Increase in Heart Rate upon Standing

PatrickA5

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm about to throw my Apple Watch 5 out the window. It keeps telling me things that I've never known - and not in a good way. :(

In the past, I've noticed palpitations sometimes when I stand up after sitting for awhile. Since I had a blood pressure machine, I would take it sitting down and then after standing. There was usually very little change in BP. Now that I have my Apple Watch, I can monitor my heart rate continuously. I keep having episodes where my rate might jump from mid 50's to 110 or above - all within a couple of minutes of standing. It usually comes right back down within another 5 minutes or so. My worst one was 48 - 118 for an increase of 70bpm within 3 minutes. Needless to say, I can really tell when it's happening.

Of course when I went to my cardiologist, my heart rate went from 58 to 59. But, there's really no way to recreate the event in a 15 minute office visit. He didn't have an answer and suggested compression socks and drinking more water.

Anybody else have events like this?

FWIW, some people have reported erratic readings due to the watch not being tight enough on their wrist. Something you might want to consider. I believe Apple has mentioned this in some of their documentation.

A heart rate of 118 would be noticeable in ways other than just looking at your watch. Did you have a feeling of a heart rate that high?

FWIW, some people have reported erratic readings due to the watch not being tight enough on their wrist. Something you might want to consider. I believe Apple has mentioned this in some of their documentation.

It's not the watch. I get the same results with my oximeter. That and I can really tell when it's happening - lightheadedness, chest tightening, etc. It's worse because I tend to have a low heart rate to begin with. Oh well. Another reason to start SS early, :(

A heart rate of 118 would be noticeable in ways other than just looking at your watch. Did you have a feeling of a heart rate that high?

Yes, lightheadedness, chest and throat fill like they are closing up. Haven't fainted yet, but have come close. I thought I might have POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome), but for those people the heart rate jumps upon standing and doesn't go back down.

It's not the watch. I get the same results with my oximeter. That and I can really tell when it's happening - lightheadedness, chest tightening, etc. It's worse because I tend to have a low heart rate to begin with. Oh well. Another reason to start SS early, :(

All seem like good indications that perhaps you should discuss this with your doc.

I'm about to throw my Apple Watch 5 out the window. It keeps telling me things that I've never known - and not in a good way. :(

In the past, I've noticed palpitations sometimes when I stand up after sitting for awhile. Since I had a blood pressure machine, I would take it sitting down and then after standing. There was usually very little change in BP. Now that I have my Apple Watch, I can monitor my heart rate continuously. I keep having episodes where my rate might jump from mid 50's to 110 or above - all within a couple of minutes of standing. It usually comes right back down within another 5 minutes or so. My worst one was 48 - 118 for an increase of 70bpm within 3 minutes. Needless to say, I can really tell when it's happening.

Of course when I went to my cardiologist, my heart rate went from 58 to 59. But, there's really no way to recreate the event in a 15 minute office visit. He didn't have an answer and suggested compression socks and drinking more water.

Anybody else have events like this?

Your phone now has your history, and you can show your doctor the events as well as take notes about what is happening.

Yes, lightheadedness, chest and throat fill like they are closing up. Haven't fainted yet, but have come close. I thought I might have POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome), but for those people the heart rate jumps upon standing and doesn't go back down.

When I was younger, even as a kid, I would get heart palpitations similar to what you describe. Out of the blue, I would get a racing heart. The doctors never figured it out. They are rare, if they happen at all now. One thing a doctor told me and it worked, was to hold my breath for a few seconds and that would stop the heart from racing. I think it worked every time.

All seem like good indications that perhaps you should discuss this with your doc.

I did. Went to both PCP and Cardiologist last week. They don't know what's going on. My guess is I have a screwed up Autonomic system, but there are few doctors that specialize in Dysautonomia and none in my state.

Last Summer, when I went to my Cardiologist for my annual checkup he noticed my heart rate was low (45). He had me do a Echocardiogram, Stress Test and 48 hour holter monitor. All came back fine - with the holter monitor confirming the low heart rate. There were some spikes into the 100's, but at the time I didn't know about the increase upon standing. I'm sure that was when the spikes were happening. He said the heart itself was fine and figured I might be having problems with the Vagus Nerve not responding right.

I've started with a new Neurologist last week, hoping to figure something out.

Good luck. I had nonspecific tachycardia back in 2015, very unnerving. They initially said it was dehydration and perhaps that made it worse. I eventually changed my diet, lost weight, and it disappeared.

A measured heart rate of 45?! I'd be unconscious at that low rate! I don't think I've seen mine below about 67 ever, when taking BP on home machines, and that's when I'm real calm (not at a Dr. office!). Maybe your resting heart rate is too LOW, and when standing, like the Giraffe, the heart rate needs to come up a lot to pump up that high (to head). Your control system may have a lot to handle with such a low idle rate. Maybe your idle screw needs to be turned up on your carburetor.

A measured heart rate of 45?! I'd be unconscious at that low rate! I don't think I've seen mine below about 67 ever, when taking BP on home machines, and that's when I'm real calm (not at a Dr. office!). Maybe your resting heart rate is too LOW, and when standing, like the Giraffe, the heart rate needs to come up a lot to pump up that high (to head). Your control system may have a lot to handle with such a low idle rate. Maybe your idle screw needs to be turned up on your carburetor.

I think 65-70 is the average resting heart rate. Mine gets down to about 54 ish, but I have runner friends that get into the 40's.

I think 65-70 is the average resting heart rate. Mine gets down to about 54 ish, but I have runner friends that get into the 40's.
Mine was at 33 when I checked myself into the ER. My former PCP didn't want me to have hypertension. [emoji849] Blithering idiot tried to kill me from his grave.

OP are you on meds, like beta blockers, that lower your heart rate?

Your watch is going to kill you from stress. Throw it away.

Mine was at 33 when I checked myself into the ER. My former PCP didn't want me to have hypertension. [emoji849] Blithering idiot tried to kill me from his grave.

OP are you on meds, like beta blockers, that lower your heart rate?

No. My only meds are a Statin, baby aspirin and Finasteride (for enlarged prostate - which I'm probably going to stop taking).

OP - I'm no cardiologist, but MIL is having heart issues. Her doc is putting her on a heart monitor for a month. Maybe your 48 hour heart monitoring wasn't a long enough time period to detect anomalies.

Sounds like postural hypotension to me, but IANAD. More of a blood pressure thing than a heart rate thing.

I wish you the best of luck. That being said I don't think I'd ask for medical advice on a financial forum. Just sayin'. Maybe a second opinion?

A stress echo and a 48-hour Holter monitor sounds like a reasonable workup for the symptoms you’ve described. Can’t add any suggestions to what your cardiologist has already recently done.

Sounds like postural hypotension to me, but IANAD. More of a blood pressure thing than a heart rate thing.

Orthostatic Hypotension is a drop in blood pressure upon standing. The symptoms are similar to what I have, but my blood pressure actually goes up a little upon standing.

OP - I'm no cardiologist, but MIL is having heart issues. Her doc is putting her on a heart monitor for a month. Maybe your 48 hour heart monitoring wasn't a long enough time period to detect anomalies.

I can't imagine having one of those things on for a month. I couldn't stand it for 2 days.

I've read they have a new devise that is really small that they insert under your skin that is suppose to monitor for 3 months.

I wish you the best of luck. That being said I don't think I'd ask for medical advice on a financial forum. Just sayin'. Maybe a second opinion?

I've been to a lot of doctors over the last 5 years trying to figure out what my symptoms represent (chronic lightheadedness, poor balance, slurred words, etc). I'm pretty sure it's all some kind of neurological problem, but haven't found a cause yet. I've been to 3 Neurologists, Neurotologist (inner ear), Neuropthamologist (eye/brain) and a Neuropsychologist. I think the low heart rate and sudden increase in heart rate upon standing are brain related. My cardiologist seems to think that's possible as he's pretty much ruled out heart related problems. I had a brain/neck MRI yesterday ordered by a Neurologist that specializes in MS to rule that out. Maybe a neuroproctologist can help :blush:

I get it. Physical issues without a firm diagnosis is frustrating. All I can say is you're your own best advocate. Be relentless. Doctors are trying to help but sometimes it can be the one thing that they miss. I know you're looking for support which I hope you feel you have. I wish the best for you.

Back
Top Bottom