Dqotd

Status
Not open for further replies.

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With all of the uncertainty wouldn't it be prudent to just shutdown the markets until the medical community gets its arms around the situation ?

Don't like it. I think that just adds to the uncertainty. And might feed the doom-and-gloomers (OMG, it must be REALLY BAD if they shut the markets, this is historic! Oh-Noes!) .

And what about people who might need to sell from time-to-time to fund their living expenses? They would be hurt.

Nope. Don't like. No hows, no ways. Let it play out.

I noticed a sig on this forum the other day, a Peter Lynch quote? Something like ' more damage has been done preparing for downturns than the downturn itself has caused? Something like that?

OK, found one ref here:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/39...orrection-even-starts-advice-from-peter-lynch

"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections or trying to anticipate corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." - Peter Lynch

-ERD50

Doesn't matter whether it is a good idea or not. There is too much money involved in the investment industry = lots of people would fight such an idea. Illiquidity for legitimate needs, lost salaries due to layoffs, inability to hedge by real commodity creators and consumers, ... Plus, as @ERD50 points out, certain investor psychology impacts but of what kind?

In the "Money talks, and BS walks" spectrum, me thinks this topic would be placed on the BS side of center.

What would you gain by shutting markets ? CBOE has moved to all electronic for a period of time, Several markets are all electronic also. With these there is no gathering of people greater than X. I could see those with a floor trading move more or all to electronic as good in that it could reduce chance of transmission. I think closures should be carefully considered and implemented only when a clear advantage. In this case potentially limiting the virus transmission. Just me $0.02

Shutting down the markets seems to me to be similar to the 'Whip Inflation Now' approach. You can't quarantine water that is trying to reach it's appropriate level. I think that the market circuit breakers did allow things to settle a bit. Eventually, some of the emotional panic selling will settle, and a new normal will be established. It will be interesting when the quarterly reports come in- some retailers will be bonkers because of panic buying, followed by low sales because everyone has enough TP for a year. Others will be down, but counting on pent-up demand to recover.

Dumb comment that I heard yesterday- I need to stock up on toilet paper because it is all made in China!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom