of understand how Galileo must have felt.

Patrick

So Patrick, what good is this discussion going to do? Are you going to go out on Amazon and buy a tube based amplifier? Are you going to go to Ebay and buy a 40 year old freezer that has no circuit board? Are you going to get your pre-1940 car up and running? No. I mean, we seriously can't do anything, so the discussion has no merit except to sew fear.

It may be serious, but in the midst of a pandemic, there is nothing we can do. The authorities know about it. Do you think they'll act differently based on this discussion?

I'm not a moderator, but my comment echoes a few of their thoughts when they first tried to contain all the threads.

Corona virus is here today and very real, and there are actions that every single person can do to try to reduce their risk, and the risk to the rest of society.

EMP is a real risk too, along with other risks such as tainting our water sources, dirty bombs, etc. I'm assuming the people who guard against that are not taking their eye off the ball. There's also nothing any of us can do short of reporting anything suspicious that could be related to that.

But feel free to compare yourself to Galileo. Or Chicken Little.

Of course this is a serious topic, and may be worth a serious discussion at some point. But this is not the time to bring up a hypothetical threat, since there is nothing we can do to prevent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom