Buying Flights - What if airline goes BK?

RenoJay

Full time employment: Posting here.
There are some fabulous, cancellable flight options available currently. Does anyone know what happens to your money, and ability to get where you're going, if you buy tickets, and then the airline goes bankrupt prior to your flight?

As I recall, when Braniff went belly up, you were SOL. I surmise you would be on the lowest level of claims in a Bankruptcy.

As I recall, when Braniff went belly up, you were SOL. I surmise you would be on the lowest level of claims in a Bankruptcy.

DW was on a trip when Skybus went belly up. The credit card she bought tickets with refunded her money.

Your fare is an unsecured loan... and if they go BK you may have to pay again to get where you want to go. Not long ago the UK government tried to rescue stranded travelers after Thomas Cook went pear shaped, but no help at all for those not yet embarked.

If you pay direct you are an unsecured creditor, which means you may get some or (unlikely) all of your money back sometime in the distant future when the BK is settled.

If you pay with a credit card, the card issuer should refund your payment fairly quickly.

You know what would be the cherry on top. Mother nature wreaking havoc with rains and floods. Didn't I read this in a book somewhere once? :facepalm:

Your fare is an unsecured loan... and if they go BK you may have to pay again to get where you want to go. Not long ago the UK government tried to rescue stranded travelers after Thomas Cook went pear shaped, but no help at all for those not yet embarked.

11 U.S.C. Sec 507(a)(7) gives a priority of up to $2775 for consumers who have paid a deposit for goods or services not delivered by the debtor. So, your claim comes after secured creditors, administrative expenses and certain higher priority claims, but its is not as bad as a general unsecured creditor.

You know what would be the cherry on top. Mother nature wreaking havoc with rains and floods. Didn't I read this in a book somewhere once? :facepalm:

Don't forget the frogs, flies, gnats, locusts, etc.

I usually have already drunk them even before I pay for them.

914BbutiE1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom