Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   How are you celebrating NYE? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/how-are-you-celebrating-nye-107164.html)

Nemo2 12-31-2020 10:36 AM

Hanging around waiting for the annual 'ghost of Jacob Marley' visit - he's been delayed this year due to travel restrictions.

Foodwise, I made a big batch of chili the other day, and (in)appropriately enough we'll have that with some Chileno wine.

audreyh1 12-31-2020 10:45 AM

I’m sure my Amsterdam relatives will call at midnight their time. :) Unfortunately for them fireworks are banned in Amsterdam due to the pandemic lockdown. :( Residents usually go crazy with fireworks there on New Years Eve.

O2Bfree 12-31-2020 10:46 AM

We'll walk over to neighbor's house for a few early drinks, socially distanced. She's a healthcare worker, has had the first C19 vaccine, but is still being pretty careful. Nothing big planned for dinner yet, and we'll probably be in bed around 10. Then awake at 12 as this place usually sounds like a war zone on NYE, as there are lots of illegal fireworks available at nearby Indian reservations. If I'm feeling up to it, I'll get up and watch the show at reservation across the water. We could also see the one at the marina in town, but it's been cancelled this year.

pacergal 12-31-2020 11:12 AM

Usually in bed by 10 or so, wake up to neighborhood noise, then back to sleep.
Planning our usual "hor d'oeuvres" type meal, lots of fun, little, delicious snacks.

DGS is here and intrigued with the thought of being able to go outside and make as much loud noise as he wants, he won't make it until midnight, but who cares? He can bang the pots at 9!!

Gumby 12-31-2020 11:20 AM

We'll do the same as we have for the last 30 years or so. A nice dinner - rack of lamb with goat cheese mashed potatoes, asparagus, freshly baked sourdough bread and a nice bottle of Bordeaux, followed by our annual Scrabble game. Probably in bed before midnight. Tomorrow, I'll get up and bake cranberry scones and make walnut honey butter, the young wife will make smoked chicken and butternut squash hash with poached eggs, and we'll have all that for brunch, with orange juice and a bottle of Veuve Clicqout.

Out-to-Lunch 12-31-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacergal (Post 2536228)
DGS is here and intrigued with the thought of being able to go outside and make as much loud noise as he wants, he won't make it until midnight, but who cares? He can bang the pots at 9!!

I can still remember the thrill of that!

Gumby 12-31-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch (Post 2536235)
I can still remember the thrill of that!

When the young wife was a girl, they would go outside and shoot the shotgun at midnight. At my house, we banged pots and pans.

aaronc879 12-31-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOL! (Post 2536144)
Going to bed early. I hope it will be raining hard in order to deter the gunshots and fireworks.

^^This^^

I have been in bed before 11PM for the last several NYEs. I just hope I don't get woken up by the fireworks that are always overdone by private citizens around here. They are illegal but it's never enforced. No public displays this year so the private displays will probably be worse than ever. Earplugs won't be enough but I hope to get a little sleep at least.

Marita40 12-31-2020 11:41 AM

Restaurants aren't open, and take out is getting...old. I will drink a libation while watching Twilight Zone and go to bed early with a good book in hand. Here's to 2021!

RunningBum 12-31-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 2536236)
At my house, we banged pots and pans.

I did that one night to try to scare off a bear that had pulled open a window on my garage that I'd left open a crack for air. A few days later I wondered why a pot was so wobbly on the stove. Then I remembered what I had done. Pots were probably more durable back then, and I was hitting them together pretty damn hard!

W2R 12-31-2020 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We plan to stay home, safe from the crazy insane drunk drivers. I expect that will be worse this year than ever before! New Orleans has a tendency to go overboard with celebrations so the roads will probably be littered with automobile accidents.

We don't drink so there will be no need to stock up on booze. I'll stay up until way past midnight since my usual bedtime is around 3 AM. I might watch the fireworks on TV, or on the internet. I'll listen to F tell me that nothing is going to change and how bleak the country's future is, and even though I know he's always right, I'll be happy anyway. To me, the end of 2020 seems like a terrific excuse to be happy. We're gonna tie up 2020 and put a bow on it! ;D :dance:

CoolRich59 12-31-2020 12:34 PM

I'll be doing what I have traditionally done: stay home, have a nice fire, watch a movie, and, if I'm still awake at midnight, give the DW a kiss.

I actually started doing this back in college. I liked to have a good time as much as anyone, but it seemed that on New Years Eve people would go overboard and it wasn't fun to watch.

So, I decided to take a different approach. I had my girlfriend (now DW) over. We made a pizza, and watched an old movie. It was a very pleasant evening. (It also had the added bonus of enabling me to watch football on New Years Day without a hangover. ;D)

gayl 12-31-2020 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hoping for dry weather for a hike. Otherwise just bowl games Attachment 37205

frayne 12-31-2020 12:38 PM

I may actually shower in-between football games.

CoolRich59 12-31-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2536143)
Picking up an uncooked Big Lou pizza from Lou Malnatti’s on the way home from the dr.

For the win! :dance:

It has been ages since we've had Lou Malnati's. I think we will do the same tonight. My mouth is watering already.

RunningBum 12-31-2020 12:58 PM

Oh, we're also going to go skiing. It may rain, but that's our thing. We've been out in some pretty bad conditions and stayed out since we were having a good time together, so maybe we should be dating. 2020 hasn't been all bad! Besides, it's so close even if we make just a run or two it's no big loss.

flintnational 12-31-2020 01:37 PM

Staying in. Just the two of us.

Champagne
Caesar salad
King Crab w Drawn Butter
Asparagus w Hollandaise
Berries w Whipped Cream

Ole Red 29 12-31-2020 01:56 PM

DW and I hanging with 3 other couples in the neighborhood at one of their houses. Potluck dinner with cocktails and Champaign at midnight. Not the safest approach covid wise but certainly not the worst.

Dawg52 12-31-2020 02:01 PM

Pizza and beer at home with the dog. The dog won't have beer tho.

Dtail 12-31-2020 02:03 PM

Eating some frozen stuff from Trader Joe's and just hanging at home.
Will have a drink at midnight in our lanai with temps at 68 degrees at that time.