What's the COVID Testing Situation in Your Area?

Huge drop in demand. Many/most folks don't see a need to pay for them when the govt. is sending you four for free.

That and the case count for Omicron is dropping very fast, looks like down about 40% from the peak a week ago.

I would like to pick up a few additional tests in the next couple of weeks for H and I to take on our ski road trip. We are still waiting to receive the 4 free tests we ordered on 1/18. I'm hoping that Walmart will have them in stock again soon then I can go to the pharmacy and show my insurance card and get them for free.

Got my test kits today. They are made in china like I read here on ER. I just think that is just not right.

I received my free tests--2 boxes, 2 tests in each box. Somehow I had thought there would be 4 boxes but I just got 2.

This week the county library system received a "larger than expected" allotment of covid test kits (they had been receiving 60-75 Binaxnow kits 2 out of 3 weeks). Rather than requiring online registration the day before they made them available to registered folks (which was an exercise in "will the request volume crash the server?" ), they said it would be available for pickup at the library, starting at 9AM Thursday, first come first serve.

Since us FIRE folks have the time and means to do "on-the-ground" research :), and the library provides free wifi in the parking lot, I ventured out and arrived at 8AM. Another reflection of the fall in demand, there was no one there. a few other cars started to arrive around 8:30, but no one got out of their car stood in line until about 8:40. More cars arrived, by 9am there were around 60 people in line. Things were orderly, people were more cracking jokes than seeming nervous.

They began handing the kits out right at 9. It was the Flowflex kit, 1 test per box, 2 boxes per person. My quick eyeball of the stock (the line moved fast, you walked into a room, got the tests, then walked out), there were probably 300-400 boxes there. I left around 9:15, people were still arriving but not at the rate as just before 9. My guess was if you were there before 9:30 you likely would get test kits.

Got my test kits today. Ihealth kits. I was trying to figure out if they could be proctored so I can use it to board a ship in Southampton and THEY CAN!! Taking all 4 with me (yeah overkill) but this way I won't have to search out a test there

We have had no issue in our area accessing test kits. They are distributed to our pharmacies. We simply drop by and ask for them. No charge. At first we were limited to one box (5 tests per box) per person. Now it is 2 boxes at a time. No line ups either time we have dropped by to pick up a box.

We both had covid. The great thing about the self tests is that we do not have to go into a clinic etc. to get tested and risk the possibility of infecting others while doing so.

I did the self test a second time when I felt better. Still tested positive.

A few days later we both re-tested and it showed as negative. For us that means staying home for a few days prior to going out. And then only with a mask.

I read yesterday that if you are on Medicare, you will be able to get 8 tests a month for free at the big chain pharmacies. Not clear when that starts. Does anyone here have more details?

Tested Wednesday then the website i needed to be tested within 2 days of boarding cruise ship so tested again this morning. No problem finding an appointment. Lab billing Medicare.

I'm wondering: each time they swab me they go to the very back of my nose. The resulting headache lasts all day. Does this happen to anyone else?

FWIW negative

I read yesterday that if you are on Medicare, you will be able to get 8 tests a month for free at the big chain pharmacies. Not clear when that starts. Does anyone here have more details?

We are able to get two tests/ per person/per week at our Kaiser pharmacy, and we are on medicare.

We don't need that many, but we have been getting some each month. Try to test weekly before going to pick up 2 yr old DGS, since he can't get vaxxed yet.

Back
Top Bottom