Secret Consumer Score

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/business/secret-consumer-score-access.html

I got mine, and I found it shocking: More than 400 pages long, it contained all the messages I’d ever sent to hosts on Airbnb; years of Yelp delivery orders; a log of every time I’d opened the Coinbase app on my iPhone. Many entries included detailed information about the device I used to do these things, including my IP address at the time.

Sift knew, for example, that I’d used my iPhone to order chicken tikka masala, vegetable samosas and garlic naan on a Saturday night in April three years ago. It knew I used my Apple laptop to sign into Coinbase in January 2017 to change my password. Sift knew about a nightmare Thanksgiving I had in California’s wine country, as captured in my messages to the Airbnb host of a rental called “Cloud 9.”

I'm at the point in life where I really don't care about information floating around about me. As long as I can get homeowners and auto insurance at regular rates, that's all that matters to me. We're fortunate to not have to borrow $ any longer even.

I'm at the point in life where I really don't care about information floating around about me. As long as I can get homeowners and auto insurance at regular rates, that's all that matters to me. We're fortunate to not have to borrow $ any longer even.

+1.

I don't use any of the large (anti) social media apps, do use DDG for my search engine, and don't really give a <~ck about other mundane data being harvested on/about me.

My DH put tape over that little camera hole on my iMac. He said everyone he knows does that. That made me think what does AT & T know (see) through our T.V. We're pretty boring for the most part. Throw away most of our mail, I delete 95% of my e-mails without opening them. I don't use social media, meaning FB, Twitter etc. I guess medical stuff could hurt for pre existing conditions.

+1 and amen. we have a twitter account but only to monitor the natl wx service and state highway when we're on the road. no FB or anything else like it.

for just browsing I use a Linux Mint type laptop with an add on called badger that blocks the tracking stuff. Turns out that having a homepage set to G**gle was a no no if I didn't want to be tracked.

Back
Top Bottom