What's next for hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking outside of the box

Drove into town today and stopped at the ready-mix place. There weren't no line. Got me a truck load of sand. Yeah sand.

...and when there was no meat, we ate fowl and when there was no fowl, we ate crawdad and when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.

Yeah sand

DW is paranoid that we are going to run out of tp. I can’t convince her that there is no need to go the store every few days to get a ration of tp. So I made a spreadsheet. So far only 5 days of data, but at the current rate of 0.28 rolls used per day, we have a stockpile that should last 173.5 days. Still won’t stop,her from wanting to buy more in a few days.

You too? :LOL:

I am tracking both tp and paper towel usage for DW, she is also concerned but so far is trusting my numbers.

DW is paranoid that we are going to run out of tp. I can’t convince her that there is no need to go the store every few days to get a ration of tp. So I made a spreadsheet. So far only 5 days of data, but at the current rate of 0.28 rolls used per day, we have a stockpile that should last 173.5 days. Still won’t stop,her from wanting to buy more in a few days.

You too? :LOL:

I am tracking both tp and paper towel usage for DW, she is also concerned but so far is trusting my numbers.

When doing those withdrawal rate calculations be sure to include SORR. It's not the average rate that will get you, it's the volatility!

When doing those withdrawal rate calculations be sure to include SORR. It's not the average rate that will get you, it's the volatility!

We can control that to a certain degree. I am allergic to beans, DW likes them, but I told her no beans in DC times :).

Good point! And the tp that is being rationed now is very thin - doesn’t look like it can handle volatility.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but elastic for making masks is basically gone. What I found on Amazon was for delivery in May. May not be as hoarded as TP and now masks, but if everyone is expected to wear a mask, people will be making masks (they are already) and IMO, good ones have elastic. I'm also going to look for that thin piece of metal that molds the mask around the bridge of the nose. DW and DD are planning on making some masks. I'm not going to wear a towel with a safety pin. :D

Jerry, get some aluminum roof flashing and some time snips. Lifetime supply of metal strips that should be maleable enough.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but elastic for making masks is basically gone. What I found on Amazon was for delivery in May. May not be as hoarded as TP and now masks, but if everyone is expected to wear a mask, people will be making masks (they are already) and IMO, good ones have elastic. I'm also going to look for that thin piece of metal that molds the mask around the bridge of the nose. DW and DD are planning on making some masks. I'm not going to wear a towel with a safety pin. :D

Things I have hear about- using the hair loops on each end of the mask to hook over the ears.

Using ACE bandages and cutting them into strips.

For formable nose pieces- use floral wired. Also pipe cleaners. I would also guess that single strand electrical wire would hold shap, and heavy solder if you have any of that around. Or small diameter copper tubing- such as cap tube.

I just bought a pack of elastic hair ties two days ago and they should be arriving today. Looks like I was just ahead of the curve, as they are pretty well sold out now.

I have no masks. I have scads of scarves I can wrap around my face. Even though the scarves can't filter out viruses per se, they can protect my whole face from someone's bodily emanations.

I am sick to death of finding everything I need, already sold out. It's starting to break my spirit, like when I was the youngest kid in class by a couple of years, and always...always...the very last in anything we did in gym class.

I have no masks. I have scads of scarves I can wrap around my face. Even though the scarves can't filter out viruses per se, they can protect my whole face from someone's bodily emanations.

I am sick to death of finding everything I need, already sold out. It's starting to break my spirit, like when I was the youngest kid in class by a couple of years, and always...always...the very last in anything we did in gym class.

Hang in there.
I try to make a game out of it and calculate as best as possible when the goods will be there.
If senior hour starts at 6am for example, are you willing to get on line at 5:30am for that 1 roll of TP and paper towels?

I will use a bandanna for the first time this Tuesday.

Jerry, get some aluminum roof flashing and some time snips. Lifetime supply of metal strips that should be maleable enough.

Good idea. You reminded me, I was up in my attic and the previous owner left some of the aluminum trim up there. Plenty sturdy enough and there was plenty of it. Thanks.

