What's next for hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW - sewing face masks and Netflix. Making 15 for a cousin in middle Kansas after a half dozen for various neighbors.

Me? Don't know what to hoard. But I did see a comment on U Tube that men sans barbers may consider the old colonial style with a ribbon in back.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Oddly enough, there isn't. Have to drive 15 miles, or more.

I get what you're saying, but find grocery shopping incredibly tedious at the best of times, and this incessant focus on finding necessities is just the pits. If it were due to an actual famine, I might deal with it better; but knowing it's due to other people's greed and hoarding just wrecks my spirit.

Instacart isn't even in our area yet. I wish it were! Misfits supposedly delivers their vegetable parcels to our zip code now. I may try them.

You need to think outside the box . I am sure there is a slightly upscale grocery near you such as Fresh Market . They do not attract as many people because they have some pricey things but they also have great meat sales and I have never been in one that is crowded .They also have a senior hour at a more humane time .We have also been getting several items from Amazon . I also do instacart and have gotten my list filled . I stay near the phone on the day of the order because they text you with substitutions .Yes, we are spending more but our sanity is worth it .

I have no masks. I have scads of scarves I can wrap around my face. Even though the scarves can't filter out viruses per se, they can protect my whole face from someone's bodily emanations.
It is my understanding that the masks don't necessarily protect you from catching a virus from someone else. It is mostly to keep you from passing on a virus to someone else.

I know a bike shop owner and he said kids bikes are flying out the door.
I also broke my bike helmet and I am having a heck of a time finding one in the model/color/size I want online. Maybe this will cause an uptick in cycling again.

It is my understanding that the masks don't necessarily protect you from catching a virus from someone else. It is mostly to keep you from passing on a virus to someone else.

My understanding is masks that are not the great N95 ones, still protect you from the big droplet spray.

In the past I've had the unpleasant experience of someone talking to me, and they literally sprayed out spit while talking, not need to sneeze or cough. These days that is a much more scary event. :eek:

DW - sewing face masks and Netflix. Making 15 for a cousin in middle Kansas after a half dozen for various neighbors.

Me? Don't know what to hoard. But I did see a comment on U Tube that men sans barbers may consider the old colonial style with a ribbon in back.

heh heh heh - :cool:
I have a "Wahl Grrom Pro" sitting unopened in a box. (Bought it in 2017 for $16.99 from Best Buy) It has a 22 piece haircut kit. I told my son we will soon get to try it out on each other. :eek: (Seems to be sold out at Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, ...)

My understanding is masks that are not the great N95 ones, still protect you from the big droplet spray.

In the past I've had the unpleasant experience of someone talking to me, and they literally sprayed out spit while talking, not need to sneeze or cough. These days that is a much more scary event. :eek:

If you're wearing a mask, it makes sense to also wear eye protection. You can get a cheap pair of safety glasses at just about any hardware store.

Unless you have already been exposed and have developed the antibodies for it. Now the gross-out factor is a different matter.

I get what you're saying, but find grocery shopping incredibly tedious at the best of times, and this incessant focus on finding necessities is just the pits. If it were due to an actual famine, I might deal with it better; but knowing it's due to other people's greed and hoarding just wrecks my spirit.

Some of it is hoarding but some of it is all the families staying home .They now have to feed their family more food since school lunches are not happening .Plus all the people that used to eat lunch or dinner out now have to eat at home so everybody needs more groceries .

If you're wearing a mask, it makes sense to also wear eye protection. You can get a cheap pair of safety glasses at just about any hardware store.

Good advice.

I already wear glasses, which are not quite as wrap around as safety glasses.
If I didn't wear glasses, I'd wear safety ones without hesitation, especially as they are even less noticeable compared to a mask.

I have a "Wahl Grrom Pro" sitting unopened in a box. (Bought it in 2017 for $16.99 from Best Buy) It has a 22 piece haircut kit. I told my son we will soon get to try it out on each other. :eek: (Seems to be sold out at Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, ...)

DW has been cutting my hair with one of those for a few years now, it's easy.
We use the longest setting, and she just buzzs my entire head, then uses the ear settings for each ear.
It's honestly about as good as SuperCuts.

I know a bike shop owner and he said kids bikes are flying out the door.
I also broke my bike helmet and I am having a heck of a time finding one in the model/color/size I want online. Maybe this will cause an uptick in cycling again.

I had offered to babysit a grandkid when the schools were first closed and my daughter was concerned about daycare. I told her to bring the kid over Sunday night and pick her up on Friday evening. My plan was to buy her a new bike since she had outgrown the old one. We would ride around on a local trail. Alas, between my being one of those 'vulnerable' old folks and all the lock downs of parks, trails etc. my wonderful plan ended up in the dumpster.

DW has been cutting my hair with one of those for a few years now, it's easy.
We use the longest setting, and she just buzzs my entire head, then uses the ear settings for each ear.
It's honestly about as good as SuperCuts.

I've given myself a #4 clipper cut for years. Takes about 10 minutes, and for about $30 it paid for itself after two uses. Plus I can still trim my hair. It helps to be bald up top and have mostly straight hair, too -- makes it easy, almost trivial, to do. I just have to have the missus inspect my "work" and make sure I didn't miss any spots.

I've given myself a #4 clipper cut for years. Takes about 10 minutes, and for about $30 it paid for itself after two uses. Plus I can still trim my hair. It helps to be bald up top and have mostly straight hair, too -- makes it easy, almost trivial, to do. I just have to have the missus inspect my "work" and make sure I didn't miss any spots.

Looks good!

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 53

Agreed. We wore both in the store a few days ago. I found some bifocal safety glasses online a few weeks ago and they worked amazingly well in the store.

DW is paranoid that we are going to run out of tp. I can’t convince her that there is no need to go the store every few days to get a ration of tp. So I made a spreadsheet. So far only 5 days of data, but at the current rate of 0.28 rolls used per day, we have a stockpile that should last 173.5 days. Still won’t stop,her from wanting to buy more in a few days.

Start shopping for bidet attachments (that fit under the toilet seat) on Amazon.

Maybe buy a model with front and back jets...

How about if I just wear really huge sunglasses? What do you think? I don't want to have to venture out to Home Depot to buy a pair of safety glasses.

How about if I just wear really huge sunglasses? What do you think? I don't want to have to venture out to Home Depot to buy a pair of safety glasses.

I opted for swimming goggles. I have three pairs and one of them looks quite fashionable IMO. They're air-tight.

Agreed. We wore both in the store a few days ago. I found some bifocal safety glasses online a few weeks ago and they worked amazingly well in the store.

I have prescription safety glasses and they wrap around my face more than my regular prescription glasses, but there's still a gap all the way around that I'm not comfortable with.

While 1/4 inch elastic for making masks are still available, they’ve nearly tripled in price online.

The UV sanitizers for CPAP masks, hoses, and humidifiers have pretty much sold out. Apparently people realized these would be pretty good for killing viruses on face masks too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom