Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 10:01 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
While recognizing that there have been only a few, small randomized controlled studies to date that support these statements, the risk to recommending daily vitamin D supplements to the general population is so small, and the costs are really low, that I cannot understand why our health and political leaders have not done so.
I don't know either. Here are a few guesses:
- Hoarding. Fear of shortages for those who rely on the therapy?
- Excess use and toxicity. People who decide if 4,000 IU is good, why not 40,000?

So instead, it falls under the talk-to-your-doctor guidance.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2021, 02:06 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fauci apparently takes 6000iu a day.

https://vitamindwiki.com/Dr.+Fauci+t...0%93+Sept+2020
Old 02-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #63
Confused about dryer sheets

A highly effective,perhaps the most important, supplement to protect from covid, or any virus for that matter, is Zinc. I take pure Zinc in iquid form, 15 mg every day, which is ten drops of the liquid that I buy from Amazon.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
A highly effective,perhaps the most important, supplement to protect from covid, or any virus for that matter, is Zinc. I take pure Zinc in iquid form, 15 mg every day, which is ten drops of the liquid that I buy from Amazon.
How do you treat your 3rd degree burns? To liquify pure Zinc, you have to raise its temperature to about 787F.

I assume you mean some solution of zinc - not actually 'pure' metallic zinc - sorry, just messin' with you. BUT, seriously, I take zinc gluconate myself. I also heard that it was good to prevent/treat Covid and the side effect profile is pretty tame, so 'why not?' YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:59 PM   #65

I just cannot take Vitamin D supplements --it upsets my stomach terribly. I have tried it with or without food, have tried the lowest dose and I have tried several different kinds, just cannot take it. So I try really hard to get Vitamin D from the sun. When I have had my Vitamin D tested in the past and it was in the OK range. I have the same problem with Calcium supplements--they upset my stomach also and I have spent a small fortune trying different kinds with no luck.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I just cannot take Vitamin D supplements --it upsets my stomach terribly. I have tried it with or without food, have tried the lowest dose and I have tried several different kinds, just cannot take it. So I try really hard to get Vitamin D from the sun. When I have had my Vitamin D tested in the past and it was in the OK range. I have the same problem with Calcium supplements--they upset my stomach also and I have spent a small fortune trying different kinds with no luck.
These have just 500 IU of vitamin D each. The bottle says to take two but try taking one with food that contains some fat and with some water, as a test (the D is fat soluble and the C is water soluble). Then maybe you can increase it to two at different meals, but one brings you close to the recommended amount.

Recommended Amount of Vitamin D:

Birth to 12 months 10 mcg (400 IU)
Children 1–13 years 15 mcg (600 IU)
Teens 14–18 years 15 mcg (600 IU)
Adults 19–70 years 15 mcg (600 IU)
Adults 71 years and older 20 mcg (800 IU)
Pregnant and breastfeeding teens and women 15 mcg (600 IU)
Old 02-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
These have just 500 IU of vitamin D. The bottle says to take two but try taking one with food that contains some fat, as a test. Then maybe you can increase it to two at different meals, but one brings you close to the recommended amount.

Recommended Amount of Vitamin D:

Birth to 12 months 10 mcg (400 IU)
Children 1–13 years 15 mcg (600 IU)
Teens 14–18 years 15 mcg (600 IU)
Adults 19–70 years 15 mcg (600 IU)
Adults 71 years and older 20 mcg (800 IU)
Pregnant and breastfeeding teens and women 15 mcg (600 IU)
Thanks Boho-- but I have tried the 500 IU and is still upset my stomach. Thinking maybe I was allergic to the capsule itself I have broken open the capsule and tried just the liquid--still upsets my stomach. I have talked to my doctor and he said some people just have an intolerance to Vitamin D supplements and I am one of those. When I googled the issue it seems to be a fairly common problem.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #68

Quote:
Thanks Boho-- but I have tried the 500 IU and is still upset my stomach. Thinking maybe I was allergic to the capsule itself I have broken open the capsule and tried just the liquid--still upsets my stomach. I have talked to my doctor and he said some people just have an intolerance to Vitamin D supplements and I am one of those. When I googled the issue it seems to be a fairly common problem.
Well, if you ever need to be tube fed in a hospital, I assume they'll give you vitamin D even with your reaction, since it's necessary for your health. Maybe take half of the 500 IU tablet with every meal? There must be a way you can get it orally.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #69

Quote:
Well, if you ever need to be tube fed in a hospital, I assume they'll give you vitamin D even with your reaction, since it's necessary for your health. Maybe take half of the 500 IU tablet with every meal? There must be a way you can get it orally.
It is not worth getting sick on my stomach. I will just continue to sit out in the sun. I hope I never have to be tube fed!
Old 02-10-2021, 03:43 PM   #70

Quote:
It is not worth getting sick on my stomach. I will just continue to sit out in the sun. I hope I never have to be tube fed!
Salmon. And vitamin D fortified eggs.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #71

Quote:
Salmon. And vitamin D fortified eggs.
Yes, I eat salmon and many other foods high in Vitamin D. But I also try to get sun everyday and living in the south I stay tan pretty much year round (but my dermatologist does not like it)
Old 02-10-2021, 04:15 PM   #72

Quote:
It is not worth getting sick on my stomach. I will just continue to sit out in the sun.
I don’t know if it’s even possible, but did you discuss the possibility of injecting vitamin D? I inject B12 once a week. If you’re not actually allergic to vitamin D maybe injection will work by bypassing your GI tract.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:22 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I don’t know if it’s even possible, but did you discuss the possibility of injecting vitamin D? I inject B12 once a week. If you’re not actually allergic to vitamin D maybe injection will work by bypassing your GI tract.
Good suggestion--if my Vitamin D gets low I will look into it. Right now my Vitamin D levels are normal so my doctor told me not to worry about the supplements. I actually like sitting in the sun.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:27 PM   #74

Have you tried the Gummy Bear ones? Maybe if mixed with something like this it might help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d3.jpg (155.4 KB, 18 views)
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 02-10-2021, 05:41 PM   #75

They also make vitamin d patches.
Closed Thread

Tags
bame, covid, doctors, homeless, vitamin d