How to Help Children Get Into a Home

I wouldn't do it for my kids ... because I believe that it would be difficult to keep from comparing themselves to their better-off neighbors. Day in, day out, seeing little things that make them realize they've got a little less than their neighbors seems like it's not a healthy way to live.

My first house (paid for entirely myself) was a cute little shack on a great lot in an upscale neighborhood. It would have been a tear down for most buyers, but it was a perfect starter home for me (1930s Sears home; 2 BD 1 BA). I spent basically zero time comparing myself to my presumably wealthier neighbors. It was what I could afford at that time - deal with it. :)

P.S. A quick look at Zillow shows that the market value of this house in suburban Cook County, IL has only increased by $10k but property taxes have tripled since I sold it 20 years ago. Even if the Zillow estimate is way off, that's still gotta be discouraging for some suburban Chicago homeowners. :(

" Our granddaughter is a single mother, and there's a state program that meets her 50/50 on cash down payments. We're going to give her $5K and the state's going to match that with $5K for a down payment.

That's very reasonable in our eyes. We also have a bunch of furniture to give.

Do yourself a favor and just give them what you can afford to give the couple. Then, let them handle the rest of the purchase.

Sometimes it's time to stand on your own two feet as a young adult. "

Great comment Bamaman

I had a sitdown with my two daughters a few years ago. I told them what funds I had available for them. They could either take it early as long as it was for a house/business
or wait and inherit it. At the time they were really upset as they didn't want to deal with my passing. They didn't want to talk about it later. But then years later my one daughter wanted to buy a house and asked if the offer was still available. I said yes and she used it for her down payment. She is paying ahead on her mortgage and has reduced the mortgage from $230k to 165k in one year. I think that was money well spent.

My other daughter is a school teacher and can't afford a house. In her case I am giving her her full Roth contribution each year. This allows her to save what she was contributing (not full amount) plus she can always redeem the Roth if she wants a house later. She was going to buy a house previously, and I cashed in my Roth's to cover her down payment, but the inspection found many expensive issues. Since my former Roth's are now taxable, I wanted to transfer to her as her own Roth. She wants to retire early and the Roth will help with that.

In this case it works out for both of them. And I get to know they are enjoying the benefit now, rather than when they are 65 or 70.

Back
Top Bottom