How long did you work?

albireo13

Full time employment: Posting here.
I was curious ... how long do people work full time before they retire?

For me, I plan to retire this year. It will 41 years of full time employment.
I do not count any years doing odd jobs or part time.

What's normal? what's average?

For me, it was 36 years (21.5 in the Army, 6.5 as a DoD contractor and 8 as a Fed) and then the numbers said I didn't need to do it anymore.

Last edited:
26 years but I stayed home with my kids until all were in school. Have been working part time in the 8 years since retiring but didn’t count that.

22 years of full-time work for me before I semi-FIREd, then another 5 years of part-time, freelance consulting. As of this year, I am about 99% retired, only doing a few hours of paid consulting w*rk per month on average. I'm in my early 50s.

I spent 29 years in my IT career when I retired. Before that I spent 10 years logging and in sawmills. I consider those years earning my Doctorate in The School of Hard Knocks.

Last edited:
27.5 in the military guard reserve and active duty mixed.age 17-45
Civilian age 16-45

40 years in the career I choose and 35 with the same company.

22 years of full-time work for me before I semi-FIREd, then another 5 years of part-time, freelance consulting. As of this year, I am about 99% retired, only doing a few hours of paid consulting w*rk per month on average. I'm in my early 50s.

DW is now 57 and semi-FIREd for two years after a 26 year career and it looks like I will be semi-FIREd in July at age 54 after a 28 year career.

If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life!

Worked 35 years for MegaCorp, then 6 years in academia. So a total of 35 years!

31 years, split between two megacorps.

3 years part/full time during/after high school, then 22 years in the Air Force. Retired and haven't w*rked since. :)

36 years in one job or another as a W-2 employee. 10 years as a 1099 consultant.

43 years when i call it quits in Dec 2020. Jan. 1977 joined USN , got out in Dec 1979, Been where i am now since Jan 1980, i'm done!

35 years.

39 years in IT, all with the same Megacorp (but different jobs within that Megacorp).

I had skipped a grade, when young, so graduated HS at 17 and college at 21, so retired at 60.

stopped working at age 50.

The number of years working depends on what you count as work :)

had two paper routes (one morning 7 days a week, one evening 6 days a week) from ages 12-16.

from ages 16-18 I worked part time as a busboy/host/waiter at a restaurant. About 20-28 hours/week

during college, 18-22, I worked 30-45 hours a week in food service (football and basketball season sent us into overtime), during the summers I worked at the restaurant I started at 16 - and my last summer before my last year I was a janitor at the college full time.

From 22-27, I had my first corporate job programming.

From 27-50 I worked at a large tech company.

So, if you count the paper routes - 38 years.

If you start counting at part time restaurant - 34 years.

If you start counting at full time work during college - 32 years.

If you just count after graduation, 28 years ;)

age 21 to 50 plus 4 summers college and about a year in two stints as a jobshopper aka contract engineer.

heh heh heh - aerospace stuff. My old buddy old pal retired Air Force - had my favorite saying -'if they didn't me pay to work here I'd have to buy a ticket so I could come watch.' ;)

If I only count full time work after graduation from college: 31 years, 7 months, 26 days. But who's counting? :D

Started earning money in my early teens working various part time jobs and then 40 years full time after school.

Back
Top Bottom