Wow, it’s getting really scary in Texas - and everywhere else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The family of my friend that died isn’t having a funeral. Instead there’s a virtual memorial page on Facebook. It’s the responsible thing to do.

In my Texas news we just got home from a day trip that involved driving down the main street of a nearby tourist town and observing how many of the couple of hundred folks we saw on the sidewalk, going in and out of businesses and restaurants, were wearing masks - darned few. My estimate is 10% to 15%, and most of those weren't young. I didn't search to see if the county had a "businesses must require patrons/customers to wear face coverings" order in effect but it didn't appear to be the case.

And there was absolutely no sign of anything resembling social distancing.

Only yesterday there was major news coverage about the huge surge in new cases in the area and the need to avoid the things that spread infection. Makes it tough to be optimistic we will get out of this anytime soon without appalling loss of life and severe damage to the long-term health of many thousands who survive severe illness.

I need a drink...
The worst part is its all mostly avoidable and unnecessary. We could have had this thing mostly contained by now.

Reactions: jj
In my Texas news we just got home from a day trip that involved driving down the main street of a nearby tourist town and observing how many of the couple of hundred folks we saw on the sidewalk, going in and out of businesses and restaurants, were wearing masks - darned few. My estimate is 10% to 15%, and most of those weren't young. I didn't search to see if the county had a "businesses must require patrons/customers to wear face coverings" order in effect but it didn't appear to be the case.

And there was absolutely no sign of anything resembling social distancing.

Only yesterday there was major news coverage about the huge surge in new cases in the area and the need to avoid the things that spread infection. Makes it tough to be optimistic we will get out of this anytime soon without appalling loss of life and severe damage to the long-term health of many thousands who survive severe illness.

I need a drink...
Yeah, super discouraging. Whatever message is falling on many deaf ears.

This epidemic was sudden, took us by storm. Logical thinking is out the window, just think about what we do/mandate for our safety to name a few:
Seatbelts, car seats for children, no smoking in public places, car emissions, protections for clean water, car manufacturers having to add new safety features with every new car, driving!!! Stop lights, stop signs, yield signs, speed limits, left/right turn rules, pedestrian walkways, dog leashes, shoveling snow, salt for ice on roads, semi truck rules of the road, burning leaves in your yard within city limits, appliance regulations, label warnings on packages, removal of lead from paint, regulations on pesticides used on food...when do citizens go screaming at city council meetings regarding their freedom over these safety regulations??

I’m sure there were big fights over each one at the time.

With the pandemic raging and so many ignoring common sense guidelines, this verse (Matthew 5:5) may be so true:

Blessed are the meek:
for they shall inherit the earth.

With the pandemic raging and so many ignoring common sense guidelines, this verse (Matthew 5:5) may be so true:

Blessed are the meek:

Perhaps.

But here is another data point, though not from Texas.
In my home state of Washington, I just returned from a walk in a not very crowded park. The Governor's rule is mask are to be worn inside at all time when one is awahy from home. Outside one must wear a mask when he/she can't stay at least feet from other people. At this park staying 6 feet away was a piece of cake. Staying 20 feet away is not a problem. Yet, I estimate about 1/3 of the people in the park were wearing masks.

I hope that means our recent upswing in new CV victims is temporary. OTOH, the current Rt has jumped from 1.09 to 1.14 in the past few days. :(A month ago it was hovering around 0.95. We can hope.

Perhaps.

But here is another data point, though not from Texas.
In my home state of Washington, I just returned from a walk in a not very crowded park. The Governor's rule is mask are to be worn inside at all time when one is awahy from home. Outside one must wear a mask when he/she can't stay at least feet from other people. At this park staying 6 feet away was a piece of cake. Staying 20 feet away is not a problem. Yet, I estimate about 1/3 of the people in the park were wearing masks.

I hope that means our recent upswing in new CV victims is temporary. OTOH, the current Rt has jumped from 1.09 to 1.14 in the past few days. :(A month ago it was hovering around 0.95. We can hope.

Has to be the younguns in the bars. Oh wait, bars aren't open in Washington. :facepalm:

Another data point:

Today Bexar County (San Antonio) set another record for new cases in a single day - 795. A month ago the daily average was 50. Charts showing the alarming growth of new cases and hospitalizations can be seen here.

The mayor issued an emergency alert (see below).

This is looking like we are headed for a true catastrophe.

Attachments

• Alert.JPG
    Alert.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
One thing I see is that this starting to affect people that I actually know. As I mentioned my stepdaughter was just diagnosed. But, it goes beyond that. A family member was in the hospital this week, non-Covid related (her Covid test was negative). She is over 90 and has pneumonia. While she was there they discovered that she needed a pacemaker (!) and that was done a couple of weeks ago. Anyway...she can have one visitor a day.

Then a friend of mine (also in Texas) has a husband who was in the hospital and is now in rehab. Again, non-Covid related. But, she could also see him once a day while in the hospital. Now that he is in rehab, she can't see him at all.

Maybe some of this will be wake up call to some of the people who deny. But I am not sure. I am on a group for people in my city and many are very anti-mask, anti-shutdown, etc. When an ER doctor tried to give them facts on masks (giving them a link to actual medical information) several people told him he was wrong and they linked to pages written by random people. They even argued that you shouldn't believe anything from the major hospitals or medical groups.... Sigh.

The thing is that this is a lot of what is driving the case growth in places like Texas. Once the stay at home order was over people just felt they didn't need to do anything. Where I live, the county has a lot of cases but there aren't a huge number in my specific area. They see our area as not being high risk. But we are in a major metropolitan area. But, the reality is that in general in this area the higher end suburbs are not as hard hit. But, that doesn't give us immunity. People come here and we go to other places, etc. But, I have literally seen someone ask on a group for a list of places that were going to comply with the county's mask order. That was fine. But, then some people said they wanted to know so they could avoid those places. They also wanted to know what places would defy the county order because they wanted to go there.

Dunno, reading some of the posts here make me think that multiple Darwin awards are about to be distributed.

......Blessed are the meek:

"But brother, by the time we get it, it'll be DE - PLETED!"

I couldn't resist, it was the only worthwhile dialog from the whole crappy movie. :D

Dunno, reading some of the posts here make me think that multiple Darwin awards are about to be distributed.

Yes, I think many will be awarded. Unfortunately, there will be collateral damage to others in the specie who will be awarded through no improper actions of themselves. Charles will miss this one.

One thing I see is that this starting to affect people that I actually know. As I mentioned my stepdaughter was just diagnosed. But, it goes beyond that. A family member was in the hospital this week, non-Covid related (her Covid test was negative). She is over 90 and has pneumonia. While she was there they discovered that she needed a pacemaker (!) and that was done a couple of weeks ago. Anyway...she can have one visitor a day.

Then a friend of mine (also in Texas) has a husband who was in the hospital and is now in rehab. Again, non-Covid related. But, she could also see him once a day while in the hospital. Now that he is in rehab, she can't see him at all.

Maybe some of this will be wake up call to some of the people who deny. But I am not sure. I am on a group for people in my city and many are very anti-mask, anti-shutdown, etc. When an ER doctor tried to give them facts on masks (giving them a link to actual medical information) several people told him he was wrong and they linked to pages written by random people. They even argued that you shouldn't believe anything from the major hospitals or medical groups.... Sigh.

The thing is that this is a lot of what is driving the case growth in places like Texas. Once the stay at home order was over people just felt they didn't need to do anything. Where I live, the county has a lot of cases but there aren't a huge number in my specific area. They see our area as not being high risk. But we are in a major metropolitan area. But, the reality is that in general in this area the higher end suburbs are not as hard hit. But, that doesn't give us immunity. People come here and we go to other places, etc. But, I have literally seen someone ask on a group for a list of places that were going to comply with the county's mask order. That was fine. But, then some people said they wanted to know so they could avoid those places. They also wanted to know what places would defy the county order because they wanted to go there.

Very good points. In early June my 83 year old Dad had to go to the ER and then ICU. Only my 80 year old Mom could be with him and one day they would not let her be there so Dad was alone for 24 hours. They really needed our help and we could not go in. Then he went to hospice and two people each 24 hours. He has six kids so some of the family said good-bye outside his window. It was all horrible.

Houston area hospitals say that despite fears to the contrary, they have ample capacity.

One hospital CEO calls level of alarm "unwarranted".

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/...ton-hospitals-ready-for-covid-surge-ceos-say/
Media hype.... While I'm sure the number of cases are greater than they were a few weeks ago, I think the media inflames the situation far beyond what it really is.... (Like they do for so many things) In this case, it's just another good reason for me to keep away from Houston/Dallas/San Antonio metro areas. They are all mega messes anyway.

With that said, it's still probably wise to slow down the re-openings until this is under better control and/or a cure or good treatment is available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom