Vitamin D and Covid 19 Correlation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once you get over 40,000 IU there is a danger of toxicity, so that's not something you would want to do for any prolonged period of time. There is also a potential for kidney stones with very large doses.

I and DW take 2000 IU in supplements daily, plus there is 1000 in the multivitamins we take (25 micrograms of D3 = 1000 IU). I saw during some research that 4000 IU was safe for long term use of D3, so we kept the pill sources at 3000 IU because there are still dietary sources like cream in coffee, milk, and yogurt plus the sun. My wife had tests a few years ago that showed she was deficient in vitamin D, so getting her vitamin D up to speed was just in time for the covid outbreak. I used to drink a lot of milk before I started the supplements, and there is vitamin D in that. During the pandemic I haven't been getting to the store very much, and vitamins are easier to buy on-line.

What I saw in COVID treatment documentation was the really, really huge applications of Vitamin D was as a treatment for people that come into the hospital with COVID and have low vitamin D levels to begin with.

Last edited:
My doctor feels that 2,000IU is safe for everyone. He's probably right. And, that was right in the target zone of the study.

Note that the 80,000 in the study was a one dose regimen under hospital observation. I'd be wary of any doses over 4,000. Be careful out there.

I have a question, may not be able to compare but is natural (sun) vitamin D as good as a vitamin supplement??

I have a question, may not be able to compare but is natural (sun) vitamin D as good as a vitamin supplement??

If you can manufacture it. Maybe May through July? Oh, and then there is skin cancers. Ask my BIL, he let his basal cells go for a few years and now is under a multi-year treatment protocol of chemo and surgeries. Even basal can hit you hard if you let it go. He was a framing carpenter who rarely wore a shirt.

I'm sitting here tapping on a keyboard today. Outside it is 36F and pouring rain. My vitamin D production is about zero.

Last edited:

Not "as good as" but far, far better.
After all, that's how we evolved to get our Vitamin D. And there is a difference between naturally made Vitamin D and supplements taken in pills. The problem is that for those in northern climate zones (which includes you and many of us) it's very hard if not impossible to get the high quality sunlight (middle of the day) for much of the year.

Not "as good as" but far, far better.
After all, that's how we evolved to get our Vitamin D. And there is a difference between naturally made Vitamin D and supplements taken in pills. The problem is that for those in northern climate zones (which includes you and many of us) it's very hard if not impossible to get the high quality sunlight (middle of the day) for much of the year.
+1 Hard to compete with billions years of evolution.

I disagree. You don't get skin cancer from the supplement.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7049620/
Sunlight exposure was not sufficient to overcome vitamin D insufficiency or deficiency in the current study subjects. Effectiveness of current sunlight exposure guidelines among various populations should be reassessed in larger clinical studies.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-health Professional/#h3
But despite the importance of the sun for vitamin D synthesis, limiting skin exposure to sunlight and UV radiation from tanning beds is prudent [30]. UV radiation is a carcinogen, and UV exposure is the most preventable cause of skin cancer. Federal agencies and national organizations advise taking photoprotective measures to reduce the risk of skin cancer, including using sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher, whenever people are exposed to the sun [30,32]. Sunscreens with an SPF of 8 or more appear to block vitamin D-producing UV rays. In practice, however, people usually do not apply sufficient amounts of sunscreen, cover all sun-exposed skin, or reapply sunscreen regularly. Their skin probably synthesizes some vitamin D, even with typically applied sunscreen amounts

My recent lab work indicated that my Vit D count was only 19 when 30 was the minimum. My PCP Rxd CHOLECCALCIFEROL 50,000 IU weekly for 8 weeks. After that, I will take 2000IU of OTC product daily. Hope that process ups me to 30.

A little UV is good, too much not so. I spend 10 min. daily in front of full spectrum sun lamp, while doing tension excercises. Hey, gotta do multi tasking :) Turning once so 5 min. each front and back. +5000 iu D along with K2. Some UV input to skin has other benefits. Like Nitric Oxide generation. Plenty of literature on the subject on NIH website.

Yeah. Just assume the levels were low. Most of the subjects were 85+ in age.

Besides getting ivermectin on shelves of everyone in my family, I also got several of my family started on Vitamin D (that were not already taking it).

I was under impression Ivermectin was a prescription item? Was I wrong? How does one get it for family?

As to vitamin D, I do take supplements, as well as being sure to get at least 2 servings of dairy food daily, and taking five mile walks outside in the daylight almost daily.

I was under impression Ivermectin was a prescription item? Was I wrong? How does one get it for family?

As to vitamin D, I do take supplements, as well as being sure to get at least 2 servings of dairy food daily, and taking five mile walks outside in the daylight almost daily.

He explained it here.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f55/standardized-covid-treatment-protocols-106155-4.html

My regular GP, who works for a mega-practice (because there's a duopoly here ... all bought up by Novant or Atrium) had refused to prescribe ivermectin for me.

I wrote him the day after this news about the NIH softening it's stance on ivermectin, and he called in a prescription for me, which I have in-hand now for symptom day 1, should that arise.

I urge anyone who is "up there" in age to get a prescription filled, and have it on the shelf. I'm a bit concerned that if you don't do it now, the supply of the human form might start to dry-up.

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/statement-on-ivermectin/

Thanks Alan. I did read through sengsational's comments in that thread and saw a comment about also ordering it from Mexico, as well as getting it from own doctor. But I would do one or the other, not both, so as to avoid stockpiling shortages for others.

My recent lab work indicated that my Vit D count was only 19 when 30 was the minimum. My PCP Rxd CHOLECCALCIFEROL 50,000 IU weekly for 8 weeks. After that, I will take 2000IU of OTC product daily. Hope that process ups me to 30.
I've been taking 5000 iu daily for over 6 mos now, and before that approx 1000-2000. Just checked my Vit D last week and it was 45.

Not everyone can get vitamin D easily from the sun. Those with naturally dark skin have a harder time absorbing vitamin D from the sun. That is why, for example, Vitamin D deficiency is prevalent among African-Americans.

At about the 50 to 60 second mark of video it reveals that Dr. Fauci takes 6000IU of Vitamin D every day. Not sure why media does not cover this but anyway wife and I take 5000 IU of D every day plus whatever we get from a our daily Multi "Naturemade over 50" I think the multi has 1000 D and of course we get some from food. So far no illness. Certainly vitamin D is cheap enough a big bottle of 200 tabs is about $10 maybe less if on sale at walgreen or Walmart.

As people age, they are less able to manufacture Vitamin D.

Once I asked my doctor - isn't it better to get Vitamin D by spending time out in the sun? He laughed and said that we'd all have to run around outside naked all day to get enough Vitamin D - just like in the "olden" days.

I'm in my 50s and take 500 IU of D per day plus I get some from my diet, which probably gives me the recommended amount. I wonder how much good that's doing me. The instructions on my bottle of 500mg vitamin C/500 IU vitamin D chewables say to take two, which is still only 1000 IU of D. I'm still inclined to take just one.

Based on my experience 500 IU's won't do much if your levels are low. Years ago my D levels were just below the recommended level. My doctor had me take 1000 IU daily supplements, it brought my level within range but at the low end, don't recall the exact numbers but maybe a 6-7 point increase. Increased it to 4000 IU's recently but haven't tested the impact.

DH and I take 5000 IU a day. He used to be OK but lately (he is 73) his has been dropping if he doesn't take something.

I have consistently been very low, once I think my level was something like 9 when they want it to be 30 or something...don't recall exactly. I took 50000 a week for several weeks then went to 5000 IU a day. It went up. Eventually I got out of the habit of taking it and it went back down. So now I just take 5000 IU a day and it gets me into the normal range.

Does vitamin D supplement cause anyone else to get an upset stomach? I have tried several different kinds but they all cause stomach upset. I am trying to get Vitamin D from the sun but it is hard in the winter.

Does vitamin D supplement cause anyone else to get an upset stomach? I have tried several different kinds but they all cause stomach upset. I am trying to get Vitamin D from the sun but it is hard in the winter.
Not if I take it a minute or two before a meal. That's what works for me, even if it may dilute effectiveness.

I'm not sure, but I'd try taking it with a bigger, fattier meal. It's a fat soluble vitamin and they don't even add it to one brand of low fat milk, because, I figure, the body won't utilize it. More of it may sit, undigested, in the stomach in that case. They just put it in reduced fat and whole milk.

Also, heed the chart I posted and don't take too much. I'd drop from 2000IU to 1000IU before I started spending more time in the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom