What brand recliner should my husband get?

momoftwo

Recycles dryer sheets
Appreciate any direction. I searched threads and only came up with quite old info.

We've been in our retirement home three years and DH has been wanting a new recliner to fit our new space.
Looking for a manual, wider seat model.
Willing to spend about 1K.

Is LazyBoy still a good brand?
We've searched review sites and 'best' lists and are more confused now.
Several have recommended Ashley recliners which is surprising to me.
I like the looks of most Ashley furniture but haven't ever considered them to be of superior quality or durability. Am I mistaken?

Any opinions are welcome.

This going to sound weird, but I would look at a discount furniture place and just give some a try. About 3 years ago we bought a recliner love seat at Bob's Discount. It is powered, but they had a manual version (if you have access to power, it is the way to go). Comfortable, looks nice, has worn well. Gets used every day for at least a few hours. Paid around $800.

Most recliners I looked at are steel construction, including the one we bought. That does make them heavy and harder to move. In my opinion, unless you go very high end, they are all the same with a different name.

JMHO.

Is LazyBoy still a good brand?

We have a few La-Z-Boy items in our house, and their quality is far above most of their competition. Yes it's more expensive, but for example, our recliner is over 20 years old, and still looks great despite us raising 3 kids and giving the chair daily use. Everything we've bought after that is holding up similarly.

Definitely go to a local La-Z-Boy showroom and check what they have. They are a bit more expensive than other brands, but I think they are better quality.

A year ago, mom needed a new recliner and wanted one with a motor to help her up/out. They had a big sale at the time and the one she purchased was $2500 all-in, which I thought was a lot. However, it was on sale - if I remember correctly it was originally $1000-$1500 more.

The delivery folks did everything for her start to finish and took her old recliner.

She's been extremely happy with it.

I had a La-Z-Boy recliner when we moved into this home six years ago, and I was never really happy with it.

Last year we went into BTD territory and I got one of these. Most comfortable thing I've ever sat in, and just an incredible experience. I could happily spend all day in it. If you have a dealer near you, I highly recommend trying one out.

https://www.stressless.com/en

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 6.33.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 6.33.27 PM.png
    502.6 KB · Views: 95
I had a La-Z-Boy recliner when we moved into this home six years ago, and I was never really happy with it.

Last year we went into BTD territory and I got one of these. Most comfortable thing I've ever sat in, and just an incredible experience. I could happily spend all day in it. If you have a dealer near you, I highly recommend trying one out.

+1. They're expensive but they last forever. My parents had a set that were over 20 years old and still as good as the day they bought them, as long as you give the leather a little care. None of the conventional La-Z-Boy, Barcaloungers, etc. will hold up nearly as long - so the Stressless is a good value in the end. We had cheaper recliners but they were too bulky and broke down in just a few years. DW and I bought our Stressless recliners a couple years ago, we just waited for a good sale - they come from time to time. I doubt we'll ever buy anything but Stressless recliners - if we even have to replace ours...

We have a LazyBoy store next town over.
I think we'll go sit on a few this week.
Glad to hear most feel the quality is still there.

The design of the Stressless chair is pretty cool. Very different from the typical recliner look. Probably too modern for DH.
I would love that sleek style for myself.

We've vacillated lately on purchases.
Try to buy quality and hope it lasts? Or buy disposable and just keep replacing?
We are tempted to see if the Costco recliner would work. Not impressed by the style but the price is good and quality is probably usual Costco level.

We haven't been browsing stores in over a year. It might be fun to see what's out there after Amazon-ing it for so long.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

LazyBoy = Recliner, the masters!

I can also recommend the Fjords brand of recliner..stressless style and each chair comes in at least two sizes

I dunno. The Lazyboy triple sofa / double recliner has been here for 4 years now, has hosted 2 large dogs sleeping and licking, still looks great and wifey advises that I snore after 30 minutes.

+1. I had a big leather lazy-boy, but this is so much better. They aren't cheap by any means, but it was money well spent. When my back gets sore from whatever (which is too often nowadays) I just take a day of hangin out in this chair and it makes it better. There is a ring that goes on the bottom for taller people, and they have bigger and smaller models. Highly recommend.

We bought 2 love seat reclining Lazy boys more than 20 years ago. Opted for a very high grade leather. Cost us a fortune at that time. Can't remember exactly but it was at least $2K each. The condition today is as good as when we bought it. Love them.

+++1

We have four of them. One's about 20 years old and in great shape, one was a floor model/clearance at our local high end furniture store, and the other two were sales. So we have two at our house and two at our summer house. Don't watch movies without them!

They do go on sale, usually $200-$400 off, but are even then are still BTD territory.

EDIT - and they come in three sizes.

Last edited:

I bought our first Stressless recliner nearly 30 years ago and it's still going strong after replacing a couple of bushings a few years ago. We bought a second one a couple of years ago so we each have one. Definitely BTD territory but their style is timeless and they are super comfortable. They used to all be made in Norway but the company now has factories in Asia and the US.

I once went to the Hickory, NC furniture mart looking for a recliner. After going through a million square feet of furniture, two recliners stuck out as superior--Hancock & Moore and the Barcolounger.

I ordered a Hancock & Moore cordovan leather wingback recliner with down insulation, and it was like sitting/laying in heaven. Cost was about $1,000.

I later ran up on a matching Hancock & Moore leather hide-a-bed for $200 in an estate sale. You cannot touch any H&M couch for less than $5,000, and I think that couch cost about $7,000 new. And with goose down and feather padding, it makes for a great nap.

It's the highest quality upholstered furniture available on the retail market--in the world.

I also have a LazyBoy leather recliner, and it's okay to sit/recline in--but the quality is junk. Note: My wife and I have both been through upholstery school.

I've never heard of Hancock & Moore.
Another to look into though it sounds like it' would be out of our price range.
Thanks!

I have a couple Lazy-Boy’s and have had their loveseat and couch in the past, and everything held up very well. My only concern with them at this point would be whether or not they’ve maintained their quality. So many old name brand suck now so it’s hard to say.

Personally, I’ve been looking at a true zero gravity chair. If you have a store near you, I’d definitely check them out. For sure, a blow that dough purchase.

https://relaxtheback.com/products/hale-aircomfort-recliner

You got me thinking this could be a good alternative (our 25+ year old La-Z-Boy is looking like it could be used on the set of "Frasier") but their website is absolutely terrible. Takes forever to load, buggy, pop-ups, and apparently impossible to determine price. BOO!

-edit: Using some Google magic, it appears that the chair you have pictured (or similar) is in the $2500-$3000 range. That's a bit pricey for my liking.

Last edited:
You got me thinking this could be a good alternative (our 25+ year old La-Z-Boy is looking like it could be used on the set of "Frasier") but their website is absolutely terrible. Takes forever to load, buggy, pop-ups, and apparently impossible to determine price. BOO!

-edit: Using some Google magic, it appears that the chair you have pictured (or similar) is in the $2500-$3000 range. That's a bit pricey for my liking.

Yes, the Stressless website can be somewhat frustrating.
The thing to do is visit a furniture store that normally handles them and try a few out. That's what we did -- I was initially attracted by seeing one in the store window.

Many different models, and each model comes in different sizes and coverings, so you can pretty much customize what you get. Definitely a BTD item, but I'm extremely happy with it.

Price is why we bought from the Fjord line. I wouldn't recommend buying either brand from a website find a store that sells them and then sit in several models..

You can't really make a judgement about price until you see and sit in them...

We have 4 Fjords that we bought in sets of two from the local store.

Spring is a good time to buy as Fjord has a yearly sale and we were able to also get a 20% sale discount from the store.

We just replaced our 20 year old furniture with a Lazyboy set, Love it! Very comfortable, well made. Our set has both a power recliner and manual one. Due to my arthritis, I have never been able to work a manual recliner very well. But the LazyBoy one has an easy pull lever.

StressLess is also wonderful. We are looking at that for replacing the chairs in the TV room, which will now be my reading and meditation room.

OP--good luck on your search and let us know what you find!

Please do not buy a Lazyboy. There is a group of over 1,000 dissatified customers on FB and over 500 BBB complaints. The furniture has really changed in the last few years. Made with OSB and not hardwoods, problems with "leather" peeling, issues with upolstery.

We bought in 2020 and had a chair delivered broken and without the remote Nov. 2020. First technician said no issues. Send video to BBB and the company. Second technician said there was obvious quality issue in that the chair was not attached to the base. Ordered parts. Got parts made third appointment and yes, the parts were wrong. The technician ordered more parts. Got the parts and had two confirmed appointments blown off and no one came. Final result, the chair is going to be replaced but not until MARCH 2022. Note this whole process took from Nov. 2020 to June 2021. Warranty is worthless even in the first 12 months. Read the stories on the BBB website and FB.

Please do not buy a Lazyboy. There is a group of over 1,000 dissatified customers on FB and over 500 BBB complaints. The furniture has really changed in the last few years. Made with OSB and not hardwoods, problems with "leather" peeling, issues with upolstery.

We bought in 2020 and had a chair delivered broken and without the remote Nov. 2020. First technician said no issues. Send video to BBB and the company. Second technician said there was obvious quality issue in that the chair was not attached to the base. Ordered parts. Got parts made third appointment and yes, the parts were wrong. The technician ordered more parts. Got the parts and had two confirmed appointments blown off and no one came. Final result, the chair is going to be replaced but not until MARCH 2022. Note this whole process took from Nov. 2020 to June 2021. Warranty is worthless even in the first 12 months. Read the stories on the BBB website and FB.

Lazyboy’s quality has definitely gone down hill. They are having serious delivery delays. Many people are waiting 7 to 9 months for delivery. Please do check the BBB website. Not the company it once was.

Back
Top Bottom