As for the idea of a piece of wire or paper clip, while that would work, I don't imagine it would be very comfortable if worn for any length of time. I'm trying to replicate a very nice cloth mask I bought (for lawn mowing, not N95) that is very comfortable and looks good. It has a flat metal piece and the elastic goes around the head, not the ears. Have you seen the poor nurses and how behind their ears is raw from wearing their masks? Sad.

There are plenty of masks on www.etsy.com. Here are the ones I ordered which shipped the day after I ordered them:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/787053...s-adult-unisex?ref=as_recently_viewed-1&frs=1

There are plenty of masks on www.etsy.com. Here are the ones I ordered which shipped the day after I ordered them:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/787053...s-adult-unisex?ref=as_recently_viewed-1&frs=1

Also plenty of "Particulate Matter" PM 2.5 masks on ebay, search using "pm 2.5 mask". Myself, my approach is simply to NOT go into a store, no public places with lots of people. In terms of walking around my rural neighborhood roads, business as usual (no mask). I have not been in a store since 3/13. I have done two Walmart outdoor pickups where I didn't leave my vehicle.

I have yet to decide whether to wear a mask while getting gas, will likely just try to time it with off hours/no people around. I have one (and only one) P100 mask that I had bought a few years ago for a house project that I never did. That is being saved in case I really have no choice but to go to a more crowed public place (e.g. a doctors office).

Have you seen the poor nurses and how behind their ears is raw from wearing their masks? Sad.

I saw a post where someone had sewn buttons onto a hair band such that the mask could hook onto the buttons, thus taking the pressure off the back of the ears. Might be another way to secure a mask.

I see Amazon has plenty of these you could get in a few days. The question is...How desperate ARE you?

Attachments

• mask.jpg
    mask.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 51
I saw a post where someone had sewn buttons onto a hair band such that the mask could hook onto the buttons, thus taking the pressure off the back of the ears. Might be another way to secure a mask.

I saw that. They’re also using a paper clip to hold the loops at the back of their head. That’s about the same as having the elastic that goes around the head. I’m just hoping I actually get the elastic I ordered. I’ve never ordered from Etsy before.

Aww, those are just my style! too bad they are too warm for Florida.

I see Amazon has plenty of these you could get in a few days. The question is...How desperate ARE you?

You need to think outside the box . I am sure there is a slightly upscale grocery near you such as Fresh Market . They do not attract as many people because they have some pricey things but they also have great meat sales and I have never been in one that is crowded .They also have a senior hour at a more humane time .We have also been getting several items from Amazon . I also do instacart and have gotten my list filled . I stay near the phone on the day of the order because they text you with substitutions .Yes, we are spending more but our sanity is worth it .

I'm with you on this. (I was always picked last in gym class, too.) It's like the moment a new mandate/suggestion hits the news, hoards of people rush out to the stores or their computer and start buying.

You need to think outside the box . I am sure there is a slightly upscale grocery near you such as Fresh Market .

Speaking only for myself, don't be so sure. I've never heard of the place. A quick Google search brings up The Fresh Market. The closest one to me is about 2 hours away. We do have a Trader Joe's about a half hour away, but the posts I've read about long lines stretching around the block to get in do not encourage me to go there during this crisis. It's a shame, because they are nice stores.

I just saw a news report on world news tonight showing the extremely long line outside a Walmart where they're starting to limit shoppers now. We have one a mile from my house, but I'm not willing to go through that unless I'm desperate. Of course, limiting shoppers becomes law in Ohio on Monday, so we'll see how much outside the box thinking I can muster up. I'm sure some stores will be worse than others.

The Fresh Market is awesome, but it's really random what's available everywhere. TFM outta milk, Publix has it, etc., and vice versa every day, every location. And I don't want to have to go around looking.

But yeah, TFM stores are smaller and some things are priced higher (plenty not though, love my tuesday specials), and their meats are better than Publix, and because the layout is less row/column it seems easier to get around and social-distance. yes I am using that as a verb now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom