Lessons from My First Year of Retirement

ER Eddie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lessons from the First Year of Retirement

I’m approaching my one-year retirement anniversary, so I thought I’d share the main lessons I’ve learned. If you’re approaching retirement, you might find some of this helpful. If you’ve already retired, maybe you’ll relate to some of this, or perhaps your experience has been different.

1. Hey, an economic collapse. Neat.

The economy went into a tailspin 9 months after I retired. After only 9 months, my retirement felt like a newborn baby, and baby was getting smacked around pretty early in life.

But, as it turns out, economic catastrophes aren’t so catastrophic after all. At least so far. The world is burning, but I’m doing okay. Sing along now: “It’s the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.”

2. I figured out when I’m going back to work: never

Approaching retirement, in the back of my mind, I had a fallback option of turning retirement into a “gap year” or two, if it didn’t pan out. That is, I thought that I might choose to return to part-time work, after a year or two’s hiatus. That wasn’t the plan, but it was a failsafe option.

I wondered, “What if I miss the intellectual stimulation or challenge of work? What if I miss interacting with smart people in my profession? What if I can’t find enough activities that feel meaningful and productive?”

Well, none of that happened. I am more intellectually stimulated and challenged now in retirement than I was at work. I occasionally miss some of the interaction with colleagues, but interactions in the workplace were narrow in scope, because of the professional roles and tasks. I interact with a wider range of smart people now, and I feel freer to express what I think about a variety of issues I’d never talk about at work. And I haven’t had any trouble finding meaningful things to do.

So, my career is over. It feels a little sad to say that, but also freeing. I don’t say it with any negativity. I never got “sick of” my job or anything like that. I always liked it at least a little. I just know that I’m done with it. My career is part of my past now. It’s in the rear-view mirror, and I’m not going back.

3. I significantly underestimated my expenses

I tracked spending before I retired, but I sort of half-assed it. I used old, limited data from a time when I was in “saving for retirement” mode.

When I actually retired, I ended up spending a lot more money than normal, especially in the first 6 months. I opened the spigot. I was celebrating. I bought whatever I felt like buying -- a bike, camping gear, a dog, some furniture, a ton of books and music, clothes, some stupid ****. Also, once I retired, I noticed a bunch of stuff that needed replacing or upgrading, which I’d been putting off while working.

Yearly expenses were $5000/yr. higher than expected. Not a lot in actual dollar terms, but looked at as a percentage, that’s 15% higher than what I projected (38K vs. 33K/yr.). That’s not a problem – I jacked up my spending on purpose, and I’ve got plenty of headroom -- but it is substantially higher than what I estimated.

In retrospect, I think I unconsciously kept the estimates as low as I could, because by doing that, I could feel safer and more secure when pulling the plug.

We’ll see how this plays out over the next few years. I feel better now that I have a more realistic estimate of my spending. And I take some comfort knowing that I can dial back expenses 15% if I need to.

However, if you’re approaching retirement, be aware you might tend to underestimate expenses, just like I did.

4. The honeymoon lasted about 6 to 9 months

I was very happy in retirement for the first 6 to 9 months. Gradually, though, that feeling ebbed, and eventually, I returned to my baseline levels of happiness.

I think it’s called hedonic adaptation. If I remember right, most people who win the lottery are back to baseline levels of happiness in about 6 to 12 months, and so are most people diagnosed with cancer. So, it’s not surprising that something similar happens with retirement. We adjust to changes. Retirement becomes “the new normal.”

One distinction, though: If you ask me whether I’m more satisfied with my life now that I’m retired, I’d say “Yes, absolutely.” I’m just saying my day-to-day mood is not all that much better than it was before I retired. Probably a little.

So, just be aware that retirement doesn’t put a permanent smile on your face. If my experience is any gauge, you’ll have a honeymoon period where everything feels great, and then you’ll gradually return to baseline. You might feel a little better on a day-to-day basis, but don’t expect huge changes.

Two caveats:

1. I always enjoyed my work (at least somewhat), and I had already been working in a very easy part-time schedule for years prior to retirement, so I didn’t experience what many people here do -- a miserable/stressful work life, contrasted with the blissful release of retirement. If you have the latter, I’ll bet your honeymoon period will be more enjoyable and long-lasting.

2. It’s possible that the virus and economic collapse took a little wind out of my sails. That might be a factor, too. It’s hard to say.

I don’t want to leave the impression that I’m unhappy in retirement. Not at all. I’m enjoying my retirement and have no regrets.

5. I needed “meaningful work” sooner than I expected

Once, on another retirement forum, I got blasted for suggesting that people need a sense of meaning/purpose in retirement. Some guy got really pissed with me for saying so, and despite my assurances that if it didn’t apply to him, never mind, he continued to rant and rave about it in all caps. Apparently, some people get very upset with the suggestion that having a sense of meaning in life is important.

So, if this doesn’t fit for you, junk it. I’m talking about me. I’m not talking about what you or anyone else “should” do. I’m just speaking for myself.

I need a sense of meaning and purpose in life. That doesn’t mean I need to be engaged in meaningful activities all the time or even most of the time. I can fart around and waste time with the best of them, and I spend plenty of time just resting, relaxing, and doing nothing in particular. No problem with that.

However, at the end of the day (or life), I need to also feel like I did something meaningful with some of my time. I can’t just fart around all day, every day, and feel good about myself. I’m not wired that way.

So, I knew that part of what happy retirement meant for me was to eventually find “meaningful work.” By that I don’t mean paid employment – I mean an enjoyable project that uses my skills/knowledge and that also, hopefully, makes the world a little better place, even in a small, minor way. My career supplied some of that, so I knew that eventually, I’d need to find something else that scratched that itch.

I didn’t expect to feel that need for a couple years into retirement, though. It was way down my priority list, when planning. I had other sources of meaning (e.g., learning, growth, taking care of animals, etc.) which were more important to me than my career, so I didn’t think I’d feel the need for “meaningful work” right away.

And I didn’t. For the first six months of retirement, I wanted nothing to do with anything that even remotely resembled “w*rk.” Yuck. I just wanted to do whatever I felt like doing, day to day. I wanted to be completely free and unencumbered.

However, after about six months, I felt the need asserting itself. I’ve pondered and experimented quite a bit, and I’m still experimenting, but blogging is working out well for me so far. It’s a good fit for me. I get absorbed in it; the subject (animal afterlife) feels worthwhile to me, and I feel better after doing it.

I am usually able to keep a pretty good balance, where I work on it a couple hours a day, then have the rest of the day “free.” If I go for long stretches (which I can do sometimes, because I lose track of time), I will take a break for as long as I need. I want it to stay enjoyable and not turn into a “job” or an obligation.

So, for anyone who’s like me, the issue of meaningful work may pop up sooner than you expect. It has been a significant piece of the puzzle for me.

6. The lure of social media

I’m single, don’t have a family to occupy my time, and I’m not into watching TV or movies, travel, going to sporting events etc.. So, now that I am retired and don’t have a career, I have a ton of free time. I like it that way – lots of freedom, peace, and spaciousness. But along with that comes the temptation to waste that time on social media.

Social media has its upsides, of course, but the downsides are pernicious and covert. I have to keep an eye on my consumption, or I end up wasting too much time and energy on it. I’ve been aware of the problem for many years, but retirement has made it more salient, because of all the increased free time. I have to keep an eye on it.

For example, it’s very easy for me to go on a Facebook or Reddit group and spend an hour reading threads and making posts. Then I get sucked into discussions that don’t amount to a hill of beans. On Youtube, it’s very easy to spend a lot of time scrolling through the recommendations or subscriptions. News/politics in particular are very toxic and distracting.

So, in retirement, I’ve had to become pretty vigilant about my use of social media. If I’m not careful, I can end up wasting too much of my time and energy on it, and my life suffers. It may sound like a trivial thing, but it has a huge impact on the quality of my day to day life.

------

So, those are my main lessons from the first year of retirement. I learned some other things, but they only pertain to me, not others, so I’ll leave them out. Hopefully, you found something to relate to or some food for thought. Cheers.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts, thanks for posting. I’m sure we all see some of those in ourselves.

I have heard if you address purpose, community and structure, you are on your way. Would you agree?

Wow Eddie a year already? I just finished my first year too. Thanks for the insights.

I am avoiding social media in this way: not on FB, I am on Twitter which I uses as a new source. I never post. I follow nieces/nephews and a few personalities I like on Instagram. But I do not post per se.

Not going to get into the silliness I hear a lot of my friends complaining about. It is possible to know too much about people, you know?

So, just be aware that retirement doesn’t put a permanent smile on your face. If my experience is any gauge, you’ll have a honeymoon period where everything feels great, and then you’ll gradually return to baseline.
With regard to level of happiness, in my 11th year of retirement I am still in the honeymoon phase.

BUT - - that said - - this COVID-19 lockdown has been terribly depressing and took a lot of fun out of my life for a while. Now that the New Orleans area is recovering and we are able to get out and do more things, life is getting a lot better.

I guess what I am saying is that in your case, you might still be in the honeymoon phase but not know it because of the effects of a horrific worldwide pandemic on one's level of happiness. That's perfectly understandable! I'd say maybe wait a year and re-assess. :D

I'm getting close, so it's nice to read this. Thanks for posting!
You bet. Good luck to you.

With regard to level of happiness, in my 11th year of retirement I am still in the honeymoon phase.
[....]

I guess what I am saying is that in your case, you might still be in the honeymoon phase but not know it because of the effects of a horrific worldwide pandemic on one's level of happiness. That's perfectly understandable! I'd say maybe wait a year and re-assess. :D

Wow, that's a long honeymoon, heh.

You might consider, though, that perhaps you just think it's been an 11-year honeymoon precisely because it's been 11 years, and you've forgotten how intoxicating the first few months felt. That's what I'm talking about when I say "honeymoon" -- maybe that wasn't clear. By "honeymoon," I mean the intoxicating rush you feel in those first few months.

I don't think that initial intoxication lasts or is meant to. Like all highs, it fades over time. That's just how the brain works. It adapts to all sorts of changes, good and bad.

That's not to say you can't enjoy and appreciate your retirement for as long as you live.

As for me, yeah, it's possible that the lockdown dampened my mood a little, although I'm an introvert, and I've taken most of this in stride. I know myself pretty well, and I can sense that my mood has come off the initial intoxication and has returned to normal. It is probably a little higher than before retirement, although it's hard to say how much. My normal baseline mood is probably about a 7 on a 10 point scale, so I'm good, no complaints.

I have heard if you address purpose, community and structure, you are on your way. Would you agree?

Yes to a sense of purpose and community/connection. "Structure" is tricky, because to some people, the word "structure" feels constricting. To me, it just means having some sort of plan for how you'll spend your time, as opposed to waking up every morning with no idea what you're going to do. Some people like more structure, and some are fine with very little. I don't think there's any right answer.

Here are some other ingredients I've found important for me, which may or may not fit into those three categories:

- Rest, ease, relaxation (the other three categories are active, this one helps with balance)
- Physical health (could be part of structure, of course, but deserves separate mention)
- Enjoyment, contentment (don't forget to enjoy yourself!)
- Fun, humor, play (I tend to be overly serious, so this is an important reminder for me)
- Reducing time-wasters (social media, etc.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. #3 hits the mark for us. We want to retire next year and when I run the simulations with "normal" spending, we are good to go. Then I get the what ifs and convince myself that one more year would be a nice buffer. Then I simulate three more years and we would never worry about money. Then I simulate a market crash followed by stagflation. And on, and on, and on it goes until I can never retire. A $47k COLA pension and $55k SS @ 70 should be plenty. But what if....?

Glad to hear your are having fun!

Yup, spending up, way up! Blow That Dough!

Now retired 6 years, still in honeymoon phase.

Not going back to work.

Have no need for meaningful work or a "purpose for my life"

I have been retired 12 years. My first stage was the need to just chill out .Stage 2 was find a life . I joined a gym, a few clubs and i also started an online business which became very successful .We also traveled a lot . This stage went on for ten years . I am now in my winding down stage . Still work out , still belong to a few clubs but travel is down .I really don't remember any really euphoric stage but I tend to be low key .

Last edited:

I’m approaching my one-year retirement anniversary, so I thought I’d share the main lessons I’ve learned. If you’re approaching retirement, you might find some of this helpful. If you’ve already retired, maybe you’ll relate to some of this, or perhaps your experience has been different.

The economy went into a tailspin 9 months after I retired. After only 9 months, my retirement felt like a newborn baby, and baby was getting smacked around pretty early in life.

But, as it turns out, economic catastrophes aren’t so catastrophic after all. At least so far. The world is burning, but I’m doing okay. Sing along now: “It’s the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.”

Approaching retirement, in the back of my mind, I had a fallback option of turning retirement into a “gap year” or two, if it didn’t pan out. That is, I thought that I might choose to return to part-time work, after a year or two’s hiatus. That wasn’t the plan, but it was a failsafe option.

I wondered, “What if I miss the intellectual stimulation or challenge of work? What if I miss interacting with smart people in my profession? What if I can’t find enough activities that feel meaningful and productive?”

Well, none of that happened. I am more intellectually stimulated and challenged now in retirement than I was at work. I occasionally miss some of the interaction with colleagues, but interactions in the workplace were narrow in scope, because of the professional roles and tasks. I interact with a wider range of smart people now, and I feel freer to express what I think about a variety of issues I’d never talk about at work. And I haven’t had any trouble finding meaningful things to do.

So, my career is over. It feels a little sad to say that, but also freeing. I don’t say it with any negativity. I never got “sick of” my job or anything like that. I always liked it at least a little. I just know that I’m done with it. My career is part of my past now. It’s in the rear-view mirror, and I’m not going back.

I tracked spending before I retired, but I sort of half-assed it. I used old, limited data from a time when I was in “saving for retirement” mode.

When I actually retired, I ended up spending a lot more money than normal, especially in the first 6 months. I opened the spigot. I was celebrating. I bought whatever I felt like buying -- a bike, camping gear, a dog, some furniture, a ton of books and music, clothes, some stupid ****. Also, once I retired, I noticed a bunch of stuff that needed replacing or upgrading, which I’d been putting off while working.

Yearly expenses were $5000/yr. higher than expected. Not a lot in actual dollar terms, but looked at as a percentage, that’s 15% higher than what I projected (38K vs. 33K/yr.). That’s not a problem – I jacked up my spending on purpose, and I’ve got plenty of headroom -- but it is substantially higher than what I estimated.

In retrospect, I think I unconsciously kept the estimates as low as I could, because by doing that, I could feel safer and more secure when pulling the plug.

We’ll see how this plays out over the next few years. I feel better now that I have a more realistic estimate of my spending. And I take some comfort knowing that I can dial back expenses 15% if I need to.

However, if you’re approaching retirement, be aware you might tend to underestimate expenses, just like I did.

I was very happy in retirement for the first 6 to 9 months. Gradually, though, that feeling ebbed, and eventually, I returned to my baseline levels of happiness.

I think it’s called hedonic adaptation. If I remember right, most people who win the lottery are back to baseline levels of happiness in about 6 to 12 months, and so are most people diagnosed with cancer. So, it’s not surprising that something similar happens with retirement. We adjust to changes. Retirement becomes “the new normal.”

One distinction, though: If you ask me whether I’m more satisfied with my life now that I’m retired, I’d say “Yes, absolutely.” I’m just saying my day-to-day mood is not all that much better than it was before I retired. Probably a little.

So, just be aware that retirement doesn’t put a permanent smile on your face. If my experience is any gauge, you’ll have a honeymoon period where everything feels great, and then you’ll gradually return to baseline. You might feel a little better on a day-to-day basis, but don’t expect huge changes.

Two caveats:

1. I always enjoyed my work (at least somewhat), and I had already been working in a very easy part-time schedule for years prior to retirement, so I didn’t experience what many people here do -- a miserable/stressful work life, contrasted with the blissful release of retirement. If you have the latter, I’ll bet your honeymoon period will be more enjoyable and long-lasting.

2. It’s possible that the virus and economic collapse took a little wind out of my sails. That might be a factor, too. It’s hard to say.

I don’t want to leave the impression that I’m unhappy in retirement. Not at all. I’m enjoying my retirement and have no regrets.

Once, on another retirement forum, I got blasted for suggesting that people need a sense of meaning/purpose in retirement. Some guy got really pissed with me for saying so, and despite my assurances that if it didn’t apply to him, never mind, he continued to rant and rave about it in all caps. Apparently, some people get very upset with the suggestion that having a sense of meaning in life is important.

So, if this doesn’t fit for you, junk it. I’m talking about me. I’m not talking about what you or anyone else “should” do. I’m just speaking for myself.

I need a sense of meaning and purpose in life. That doesn’t mean I need to be engaged in meaningful activities all the time or even most of the time. I can fart around and waste time with the best of them, and I spend plenty of time just resting, relaxing, and doing nothing in particular. No problem with that.

However, at the end of the day (or life), I need to also feel like I did something meaningful with some of my time. I can’t just fart around all day, every day, and feel good about myself. I’m not wired that way.

So, I knew that part of what happy retirement meant for me was to eventually find “meaningful work.” By that I don’t mean paid employment – I mean an enjoyable project that uses my skills/knowledge and that also, hopefully, makes the world a little better place, even in a small, minor way. My career supplied some of that, so I knew that eventually, I’d need to find something else that scratched that itch.

I didn’t expect to feel that need for a couple years into retirement, though. It was way down my priority list, when planning. I had other sources of meaning (e.g., learning, growth, taking care of animals, etc.) which were more important to me than my career, so I didn’t think I’d feel the need for “meaningful work” right away.

And I didn’t. For the first six months of retirement, I wanted nothing to do with anything that even remotely resembled “w*rk.” Yuck. I just wanted to do whatever I felt like doing, day to day. I wanted to be completely free and unencumbered.

However, after about six months, I felt the need asserting itself. I’ve pondered and experimented quite a bit, and I’m still experimenting, but blogging is working out well for me so far. It’s a good fit for me. I get absorbed in it; the subject (animal afterlife) feels worthwhile to me, and I feel better after doing it.

I am usually able to keep a pretty good balance, where I work on it a couple hours a day, then have the rest of the day “free.” If I go for long stretches (which I can do sometimes, because I lose track of time), I will take a break for as long as I need. I want it to stay enjoyable and not turn into a “job” or an obligation.

So, for anyone who’s like me, the issue of meaningful work may pop up sooner than you expect. It has been a significant piece of the puzzle for me.

I’m single, don’t have a family to occupy my time, and I’m not into watching TV or movies, travel, going to sporting events etc.. So, now that I am retired and don’t have a career, I have a ton of free time. I like it that way – lots of freedom, peace, and spaciousness. But along with that comes the temptation to waste that time on social media.

Social media has its upsides, of course, but the downsides are pernicious and covert. I have to keep an eye on my consumption, or I end up wasting too much time and energy on it. I’ve been aware of the problem for many years, but retirement has made it more salient, because of all the increased free time. I have to keep an eye on it.

For example, it’s very easy for me to go on a Facebook or Reddit group and spend an hour reading threads and making posts. Then I get sucked into discussions that don’t amount to a hill of beans. On Youtube, it’s very easy to spend a lot of time scrolling through the recommendations or subscriptions. News/politics in particular are very toxic and distracting.

So, in retirement, I’ve had to become pretty vigilant about my use of social media. If I’m not careful, I can end up wasting too much of my time and energy on it, and my life suffers. It may sound like a trivial thing, but it has a huge impact on the quality of my day to day life.

------

So, those are my main lessons from the first year of retirement. I learned some other things, but they only pertain to me, not others, so I’ll leave them out. Hopefully, you found something to relate to or some food for thought. Cheers.
Nice thread and posts. Thxs for sharing.!!!

Thanks for the post. #3 hits the mark for us. We want to retire next year and when I run the simulations with "normal" spending, we are good to go. Then I get the what ifs and convince myself that one more year would be a nice buffer. Then I simulate three more years and we would never worry about money. Then I simulate a market crash followed by stagflation. And on, and on, and on it goes until I can never retire. A $47k COLA pension and $55k SS @ 70 should be plenty. But what if....?

Depending on your age, it might be hard to spend more money than you currently do.

I am FIREd 4 years now at 51 with a sub 1% WR, not for any weird planning or legacy reason but because I find it hard to spend more than I actually need to.

As for the OP, I am not any more happy in retirement personally, but I have found that over the past four years, a lot of stress has melted away, and I can feel very content because I feel very safe.

Also, I think everyone has their own FIRE journey, so although mine differs from yours in some ways, I think the idea of a lessons learned in the first year is an excellent idea, so thank you for posting your thoughts.

As for the OP, I am not any more happy in retirement personally, but I have found that over the past four years, a lot of stress has melted away, and I can feel very content because I feel very safe.

Also, I think everyone has their own FIRE journey, so although mine differs from yours in some ways, I think the idea of a lessons learned in the first year is an excellent idea, so thank you for posting your thoughts.

You're welcome. I completely agree about everyone having their own journey. We're all individuals, and everyone finds their own way.

Love this post (and your earlier updates) so much. Thanks for sharing your insights to those of us on the precipice.

Great post. I wanted to compare my thoughts to these after I had been retired for a year. Some were the same, some were different:

1. Hey, an economic collapse. Neat. --> this reinforced my retirement plan, I saw even at the lowest levels it did not impact my retirement lifestyle from a financial perspective.

2. I figured out when I’m going back to work: never --> Agree.

3. I significantly underestimated my expenses -->it is the opposite for me, I overestimated our expenses and have spent a little more than a 3rd of what we planned.

4. The honeymoon lasted about 6 to 9 months --> I am still on the honeymoon, it is still fantastic to get up a be able to decide every day what I want to do, and I have a wide selection of options

5. I needed “meaningful work” sooner than I expected --> my meaningful work is whatever I choose to do.

6. The lure of social media --> I see "social media" as a trap I choose not to get wrapped up in. I want to maintain my mental and physical abilities, focusing on these keeps me away from social media.

We are all figuring out this retirement thing as we go along, the great news is that we are fortunate to be in this position in the first place, and that is what I keep focusing on.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am close to crossing the 9 months mark and have similar experiences. Here are my specific thoughts on your 6 observations based on my experience.

1. Hey, an economic collapse. Neat. Prior to the collapse, I explained to my wife that I had set up these "fortresses" to weather any economic storms. When March came around, I said to her this will be a good test of how well these walls hold. So far, it has held up well. I will make adjustments but I think this is a very good start.

2. I figured out when I’m going back to work: never Last night, I drempt that I was in a stressful working situation, and when I woke up, I was so glad it was only a nightmare and I had a big smile on my face. With that said, I haven't closed off on never working again, but it has to be an ideal work situation.

3. I significantly underestimated my expenses Due to the virus, we're trending toward spending 10k less core expenses and 35k under target budget. I decided to buy a 25 year anniversary gift for my DW and trying to find some travel to help bridge the gap.

4. The honeymoon lasted about 6 to 9 months 9 months and it has become steady state for me.

5. I needed “meaningful work” sooner than I expected I don't but I'm building an arcade and I'm learning alot about carpentry, tools, photoshop. I love it.

6. The lure of social media I'm on this and bogleheads forum a lot more. Maybe I'll get an extra star!

I will add a 7th - my health has significantly improved with all the workouts I do! :dance:

Last edited:
We are all figuring out this retirement thing as we go along, the great news is that we are fortunate to be in this position in the first place, and that is what I keep focusing on.

Yes, it is something you figure out along the way -- a "work in progress," if you'll pardon the "w" word. Maybe a better way to say it is, these are travel notes at mile marker #1. We'll see where the rest of the trail goes.

Pre-retirement planning helped a lot. I want to encourage everyone to do that. I probably overdid it, analyzing and re-analyzing until my eyes bugged out, but hey, that's me.

One thing I learned is that some things will sound like good ideas in the planning stage, but will feel like duds when you actually try them out in retirement. I've had several things like that -- book clubs, volunteer work, even relocation (although I'm still waffling on that one). It's good to make lists of possibilities, but you won't know what you will really like until you get a chance to road-test it.

Two caveats:

------

Have been retired since Jan 2012, Had same experience with items 2,3,4,6. Assume most of us did.

Enjoyed reading your post Eddie. Brings to mind many similar thoughts I've had in the 5 years since retirement. A couple are:
Social Media - truly a time killer. I eventually dropped following everything except for this board and one private Facebook page used by a non-profit I volunteer with. It felt quite freeing to have the extra time and not read all the nastiness posted in socal media.
Economic collapse..neat - my wife asked me what I was doing one day back in March. Told her I was drooling at the low stock market prices and was considering a large increase in our equity holdings. (yes, we did that).
Meaningful work - I do volunteer "work" because I feel like giving back. It's ok but the "work" I now enjoy much more is the fix-it work I do around the home. Used to be I felt I needed to "fix it" before I went back to work or at least I had to work the job around my work schedule. Now I just work my fix-it jobs as I want to, take a break with I want to, and it will get done when it gets done. Much less stress and much more enjoyable.
Thanks for the great post.

Great post ER Eddie! This helps me a great deal as I am close to ER at age 59 1/2. I need to hurry or it won't be considered ER. :)

Happy for you and others, that you have found your "levels". As you said, it is different for everyone...and it should be. No retirement size fits all. Enjoy every day of it!

Well, I finished my first year of retirement at end of May, thought I would jump aboard with reflection in Eddie's format.

1. Hey, an economic collapse, neat.
It has been a good test of my investment strategy. The cash moat certainly was a source of confidence in the dark times. And I am not saying we are out of the woods, far from it.

2. I figured out when I am going back to work: Never. I have toyed with the idea. But my selection criteria make it nearly impossible: part time, no early hours, must be meaningful, must be shorter commute than last job (30 min). I think that makes me officially unemployable.

3. I significantly underestimated my expenses. Well, I didn't. Tracking very closely since I had done quite a bit of analysis. And finished about 10 percent under, due to COVID and a lack of major home projects. But those are coming.

4. The Honeymoon. Still enjoying greatly. I did solo travel to a number of beach locations, a big multi-island snorkeling trip and other beach trips with DW, an epic football trip with DS, visited my college roommate and his wife who was also his college GF, spent a week working on my Spanish at Isla Mujeres, several trips to Texas to visit family & friends (including my fun "new" baby sister I recently found out about, thanks to DNA) and take in live sporting events (football, baseball, men's and women's basketball; got a 12 point buck on one trip but I may have totaled the rental car), trip to Kentucky to visit family, filled out some key music bucket list shows including Bob Seger on final tour, ELO on first trip to DC in 30 years, Randy Bachman (The Guess Who, BTO) on a rare US concert date in a small venue, Dido at the historic Lincoln Theatre other live music shows, visited more microbrews than I can count, and attended oldster spring break on South Padre Island (ended in March right before before lockdown). Yes, CV has resulted in some cancelled shows but hope we are pulling out of it.

5. I needed "meaningful work" sooner than I expected. As I follow mainly my own daily agenda, I also find myself wrapped in a lot of home related projects which I enjoy. I think, dream, plan and reflect a lot more than my time ever allowed while working. I also have regular and very vivid dreams, which I write down immediately after. They are very bizarre but I enjoy logging them and discussing. I read this is a sign of deeper sleep. That seems right.

6. The lure of social media. Covered earlier. I'm not on FB and I do not post on my Twitter (ever) and rarely on Instagram. I do post here and follow colleagues on Linkedin (but increasingly PC, sadly). I do enjoy this forum!

7. Health, activities. I started going to a gym to use some specific machines and augment my biking, hiking, walking, elliptical and weights. Of course they are shut down now but definitely love time to exercise and especially bike.

In lockdown I have enjoyed spending time on my deck, watching birds, reading, listening to music, and counting my blessings.

Let's add this: Ideas for Second Year: more international travel, do some camping? Visit some notable ballparks? How about some national parks? A lot will be solo unless DW decides she is ready to retire.

Meet my "new" nieces (they are in their 20s). Maybe buy a car, I keep shopping.

It will be busy for sure, but not too busy.

Last edited:
ER Eddie--thanks for your post.
Its been 3 1/2 years for me, but really only one year of absolutely no work--(I did on call for the first few.)
The Social media resonates with me. I enjoy this forum almost every day. I do spend too much time on FB, though. That is how I stay connected to far away family and friends. I am consciously working on limiting my time there to less than 30 minutes. The nice weather helps, as the garden and flowers call to me daily!

Enjoy your retirement.

I mostly agree about the “meaningful work”, and I have and still do do volunteer work in several places. But I must confess that it has not been a great replacement for what I got from my professional career. Many places want volunteers, but are not willing to put in the time and resources to manage them and use them well. And sitting around the front desk at the hospital with other retirees (no offense) is not a fun thing for me.

I am toying with the idea that only paid work is going to challenge me the way I want. Note that I said “idea” and I do not plan to work for wages again.

I mostly agree about the “meaningful work”, and I have and still do do volunteer work in several places. But I must confess that it has not been a great replacement for what I got from my professional career. Many places want volunteers, but are not willing to put in the time and resources to manage them and use them well. And sitting around the front desk at the hospital with other retirees (no offense) is not a fun thing for me.

I am toying with the idea that only paid work is going to challenge me the way I want. Note that I said “idea” and I do not plan to work for wages again.

I also had disappointing experiences with volunteer work, so you're not alone there. To me, it felt too much like I was doing unpaid grunt work that benefited the organization more than the clients. It also came along with lots of rules and policies that you had to follow and a time clock to punch. Bottom line, it felt too much like a job, and not a very good one at that.

Other people have found volunteer gigs they like, though, so I'm sure it depends a lot on the individual fit.

I couldn't say whether only paid work will challenge you the way you want to be challenged. I wonder if there is some other challenge out there waiting for you, beyond the type your paid work offered. Maybe something more fun.
But only you would know that. Cheers.

I enjoyed your post ER Eddie.

I have 2 weeks before i fire at 53 1/2.
I am confident that working for money will only be because the person in need is a friend.

Trying to decide if I rent or buy a cheap (50000k or less) place in Florida so i can get a few more months of summer. I live in Portland OR. and we have 2 to 3 months that are more dry than wet, and that needs to change after 40 years.

I do look forward to less stress and a lot of relaxation.

Back
Top Bottom