Odd ss payment

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm conservator for my disabled brother.

He usually receives his monthly SSDI check mid-month; direct deposit.

Yesterday (5th of the month), he received what seems to be an additional payment in the form of 20% of his regular benefit.

While not too eager to question extra money on his behalf, I'm curious if anyone here might have a clue. The entry had the same verbiage as his regular check but the whole things sound a bit strange.

I checked the SS website and he's supposed to receive another regular payment mid-month but found no other information.

Any insight appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm conservator for my disabled brother.

He usually receives his monthly SSDI check mid-month; direct deposit.

Yesterday (5th of the month), he received what seems to be an additional payment in the form of 20% of his regular benefit.

While not too eager to question extra money on his behalf, I'm curious if anyone here might have a clue. The entry had the same verbiage as his regular check but the whole things sound a bit strange.

I checked the SS website and he's supposed to receive another regular payment mid-month but found no other information.

Any insight appreciated.

Depending on your state, it could be a state stimulus payment. California's Golden State stimulus payment is around $600 and was sent to disabled adults on SSDI as well (apparently).

While you don't want to "probe" you do want to make sure this wasn't a mistake that can cost you in terms of a lot of time and / or money in cleaning up later. Happened to a senior I know whose double checks for several months ended up not being the result of government munificence but due to a technology glitch / clerical error that was later caught. When the error was finally noticed, the govt accused the senior of dishonestly pocketing checks she wasn't entitled to and her daughter had to spend a lot of time "rectifying" even though it was not the family's fault. This was a while ago but you do want to check just to make sure that they don't later blame your brother for any potential mistake on their part

Last edited:
if the money was direct deposited to the account. I'd guess it's legitimate.

If the gov't made a mistake, they will simply pull back out the money. They cannot blame a recipient for a direct deposit as the sender is the one making the mistake.

I'd just keep a float in the account to be able to absorb any pull back, so as to not incur bank fees for falling below minimum amount in account.

if the money was direct deposited to the account. I'd guess it's legitimate.

If the gov't made a mistake, they will simply pull back out the money. They cannot blame a recipient for a direct deposit as the sender is the one making the mistake.

I'd just keep a float in the account to be able to absorb any pull back, so as to not incur bank fees for falling below minimum amount in account.

They shouldn't blame the recipient for any mistakes on their part, but they sure did. Took her daughter a large chunk of time cleaning it up and making the government "good" because Mom had already spent the money, thinking it was hers to spend.

Also, good heads-up about the direct deposit. The senior was receiving paper checks while OP's brother is receiving direct deposit. OP should still call and check to figure out what this extra money is for, just to make sure this isn't a mistake or - worse - a scam.

I wouldn't bother calling since it was direct deposit.
Whoever, a person gets on the phone, will be pretty far removed from the decision to deposit and doesn't actually control it anyhow. Worse is they could screw it up and submit a request to pull the money that is legitimate.

We just had a bank deposit our money into someone else's account. The bank admitted their error and corrected it. The recipient did nothing.
They will just see a deposit, and then a pull back out of the money, and get a letter from the bank explaining their error.

Where it causes a big problem is when people get a large sum and then spend the money. It's an issue as they can't pay it back.

I wouldn't bother calling since it was direct deposit.
Whoever, a person gets on the phone, will be pretty far removed from the decision to deposit and doesn't actually control it anyhow. Worse is they could screw it up and submit a request to pull the money that is legitimate.

We just had a bank deposit our money into someone else's account. The bank admitted their error and corrected it. The recipient did nothing.
They will just see a deposit, and then a pull back out of the money, and get a letter from the bank explaining their error.

Where it causes a big problem is when people get a large sum and then spend the money. It's an issue as they can't pay it back.

Check this out:

https://www.insider.com/ex-911-dispatcher-arrested-for-not-returning-accidental-million-2021-4

It's hard for me to fathom why someone would use a large sum like this, that isn't theirs, to make a large purchase. Aside from the ethical concern of it being wrong, is it a case of an undeveloped mind that has trouble thinking beyond the short term, or did she really think she could get away with it? :facepalm:

If I am given too much change in a store, I point it out, and return the difference. I can't get my head around why someone would spend large amounts that don't belong to them.

Did your brother have any earned income in 2020 typically the social security administration would apply any adjustments to his earnings record and adjust his social security payments in October

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

It's hard for me to fathom why someone would use a large sum like this, that isn't theirs, to make a large purchase. Aside from the ethical concern of it being wrong, is it a case of an undeveloped mind that has trouble thinking beyond the short term, or did she really think she could get away with it? :facepalm:

If I am given too much change in a store, I point it out, and return the difference. I can't get my head around why someone would spend large amounts that don't belong to them.

Just saying that some people think different...

As an example, when my mom was teaching kindergarten and they caught a young boy stealing... they called the mom in to explain to her what he did... SOOO, what did mom say to the thieving boy? Not why did you do it but WHY DID YOU GET CAUGHT!!!

As one comedian says.... you cannot help stupid...

Did your brother have any earned income in 2020 typically the social security administration would apply any adjustments to his earnings record and adjust his social security payments in October

+1

DW started SS February 2020. In October she received an additional payment, retroactive to February, for 2019 earned income, since it was not in their system in February. This included the adjustment for the October payment. Her regular payment went up starting in November.

This year she received a retroactive adjustment in March for 2020 W-2 earned income. We expected there will be an additional retroactive adjustment this month for her 2020 1099 earned income.

Edited to add: she did get a letter explaining this, about a month after the deposits.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

That's possible. The new payment is only $400 so even if he spends it and they want it back later its no big deal. (Unlike a million!)

That's possible. The new payment is only $400 so even if he spends it and they want it back later its no big deal. (Unlike a million!)

True, and as long as it doesn't repeat, it would be hard for the gummint to claim some kind of fraud though they may eventually come looking for it. YMMV

+1

DW started SS February 2020. In October she received an additional payment, retroactive to February, for 2019 earned income, since it was not in their system in February. This included the adjustment for the October payment. Her regular payment went up starting in November.

This year she received a retroactive adjustment in March for 2020 W-2 earned income. We expected there will be an additional retroactive adjustment this month for her 2020 1099 earned income.

Edited to add: she did get a letter explaining this, about a month after the deposits.

Well, that could be it as well. I'll be on the lookout for a letter. Leave it to the gov't to send an explanation after the fact tho!

Well, that could be it as well. I'll be on the lookout for a letter. Leave it to the gov't to send an explanation after the fact tho!

In fairness, I think most folks would take the money first. :dance: Though at the same time would be best.

Many are not as concerned as you (rightfully) are to make sure the money is legit.

And I don't count the earlier post about the Million dollars as being at all the same as your case. She moved the money and closed the account. Clearly she knew it was an error.

In fairness, I think most folks would take the money first. :dance: Though at the same time would be best.

Many are not as concerned as you (rightfully) are to make sure the money is legit.

And I don't count the earlier post about the Million dollars as being at all the same as your case. She moved the money and closed the account. Clearly she knew it was an error.

Thanks. I'm not really concerned about SS overpaying him by $400 but I was quite curious on the 'why'. If I do get a letter of explanation I'll report back!

Stupid person thinking they could get away with the 1.2 Million.

I had a similar situation , and extra $65,000 was deposited into my 401K.
I did nothing about it, other than to informally talk to an SEC agent, who wanted me to follow up, but I didn't.

I just left it there, and sure enough a few months later, it disappeared .....

Nobody ever sent me a letter, or told me what happened.

:LOL: Not surprising... :D

As expected, today we received an extra SS payment for DW, 2 weeks before her regular SS is due. I''m sure this is the adjustment for her 2020 1099 income, we'll see what the followup letter says. :)

Make sure it's SS. Not all checks from the US Treasury are SS... could be IRS, for instance. The SS web site probably has all payments and reasons, but that's a guess on my part.

Make sure it's SS. Not all checks from the US Treasury are SS... could be IRS, for instance. The SS web site probably has all payments and reasons, but that's a guess on my part.

No, it's definitely from SS. The bank entry of 'from' is identical to his regular monthly payment. Including my name as 'Representative Payee'.

I did check the SS site but found no explanation there.

No, it's definitely from SS. The bank entry of 'from' is identical to his regular monthly payment. Including my name as 'Representative Payee'.

I did check the SS site but found no explanation there.

I think at this point, the only thing to worry about is to keep enough in the account that any potential overpayment can be taken back without triggering some kind of overdraft. IOW don't spend the money yet. YMMV

Mystery solved!

I received at letter today from SS that his payment was to adress an underpayment. Better late tham never but one would expect that they'd be able to send the letter first...anyway money in the bank!

Thanks to all for the comments.

Last edited:
Mystery solved!

I received at letter today from SS that his payment was to adress an underpayment. Better late tham never but one would expect that they'd be able to send the letter first...anyway money in the bank!

Thanks for bringing us up to date. Your brother is fortunate to have you as his advocate. Good on you!

Mystery solved!

Good to hear!

Social security will eventually send you a letter explaining the additional funds. If you don’t get a letter, then I suspect the money was in error. Therefore no letter in 6 weeks, make the call.

Back
Top Bottom