Wind Damage To Roof

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I see a lot of my neighbors are having new roofs installed and I chatted with one who said it due to wind damage and their insurance paid. Now I’m getting several contractors knocking on the door saying I should file a claim. I looked at the roof more closely from ground level and it looks good for a 20 yr old roof. I called my insurance anyway and they scheduled an inspection. The inspector said we had significant wind damage.

What can I expect from my insurance company? The roof is 20 yrs old, builder grade asphalt shingles and I think my deductible is 1% for wind damage.

I had a 10 yr old roof replaced due to hail damage.

The ins. company gave me an allowance limit of approx $6,000 to replace the roof. I easily found a local 20 yr old roofing company (NOT a drive by roofer). Who gave me a real estimate of slightly less than the quote for more vents and better shingles.
I sent the quote to the Ins company and they sent me a check once the roof was done.
I only paid a deductible (had other damage as well, but that is the roof part).

Check your siding, windows, etc in case some peeled off in the winds.

I'm always amazed at the number of roofs that have to be replaced when a house is 10 years old--after a thunderstorm. Virtually every day, I hear air hammers in our neighborhood replacing shingles.

It's amazing that my roof never had any damage. It's almost like the neighborhood had a small army of roofing salesmen descend upon it.

My father put a 20 year builder's grade roof on his new retirement house. He said I can deal with the next roof after he's gone, but he lived another 30 years. He reroofed the house with a 3 tab dimensional shingle of the highest quality, and I was very thankful.

Now I see roofs that are perfectly good, but show signs of mold and mildew. And people will replace them periodically when they look so bad. I had a roofer tell me a roof on my new (to me) house costs $20K--yikes.

I can’t believe the insurance company will pay me anything to replace a 20 yr old roof. I’ve never had a claim in 38 yrs. My neighborhood has armies of sales and roofing teams right now. We had some high winds but I never saw an issue with my roof.

Read policy carefully.... I thought I had 1% on my roof, but it was stated at 2%...

Also, I thought I had replacement cost but.... it loses replacement cost after 10 years...

So, after all was said and done I got 25% toward a new rood... now, that was 3 years ago and the old one is doing just fine...

But, will probably replace this year as it is 22 to 25 years old which is REALLY old here in Houston...

Honestly, damage can be hard to see sometimes, but it can be there.
After we had a hail storm, and I saw neighbors getting inspected, I turned down a few fellows looking to inspect.

Finally I decided it would not hurt, and the next drive by roofer asked to inspect it (I went up with him so he didn't make holes ! ).

He pointed out the problems, and I could see them once I knew what to look for, by the way I've done a few of my own roofs.

When I had the insurance adjuster come and look at the roof (without the driveby guy there). My insurance adjuster was careful, checked the entire roof (not like the driveby guy) and told me I needed a new roof.

We got a new roof 2 years ago after Hurricane Irma. Nice red tile roof, still bright and shiny.

I'm amazed at how many people have knocked on the door telling us they notice we need a new roof. You'd think they would be embarrassed.

We had our roof replaced last year due to hail damage. We had to pay the deductible and we wanted a higher quality shingle than was standard and had to pay the difference in price between the two. Other than that, our homeowner's insurance covered it all. The roof was 15+ years old.

I got the Ins co report but I’m having trouble understanding what I’m looking at. It appears the depreciation was minor and the deductible was only 1k. I’ll need to re-check the policy and meet with adjuster. The two contractors I spoke with claimed they would accept the insurance settlement and upgrade to a premium shingle (which is becoming standard these days). Can’t believe I can get a new roof this way. It was one of the major lumpy expense overhangs to my RE.

We had our roof replaced last year due to hail damage. We had to pay the deductible and we wanted a higher quality shingle than was standard and had to pay the difference in price between the two. Other than that, our homeowner's insurance covered it all. The roof was 15+ years old.

Same here, the insurance company replaced my roof 3 years ago due to wind damage. My roof was 18 years old. I had to pay the deductible and I paid extra for a higher quality architectural shingle. I was very pleased.

...So, after all was said and done I got 25% toward a new rood... now, that was 3 years ago and the old one is doing just fine...

So you got a check for 25% from the insurer but didn't have to replace the roof?

We bought a house in 1986 that was built ~1970. Around 2008, I had 3 roofers look at it because I knew it was old... but the shingles laid flat and other than along some of the edges of the garage roof there was no visible wear and never a leak. One guy told me I had 2-3 years left, another was 4-5 and another was 5-7. We sold the house in 2012 and the home inspector found no leaks or areas of concern.... just that the roof was old. I drove by a few years ago and it still hadn't been replaced.

If it ain't broke.....

So you got a check for 25% from the insurer but didn't have to replace the roof?

We bought a house in 1986 that was built ~1970. Around 2008, I had 3 roofers look at it because I knew it was old... but the shingles laid flat and other than along some of the edges of the garage roof there was no visible wear and never a leak. One guy told me I had 2-3 years left, another was 4-5 and another was 5-7. We sold the house in 2012 and the home inspector found no leaks or areas of concern.... just that the roof was old. I drove by a few years ago and it still hadn't been replaced.

If it ain't broke.....

Yep, the guy who inspected the roof actually handed me a check on the spot!

He said if I get the roof replaced and there is something he did not see to call him for any adjustments.... the roof looks good except for the places where a larger hailstone hit... it has a bit of the gravel off... no leaks...

I will probably get it replaced this year as it is getting really old even though it seems to be working just fine...

I got the Ins co report but I’m having trouble understanding what I’m looking at. It appears the depreciation was minor and the deductible was only 1k. I’ll need to re-check the policy and meet with adjuster. The two contractors I spoke with claimed they would accept the insurance settlement and upgrade to a premium shingle (which is becoming standard these days). Can’t believe I can get a new roof this way. It was one of the major lumpy expense overhangs to my RE.

Be cautious (in other words don't) using the drive around contractors as they will drive to another State next month and be gone, plus often do a cheap job. I've seen neighbors have this done.

Best to research local existing roofing companies, just as if you were paying on your own and have them come look and take the insurance amount.

Yes, I too was surprised, and happy to have my roof done as it was about 10 yrs old, but double layered. Easily saved me around $6,000 expense just on the roof.

After having to replace our roof 2x in the span of 25 years due to shingle failure with "quality" 30-35yr shingles from different well known manufacturers I finally bit the bullet and had a metal roof installed. I'm through with shingles. The new roof is not the inexpensive type where they have exposed screws that tend to back themselves out but standing seam with all edges crimped and sealed around the eaves. This was about 7 years ago. We live a couple of blocks from the beach in Florida subject to hurricanes and strong nor'easters but I don't expect to deal with roof replacement ever again.

Cheers!

Pretty soon roof damage is going to become like flood damage: a national pool insurance.

I'm really wondering where this is going. Everyone around me is getting "free" roofs for dubious reasons and my premiums just go up.

I refuse to participate because my roof clearly just has normal wear and tear.

Pretty soon roof damage is going to become like flood damage: a national pool insurance.

I'm really wondering where this is going. Everyone around me is getting "free" roofs for dubious reasons and my premiums just go up.

I refuse to participate because my roof clearly just has normal wear and tear.

I tend to agree with you. I was prepared to bite the bullet and just as you say everyone around here is getting a free roof. I found bits of shingles in my yard but I have no idea where they came from and I can't see any damage. The roof looks "OK" for it's age. I was fully expecting the Insurance company to say "sorry, no damage" or "here's your check for $500 after depreciation and deductible are applied".

Their inspector reported "substantial wind damage". I couldn't understand the repair estimate they sent to me. It seems to include some upgrades required by code. I've been playing phone tag with the Insurance Adjuster to have him explain. In the meantime THEY SENT ME THE CHECK! I thought they would wait until I accepted the estimate. The check is payable to me, DW, and THE MORTGAGE COMPANY. I just checked the mortgage company website and they have a convoluted process to handle this situation.

If our insurance premiums are going to be affected by this trend anyway, why not get some benefit out of it?

If our insurance premiums are going to be affected by this trend anyway, why not get some benefit out of it?

Well, I see your point! It just doesn't feel good to me though. Something is wrong.

It is like the Food Panic thread discussion. Everyone is getting in line so I better too. Grab what I can.

I have a high deductible so I guess that tempers me a bit on going for this. I still may consider it. Gotta think about it and look at my heart inside and perhaps put away emotion and just think of it as a standard available monetary transaction.

Well, I see your point! It just doesn't feel good to me though. Something is wrong.

It is like the Food Panic thread discussion. Everyone is getting in line so I better too. Grab what I can.

I have a high deductible so I guess that tempers me a bit on going for this. I still may consider it. Gotta think about it and look at my heart inside and perhaps put away emotion and just think of it as a standard available monetary transaction.

I thought my deductible was 1% of insured value for wind damage but it is actually only $1000.

I was a bit reluctant to ask for an inspection but a contractor that I am familiar with told me he could see damage without even getting on the roof. I was still skeptical. The adjuster explained that we have an endorsement that qualifies for an upgrade to current codes.

Another contractor that I reached out to says that if the state law prohibits a premium increase based on a wind damage claim (which I don't actually buy since they can always find some other justification).

I’m still in the process of selecting a contractor to do the work. In the meantime my renewal notice came! The premium increase was 20%, but it is still very very reasonable. I asked for an explanation so I’m waiting for an agent to respond. The renewal still lists a claim free discount and the agent confirmed what a contractor told me I.e. insurance co cannot jack up the rate due to a wind damage claim.

I just called to get a quote to redo my roof...

The guy said that they now have 50 year guarantee roof and that it is 100% covered for wind damage.... no more going through insurance....

I think I will get that for my new one...

A neighbor of mine here in TX has 50 year shingles on his roof. His house was built originally with wood shake, but after a long-past hail storm, his insurance company said no more wood roof, they would pay for a 50 year composition shingle roof. That shingle roof took certain certified installers to do it, so after the next really big hail storm, he had to wait quite a while for them to become available to replace the 50 year roof again. The 50 year warranty did not cover big hail, just normal wear.

I’ll see your 50 year shingle roof and raise you a lifetime asphalt shingle roof. I am very very skeptical of a lifetime warranty. A warranty on the shingle won’t help much if the wind damages the roof structure.

We re considering the slate-look asphalt shingles which are a few levels up from the builder grade 25 yr shingles we currently have.

Finally got all the work completed. DW was too nervous about coronavirus so we waited until last week in the blistering heat. Insurance company paid 75% less deductible up front. We had a replacement policy that covers depreciation and upgrades to code (drip edge and synthetic ice and water shield). They paid the rest after the roofer provided a certificate of completion. The architectural shingles have become the standard around here. The roofer also re-did my 10x16 shed for no charge. This roofer did four of our neighbors homes too, all covered by insurance. We got lucky with the replacement policy. We switched away from State Farm because the premiums kept jumping up and the new policy was about 1/2 of what we were paying before. I feel like we hit the lottery.

North Texas is known for it's hailstorms and I guess the insurance companies are getting hit too much with claims due to frequent storms. We just received our renewal policy notification in the mail and the insurance company is doing away with replacement cost coverage for roofing and going to actual cash value coverage. This now means in addition to the deductible which for my policy is 2%, I would now be hit with depreciation which would be 20% of the roof cost for a 10 yo roof. Maybe time to shop for another insurer, unless they are all doing likewise.

North Texas is known for it's hailstorms and I guess the insurance companies are getting hit too much with claims due to frequent storms. We just received our renewal policy notification in the mail and the insurance company is doing away with replacement cost coverage for roofing and going to actual cash value coverage. This now means in addition to the deductible which for my policy is 2%, I would now be hit with depreciation which would be 20% of the roof cost for a 10 yo roof. Maybe time to shop for another insurer, unless they are all doing likewise.

I guess the theory is you can pay them now or you can pay later if you actually need a new roof. Pick your poison....falling interest rates are going to impact insurance premiums ...

Back
Top Bottom