Replacement CC, Autopay already knows it

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This one puzzled me.

Citicard is upgrading cards for no contact use. Got my new one yesterday. New number (I knew this was coming from an email they sent).

I have one autopay set for this card, so I logged on to Netflix to change it.

Netflix already had the new card number on file.

Is this something new?

Spooky.

Not new.
Similar to the situation where you have an autopay established for a card and it gets updated when the card's expiration date is reached. Nothing changes but the expiration date of the card, so the card company updates the recipient automatically. Note that this doesn't always happen, but it's common.

This one puzzled me.

Citicard is upgrading cards for no contact use. Got my new one yesterday. New number (I knew this was coming from an email they sent).

I have one autopay set for this card, so I logged on to Netflix to change it.

Netflix already had the new card number on file.

Is this something new?

Spooky.
Visa (and maybe MasterCard too) offers this service to merchants. If the merchant subscribes to the service, they will get the new number whenever any card they already have on file is replaced.

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/downl...duct-information-fact-sheet-for-merchants.pdf

I had a card compromised and got a new one in the mail. It was my main bill-paying card. About half the vendors got the update automatically, and the other half I had to update. The CC company gave me a list of vendors I paid monthly that HADN'T been updated so I had an easy way to keep track. They only missed one vendor. (Water bill is paid every other month.)

What if I’m changing because a merchant won’t honor a request to cancel autopay?
Then you should cancel that card, not just ask for a new number. If you still like the card program, you can make a new application.

Not new.
Similar to the situation where you have an autopay established for a card and it gets updated when the card's expiration date is reached. Nothing changes but the expiration date of the card, so the card company updates the recipient automatically. Note that this doesn't always happen, but it's common.

Interesting. I haven't experienced that. That would make things a lot easier.

Contrariwise, DW set up an autopay donation for the ASPCA on a Discover card that had the number changed about 2 years ago. The ASPCA doesn't have an easy method of updating the card information. You have to call them, which I find annoying so I didn't do it. So we started getting a notification from Discover that there was a charge against the old number, but that they'd pay it this time. I figured I'd just wait until they stopped paying it and it would go away. Well, we still get that notification every month, and they're still paying it. Very weird, IMO.

I don't know if I like that...not for security reasons, as those companies already have my CC info anyway. I don't like it because entering the info for a new card is how I memorize it when my account number changes! :LOL:

Then you should cancel that card, not just ask for a new number. If you still like the card program, you can make a new application.

Ouch. That's a credit report hit. Not sure you want to go there?

How about just disputing the charge with the credit card company?

Ouch. That's a credit report hit. Not sure you want to go there?

How about just disputing the charge with the credit card company?

Well maybe but that’s why I think credit scores are a scam. Thankfully one card closed at my request won’t affect me. I’ve never let a credit score dictate my actions.

Back
Top Bottom